• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Beginner build advice - Tudor Prince Oysterdate

D

d4m.test

Hi guys in need of some advice. So I got all my remaining parts in today and promptly started my build for my Prince Oysterdate 34mm (Case, dial and hands from raffle dials). Unfortunately, that is at a complete halt rn because when I tried putting on the hands, the hour hand is FAR too wide for the pinion (size 2 I believe) on the movement (I bought a Valvaron 24 for this build which apparently is a size 4) and it will not let me place them. I thought I had done my research and was even warned about the pinion size by @pompompurin, but alas it was in vain as it was indeed too large.

Now I guess I'm in the market for some hands that will fit my movement to resume my build. Do you guys have any knowledge of any seller which has hands that could fit my movement? Thanks everyone.

D

d4m.test

Hi guys in need of some advice. So I got all my remaining parts in today and promptly started my build for my Prince Oysterdate 34mm (Case, dial and hands from raffle dials). Unfortunately, that is at a complete halt rn because when I tried putting on the hands, the hour hand is FAR too wide for the pinion (size 2 I believe) on the movement (I bought a Valvaron 24 for this build which apparently is a size 4) and it will not let me place them. I thought I had done my research and was even warned about the pinion size by @pompompurin, but alas it was in vain as it was indeed too large.

Now I guess I'm in the market for some hands that will fit my movement to resume my build. Do you guys have any knowledge of any seller which has hands that could fit my movement? Thanks everyone.
Hey, can you post a pic? The different size hand height kits, h2, h3, h4, etc, all use the same size hands. The only difference is the height. It almost sounds like maybe there's no hour wheel on your movement. I've pointed to the hour wheel in the attached pic.
cd8933d4879618579679e77e8165bd89.jpg

Sent from the RWI App

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Hey, can you post a pic? The different size hand height kits, h2, h3, h4, etc, all use the same size hands. The only difference is the height. It almost sounds like maybe there's no hour wheel on your movement. I've pointed to the hour wheel in the attached pic.
cd8933d4879618579679e77e8165bd89.jpg

Sent from the RWI App

good point, I know they do slip right off easy and could be missed unnoticed..

D

d4m.test

I think you guys are right. Looking at it closely it seems that i dont have an hour wheel at all, and I thought this yesterday too because when I was in the hand setting mode the date would never change after me moving the stem for hours. Here’s a picture.
6a54905197833714dc461d087860fabf.jpg
95af87c843b3647e5c3928e4767816e0.jpg

Sent from the RWI App

D

d4m.test

I think you guys are right. Looking at it closely it seems that i dont have an hour wheel at all, and I thought this yesterday too because when I was in the hand setting mode the date would never change after me moving the stem for hours. Here’s a picture.
6a54905197833714dc461d087860fabf.jpg
95af87c843b3647e5c3928e4767816e0.jpg

Sent from the RWI App

Did you buy that movement on eBay by any chance? I have a Valanvron24 in my watch list on eBay, and looking at the pic, it doesn't look like the hour wheel is included. It's probably the H2 hour wheel you need. I have an extra one. It's yours for whatever it costs to ship if you want it. I could send it Priority Mail for $6.65, First Class for about half that. Send me a PM if you're interested and I'll give you my PayPal e-mail address.

From the eBay Valanvron24 listing:
View attachment 108701

D

d4m.test

PM sent! Clutch man. Yea I did buy it off eBay for a really good price- but I see that it cost me a little more in the end lol.

D

d4m.test

PM sent! Clutch man. Yea I did buy it off eBay for a really good price- but I see that it cost me a little more in the end lol.

D

d4m.test

Gorgeous! I can't wait to update you guys on my finished one too!

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Did you buy that movement on eBay by any chance? I have a Valanvron24 in my watch list on eBay, and looking at the pic, it doesn't look like the hour wheel is included. It's probably the H2 hour wheel you need. I have an extra one. It's yours for whatever it costs to ship if you want it. I could send it Priority Mail for $6.65, First Class for about half that. Send me a PM if you're interested and I'll give you my PayPal e-mail address.

View attachment 108701

Yep.. No hour wheel present.

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16

View attachment 108701

That's why this place is soo GREAT! looking out for one another:thumbup:

BabaNJ

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
11/12/16
New Jersey, USA
Pm the seller on ebay. Same thing happened to me once where i got a wrong height hour wheel (too tall) and it won't allow the minute hand to be mounted, i messaged the seller and he sent me correct size hour wheel.

Sent from the RWI App

Belial129

Looking Around
8/10/17
Hey everybody! Hope you're all doing well. Glad to see the forum is back up and running.

I'm anxious to see everyone's projects that we were discussing... =). I got my gold dial datejust together finally, during the downtime. The plan changed again, when I found that my white dial was too tight of a fit in the Raffles case. The lume dots were too close to the rehaut and the "Swiss Made" was slightly cut off.

I ended up picking up another gold dial on eBay, and using a Tiger Concept case and hands, and a DG2813 movement. I swapped out the bezel on the case for the higher style, and used a sapphire parabolic conversion crystal. Bracelet and datewheel overlay are from Raffles. The crown is a rep crown from eBay. In the end, here's what I ended up with.

2sbmp7q.jpg

332uy2u.jpg

be7rs5.jpg

RolyFan

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/8/18
Romania
I've built numerous watches from raffles parts, it's probably the easiest route to go for beginners.

