• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best Rolex/Tudor case for value? Phong/Bivintage/JKF

cacti

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
27/10/23
Hey all!

I'm looking to build a vintage Tudor 7016 or Rolex 5013. Probably both, eventually.

I'm currently case/dial hunting, after doing some research on the topic it seems like Phong is the best quality but expensive.

My question is, it worth that much extra money versus say a Bivintage case? I've also read some reviews that his (Phong) lug holes are not gen specs.

Is Phong overrated? Would i be paying more for a mediocre build?

Thanks in advance!

KGZ

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
28/9/22
I’d say it depends on your budget and the other parts that you’ll be using for your build.

If you are going to be using a gen movement on your Rolex build then Phong is your safest bet.

The dials that you intend to use matter too as there are variations in sizes so you need to check whether they are fit for the case. Crown/tube is also another variable to take into account as you need to check if the case would accept it.

JKF would be a nice base for a budget build if their cases weren’t so inconsistent in sizes making the fitting of aftermarket plexis such as Sternkreuz of Clark problematic and frequently requiring the use of hypocement. Also their bezel assembly is absolute crap so you’ll need to source another and thats an additional cost that ranges between approx 80 (for a Clark one) to 180 (for a VN one). In between you have the one offered by watchman48 on eBay.

Bivintage cases are good value for money compared to Phong IMO. I have a Tudor 79090 build on a bivintage case and I quite like it even if the bezel sits a bit too high for my liking.

All these cases will require work on the CGs, the lugs and other areas anyways.

Phong is undoubtedly the best of all 3 but it’s up to you to decide whether it’s worth it to spend that much on a case that will need to be reworked.

Last edited:

dax007

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/4/23
Usa
KGZ got it 100% ...From my experience too... Phong is the best for the most part but its gonna cost you 3x of a BIvintage case.. The Franken world is all about the details... Or you can get a JKF /JK case and have a modder do about 200$ labor on the CG.. Prob come out nice, however lots of wait time..

I love my Bivintage case except for the BEZEL.. I need to gett someone to work on mine..

Reactions: cacti and KGZ

cacti

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
27/10/23
If you are going to be using a gen movement on your Rolex build then Phong is your safest bet.

Thanks for the feedback! Why is that, just more gen-like specs?

All these cases will require work on the CGs, the lugs and other areas anyways.
What exactly needs to be done to these?

KGZ got it 100% ...From my experience too... Phong is the best for the most part but its gonna cost you 3x of a BIvintage case.. The Franken world is all about the details... Or you can get a JKF /JK case and have a modder do about 200$ labor on the CG.. Prob come out nice, however lots of wait time..

I love my Bivintage case except for the BEZEL.. I need to gett someone to work on mine..
Appreciate the feedback, what's up with the bezel?

Reactions: Dave2302

dax007

12/4/23
Usa
Thanks for the feedback! Why is that, just more gen-like specs?

What exactly needs to be done to these?

Appreciate the feedback, what's up with the bezel?
cacti--- Tje JKF/JF for non watch collectors would NEVER know the difference!!!.. never.. then the rest of the watch collectors prob 90% would consider these CASE changes to be very small changes... BUT to the hard core vintage guys WE WANT THEM as close to gen as possible..

If you are using a GEN movement- like gent said - try to go Phong.. Yes Phong is the gent that modifies the viet cases and are normally best quality gen like u can get, but I believe 1200-1500 for a case...

I am happy with a VIETNAM 500$ case from BIvintage and having a good modder do his thing to the CGs.. Else don't do any modding..
The Vietnam cause is more gen like out of the box and works with all gen parts vs JKF.. though some cheap cases will work fine too, but I am not knowledge .. Good modders know how to work around issues.. like sanding crystal, and doing odd modifications to make watch work pefect..

That's were my BIvintage build comes into this.. They did a fair job on the build and did fix a issue I had(customer service was great), but a Yodog build would of never had these issues I had.. BEZEL movement is way to tight, crown to short.. just some minor things...

I am prob gonna send my to YODOG and swap out movement for a SWISS ETA and fix the bezel and extend the crown.. these are prob dumb issues for a normal person , but I enjoy the watch much more!! Don't get me wrong I have had a A2836 that was serviced and it felt like a SWISS ETA..

cacti

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
27/10/23
cacti--- Tje JKF/JF for non watch collectors would NEVER know the difference!!!.. never.. then the rest of the watch collectors prob 90% would consider these CASE changes to be very small changes... BUT to the hard core vintage guys WE WANT THEM as close to gen as possible..

