• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best Bathyscaphe these days? GF vs ZF?

xcarrerassanchez

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/4/20
At least, in Trusty, the difference in price is huge, 360 ZF and 490 for the GF...always talking about the black-out ceramic version

EDIT: I just saw that the titanium version of the ZF is priced at 430$ so only 60$ difference

Last edited:

micksmith1987

Renowned Member
1/9/18
Ok, so both watches arrived. I am kinda busy today, so won't be able to do a good side-by-side pics. Tomorrow I will upload plenty of pics I promise. But to be honest, there is no surprise: GF is (marginally) better.

xcarrerassanchez

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/4/20
Ok, so both watches arrived. I am kinda busy today, so won't be able to do a good side-by-side pics. Tomorrow I will upload plenty of pics I promise. But to be honest, there is no surprise: GF is (marginally) better.

Did your TD tell you anything about which one is more reliable movement wise?

Thanks in advance

addingwatch

Known Member
Patron
27/2/07

Any chance on seeing those pics?

Thanks.

cazapata25

Horology Curious
1/2/20
Great!! I think the 43mm Bathyscaphe is a spectacular watch. I'm really interested in having it. @mickszym You could recommend where to buy it, I am a newbie here

micksmith1987

Renowned Member
1/9/18
Ok, my apologies for the delay. It turns out family life needs a lot of time!

I got both watches last Monday but didn’t have time to take good photos and to write up my comments. When it comes to photos, the ZF is always on the right/bottom (it has a tiny white price tag attached). I had to take the photos today in daylight. In the second batch of pics, GF date is 1 and ZF is 27. FYI, my wrist is 14.5 cm; the single wristshots are GF

Quick Summary:
GF is marginally better but not sure if 60 USD better. It is close to gen, I’d say first class rep, but wouldn’t call it a super rep/NWBIG. Straps suck a bit. But let me share my experiences:

Case:
Both are really good, the finishing is better on GF but it is a subtle difference. I don’t have any experience with this particular model of the gen, so I can’t say 100% which is closer to gen. GF looks nicer, though.

Dials:
Both look ok, I think GF is just a bit more shiny and the print quality is more gen like (but hard to judge by just photos of the gen). Oh and the lume is better on ZF

Hands:
No difference.

Datewheel:
Both are good, but GF has a slightly lighter DW background which is closer to gen.

Bezel and Insert:
Both are ok, but not spectacular. GF bezel works a bit better. Firm and has a nice click to it.

Crown:
GF for the win. Better quality and works really nice.

Caseback and movement decoration:
I think the movements are the same, just decorated in a slightly different way. GF is a bit closer to gen, but there are still noticeable differences.

Straps:
Honestly, I think both are bad. They are really tough and stiff. Now, the thing is that the gen is initially quite stiff too. Maybe when I break them in they will be better. By they way, the buckle is wrong on the GF. ZG got it right.

Movements:
Ok, no complains, both are pretty accurate and power reserve is more than 40 hours. GF crown is much more stable and simply feels nicer.

The X-Factor (Wow effect)
Here is the biggest difference that maybe is not clear from the photos. When you hold both watches in your hands, the one that is cooler, more-gen-like, beautiful, however you want to describe it, is the GF.

FAQs:
1. Is it a super rep? No, I don’t think it is even NWBIG, but pretty much a first class rep.
2. ZF or GF? GF
3. How does it wear? On my 14.5 cm wrist it does not seems that big
4. Do I recommend it? Honestly, I don’t know… I was super stoked when ordering the watch, I’ve always thought that I wanted a Blancpain, but I did not fell in love with this one. I had an Omega Seamaster Ceramic last month and it felt much better. Also, it was a better rep.

PICS:

addingwatch

Known Member
Patron
27/2/07
I appreciate the great review. I had planned on getting the GF myself, but after your comments, now I am not sure. How is the rotor noise on the GF?

Thanks.

micksmith1987

Renowned Member
1/9/18
5cm length; 23mm lug to lug width; it is surprisingly comfortable (although, I'd say that the 2019 omega seamaster ceramic is more comfortable)

Reactions: addingwatch

addingwatch

Known Member
Patron
27/2/07
5cm length; 23mm lug to lug width; it is surprisingly comfortable (although, I'd say that the 2019 omega seamaster ceramic is more comfortable)

Are the Blancpain and the Omega about the same size? More comfortable because of the Omega strap? Or something else?

micksmith1987

Renowned Member
1/9/18
More photos in daylight (GF version). To be honest, I've been wearing the GF version for a week now and it is growing on me. I'm still not sure if I keep it, but it is actually pretty cool.