Email Ken (raffles owner) if you have specific questions and need parts not listed on his site. You'd be surprised what he can get.

Sent from the RWI App

How can i EMail Ken?

esom

Horology Curious
23/5/22
How to build a 34mm tudor oysterdate

----- 1. Pick and buy the case set you want: -----
Both sets already comes with the crystal, bezel, crown, caseback, and movement ring. Both sets are made for 2824-2 movements (NOT FOR 2836-2 MOVEMENTS)

Fluted bezel
http://rafflesdials.com/tudor-signe...zel-and-19mm-lugs-size-fit-eta-2824-movement/

Smooth bezel
http://rafflesdials.com/tudor-signe...zel-and-19mm-lugs-size-fit-eta-2824-movement/

----- 2. Pick and buy a gen tudor dial -----
Buy a 27 mm tudor dial with dial feet position at 12min and 42 min. The chosen gen dial should say something along the lines of "prince" "oyster" "date" and NOT "quartz" "hydronaut", "monarch" (because the latter ones are the dials for a different model).

in order to be model correct. Make sure the gen tudor dial has dial feet positions at 12min and 42 min so that the dial is compatible with 2824-2 movements

When you pick and buy a gen tudor 27mm dial, you can google search "tudor 74000" to see the correct hands/dial combination. For the sake of simplicity, you should buy a gen tudor dial that is model-correct with the use of datejust-style dress hand

----- 3. Buy these dress hands (these hands are shorter than normal rolex datejust 36mm hands so that they are correct for 34mm Tudor) -----

Silver
http://rafflesdials.com/one-set-of-...ova-fit-eta-2836-or-2824-for-mens-34mm-watch/

Gold
http://rafflesdials.com/one-set-of-...ova-fit-eta-2836-or-2824-for-mens-34mm-watch/

----- 4. Buy a 2824-2 movement and its related misc parts -----
MAKE SURE YOUR 2824-2 MOVEMENT COMES WITH 2x movement tabs + 2x movement tab screws + 1x dial spacer + stem (if not, then buy separately from the link below)
Sometimes when you buy a 2824-2 movement, it doesn't come with the above parts so you may need to source them by yourself:

Stem
http://rafflesdials.com/two-pcs-ori...ms-for-eta-2824-2834-2836-automatic-movement/

Dial spacer + 2x movement tabs + 2x movement screws set
http://rafflesdials.com/one-set-of-...s-and-two-tabs-for-mounting-eta-2836-or-2824/

2824-2 movement
Source it externally from somewhere. Asian or Swiss is up to you

----- 5. Pick and buy 19mm bracelet for the case (OPTIONAL)-----
Optional because you can pair the watch with Nato strap or leather strap
http://rafflesdials.com/watch-bracelet/19mm-bracelets/

----- 6. Assemble the watch -----
Here is a good repgeek guide to give you a general idea (it isn't specifically for a Tudor 34mm but you get the idea)
http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?24567-Fitting-Gen-Dial-Hands-amp-Crystal-into-a-UPO

----- 7. Installing a cyclops at the date (OPTIONAL) -----
You can buy a cyclops in ebay and use UV glue to stick it onto the crystal. Normal Rolex 34mm case sapphire crystal won't work with Tudor because the cyclops position on a Tudor is different to a Rolex. Best way is to buy a cyclops and stick it onto the crystal by yourself... but this is optional [I don't have cyclops on my franken]

Also, it is worth noting that older generations of tudor 74000 used acrylic plexiglass crystal. I haven't change my crystal before but it's up to you to decide if you want acrylic crystal.

----- 8. Finished product -----
This is mine and it is built different (I used a stonep case set for 2836-2 movement) and I sourced some proper Tudor 74000 hands + gen Rolex 503 crown

I plan to install a cyclops some time in the near future
0ds7egLl.jpg

Hi
Do you have any idea about appling acrylic glass to raffle 34mm case?

I have tried installing acrylic glass (25-108) on the raffles 34mm case but failed. (It is also not a proper cyclops position)

The inner dimension of raffles bezel is about 29.0~29.1mm.

To install acrylic on the case, it needs larger inner dimension bezel.

25-143 is made for 74000 so it would be fit on raffles case but need right bezel.

It is difficult to find bezel witch is fit on 25-143 and is not too high. (some of bezel WSO selling is 2.75 height..but raffles bezel is only 2.1mm)

​​​​​bezel for 1500 will fit on it??

Do you have any idea about plexi glass on raffles 34mm case ?

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Hi
Do you have any idea about appling acrylic glass to raffle 34mm case?

I have tried installing acrylic glass (25-108) on the raffles 34mm case but failed. (It is also not a proper cyclops position)

The inner dimension of raffles bezel is about 29.0~29.1mm.

To install acrylic on the case, it needs larger inner dimension bezel.

25-143 is made for 74000 so it would be fit on raffles case but need right bezel.

It is difficult to find bezel witch is fit on 25-143 and is not too high. (some of bezel WSO selling is 2.75 height..but raffles bezel is only 2.1mm)

​​​​​bezel for 1500 will fit on it??

Do you have any idea about plexi glass on raffles 34mm case ?

I don't have any experience with installing plexi onto a raffles 34mm case, unfortunately.

If you need a larger diameter bezel, you could always use sand paper to sand the raffles bezel and make its inner diameter bigger