• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best Action Movies

Tim4682

Supporter
Certified
27/10/13
NC, USA
Give me your recommendations…

Nothing obvious (weve all seen every Rocky, the John Wicks, etc). Give me the good stuff thats off the beaten path (no language restrictions)…

Ill start:

Man from Nowhere
The Night Come for Us
The Raid (all of them)
Upgrade

Last edited:

shinynewbling25

aprilia
29/1/15
Where your daughter is
Hey, what age range of movies? 1992 like Hard Boild or 1997/8 Starship troopers? 80's stuff? Or more recent stuff? Just trying to see how far to go back to think of out of the super mainstream movies. Also what kind of action? Can Indiana Jones be action in this category? Your examples are people kicking a$$ and fight scenes right? I can go there, lol. Explosions and shooting? Or thriller/suspense/action? I've got some thinking to do.

How did you like Upgrade?
I heard of The Raid, haven't watched it.

As a child of the 80's/90's Arnold and Sylvester own the category for me.

Inside Man with Clive Owen (Denzel got all the media attention but I thought Clive was great)
Serenity (sci fi + action)
Ronin
Doom
Heat
Robocop 1 and 2 (not 3)
Cradle to the Grave (jet Li)

MapleMarmite

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Certified
5/9/22
Hey, what age range of movies? 1992 like Hard Boild or 1997/8 Starship troopers? 80's stuff? Or more recent stuff? Just trying to see how far to go back to think of out of the super mainstream movies. Also what kind of action? Can Indiana Jones be action in this category? Your examples are people kicking a$$ and fight scenes right? I can go there, lol. Explosions and shooting? Or thriller/suspense/action? I've got some thinking to do.

Inside Man with Clive Owen (Denzel got all the media attention but I thought Clive was great)
Ronin
Doom
Heat
Robocop 1 and 2 (not 3)
How the hell did I forget Heat!

Certainly the best bank robbery movie of all time.

I’ve been reading the sequel. Not bad thus far.

Thatwatchguy

Supporter
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
+ 1 for Heat, hands down some of the best action sequences

Also Denzel in the Equaliser trilogy’s

And some of the Predators

Reactions: HomeRye

Tim4682

Supporter
Certified
27/10/13
NC, USA

Ronin
Doom
Heat
Robocop 1 and 2 (not 3)
I think any age range...i think the most fun movies came out of the 80s before things got so dark: Days of Thunder, Top Gun, Rockys, etc where you left the theater hyped up and with a smile. Obviously Arnolds entire catalog starting back then: Commando, terminator, Predators. Stallone Rambo going to thr Expendables which is trying to maintain those vibes.

Im partial to action vs thriller, but whatever you can think of.

Heat was fantastic. They made a rep (shocker lol) of it in Asia recently that wasnt actually bad called Raging Fire.

I loved Upgrade. It was an original premise which is exceedingly rare these days (everything now is a remake or redo).

Tim4682

Supporter
Certified
27/10/13
NC, USA

Ronin
Doom
Heat
Robocop 1 and 2 (not 3)
Both Raids are amazing. Theyre in the process of making a US remake now. Both originals are recently available on NFLX.

Oh, terrible movie and acting, but the parkour and action scenes are SIlLY in the original Disctrict B13 (not the Us remake with Paul Walker). The first scene of the movie is NUTS and sets the tone well.

Tim4682

Supporter
Certified
27/10/13
NC, USA
Just thinking of Iko Uwais movies (Raid star)…Mile 22 with him and Wahlberg was pretty solid (also has Malkovich)

RDRoss

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
28/5/19
Alrighty, how about:
Remo Williams (about as out there as possible),
Big Trouble in little china,
Hard boiled,
crouching tiger, hidden dragon,

Kung fury (worth a laugh),
Bubba Hotep,
Original evil dead and army of darkness

Feefo

Your cleverness is mistaken for your cleverness
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
Alrighty, how about:
Remo Williams (about as out there as possible),
Big Trouble in little china,
Hard boiled,
crouching tiger, hidden dragon,

Kung fury (worth a laugh),
Bubba Hotep,
Original evil dead and army of darkness
You beat me with Big trouble in little China. Wanted to post yesterday, slipped my mind. Fun stuff.

Reactions: RDRoss

Feefo

Your cleverness is mistaken for your cleverness
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
The Cannonball run (does it qualify as action?)
Alien
Aliens

Tim4682

Supporter
Certified
27/10/13
NC, USA
The Cannonball run (does it qualify as action?)
Alien
Aliens
Id say Cannonball is Action comedy, yeah.

Sticking with action comedy...Boondock Saints was great

Aliens good choice

Universal Soldier was solid 80s fare (Van Damme and Lundgren).

Salt with Angelina Jolie was pretty nonstop the whole way through.

Cant believe no one has said Death Wish yet