If you are using a GEN movement- like gent said - try to go Phong.. Yes Phong is the gent that modifies the viet cases and are normally best quality gen like u can get, but I believe 1200-1500 for a case...

I am happy with a VIETNAM 500$ case from BIvintage and having a good modder do his thing to the CGs.. Else don't do any modding..
The Vietnam cause is more gen like out of the box and works with all gen parts vs JKF.. though some cheap cases will work fine too, but I am not knowledge .. Good modders know how to work around issues.. like sanding crystal, and doing odd modifications to make watch work pefect..

That's were my BIvintage build comes into this.. They did a fair job on the build and did fix a issue I had(customer service was great), but a Yodog build would of never had these issues I had.. BEZEL movement is way to tight, crown to short.. just some minor things...

I am prob gonna send my to YODOG and swap out movement for a SWISS ETA and fix the bezel and extend the crown.. these are prob dumb issues for a normal person , but I enjoy the watch much more!! Don't get me wrong I have had a A2836 that was serviced and it felt like a SWISS ETA..
Thanks!!

Any experience with https://www.vintagewatchpart.net/ (Ruby) ?

dax007

12/4/23
Usa
Thanks!!

Any experience with https://www.vintagewatchpart.net/ (Ruby) ?
Unfort.. no.. I have had great experience with
1) ebay BIvintage - he is on RWI as well
2) RAFFLES

that's it..

I hear Rudy has nice real nice stuff but take a long time and again I have no experience..

The good think about BIvintage and RAFFLES is that take NORMAL PP purchase so u got some protection!

in the end you show use a RWI Trusted source.. There still no guarantee from enroute issues, but the trusted vendors want to make sure u get what u paid for -else they wont be trusted vendors for long..

Reactions: Dave2302 and KGZ

cacti

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
27/10/23
Rumor is that Ruby is deceased and the website has been taken over by someone else. So I'd personally steer clear from that vendor for the moment.
Very good to know thanks

Reactions: Dave2302

Singapore9

Renowned Member
Patron
9/8/10

Good case options are sadly dwindling :(

Manray

Renowned Member
Certified
18/8/14
Rumor is that Ruby is deceased and the website has been taken over by someone else. So I'd personally steer clear from that vendor for the moment.

What? rumor? Where did you hear that?

Manray

Renowned Member
Certified
18/8/14
Murdered! That's horrible! why was she murdered?

cacti

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
27/10/23

@dax007 how's it going? I just ordered a bivintage case. Curious how you liked the plastic bezel insert and pip it came with. Did you end up replacing it and if so with what?

dax007

12/4/23
Usa
@dax007 how's it going? I just ordered a bivintage case. Curious how you liked the plastic bezel insert and pip it came with. Did you end up replacing it and if so with what?
Hello cacti..
1. Bezel insert honestly no issue.. I have a gen 1680 bezel and gen 16803 bezel though not the same era but so hard to tell on vintage unless you looking got FAT FONT or some special.

2. PIP. YES 💯 I had to changed! I had bivintage modder in California do it when he had to fix a issue I had.. the PIP he used was excellent.matches hands and dial markers..

Pm me and I can give u his info whatsapp. Problem is shipping a 800 to 1k viet watch can he pricey. So you may be better off just paying a gen used insert that matches. Or replace PIP yourself but I don't how hard it is... yodog has amazing PiP upgrades. Plus he is detailed oriented and won't use junk..

Try to get bivintage to use swis eta.. they did not have for me and used a a2836 which when serviced can b nice but having a2836 serviced is 100 to 200 vs swiss eta which feels great out of box.

Also don't waste 50$ on their waterproofing service. I don't think it did much for me plus they don't pressure test anyways... I never plan on submerging a watch but like to be able to WASH my dam hands with no condensation after or sweat and no condensation. That pissed me off with all reps. Whether highend or cheap end it's a 50 /50.

Wish all modders offered pressure testing. ..

Overall you are gonna love it but the PIP and bezel action will need to be worked on. Yodog can fix both for reasonable..

Bivintsge will tell you the tudor 79090 isnsuppse to turn hard but mine was ridiculous... again the value bivintage provides is dam good overall