• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Be careful guys

mosscade

Horology Curious
17/6/14
Just went to Barcelona with my AP diver.
Tried to be low profile but this city is now sooo dangerous. 2nd day I was moved by 2 guys in a street, bumped to the floor and my watch disappeared :-(
No injury, just sadness. Soon they will discover their mistake, at least.

promax01

Rep watch for life
Patron
Certified
19/11/22
Conus
Tried to be low profile but this city is now sooo dangerous. 2nd day I was moved by 2 guys in a street, bumped to the floor and my watch disappeared :-(
Glad you safe, it’s all matters

bangwang67

bang ❗️ bang 💥
Supporter
Certified
22/3/22
EU
Scary situation! Glad to hear that you are okay as that is all that truly matters. 🙏
Times are different now, I refuse to wear any gens or even nice reps in places I don't know just don't need that kind of attention.

Pinion Minion

World Class Breaker of Movements
Supporter
Certified
5/8/22
Texas

I hope those turds tried to pass your watch off as real to the kind of guys that don't respond well to being scammed....

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
Scary situation! Glad to hear that you are okay as that is all that truly matters. 🙏
Times are different now, I refuse to wear any gens or even nice reps in places I don't know just don't need that kind of attention.

I used to remove my watches, gen or rep, and stuff them under the car seat when doing my errands. Unfortunately, I learned (a bit slowly, I might add) that that’s one of the first places thieves look.

In the US, we have politicians who think the way to deal with crime is to deny it exists. They refuse to prosecute any crime less than $1,000. So predictably, police stopped investigating petty crime and makin arrests because it is a waste of resources when nothing is going to be done. Zero investigation and zero effort so the corrupt politicians can deceptively claim crime is down because arrests are down. Wait! What? It’s all smoke and mirrors.

If I can offer any advice, it’s to wear you watches and enjoy them but be smart. Gen or rep, they are not worth dying for. I spend most of my time around high net worth people who are not going to rough me up to steal a watch but, when I’m not, I put my watch in my pocket. I know it’s sad but these days you have to assume all public places and people you don’t know are unsafe.

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh
Their mistake would be trying to sell the rep to someone like me.
I'll chop off their fucking hands,

aksingh

I'm Pretty Popular
7/3/10
Over the last few years the rising prices of lux watches have made them so visible, and they are an easy target on tourists so best to be extra safe nowadays, esp with the Rolex, AP and PP.

ViperGTS

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
1/1/10
its just crazy to me because there have to be locals that also wear their lux watches.....are we to say no one should wear watches?

VenomGT3

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
29/4/22
USA
I walked around Eastern Europe with an AP/RM/Rolex/Patek at all times. Western Europe sounds rough though. Sorry to hear, Op

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
This. As much as it sucks to get mugged, the most important part is that you and your loved ones are ok. Just be careful with anything that looks dangerous in hotspot areas (London, Paris, Barcelona etc.).

So sorry this happened to you! Sucks bad!

This is precisely why I often wear my replicas in big cities and other congested places. If I'm getting robbed, they aren't taking my super expensive stuff.

Reactions: QueTip

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
I read in another post that the thieves also case the hotel rooms/apartments the victims are staying in and then steal the goods while they're out sightseeing.

Reactions: Karbon74

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
30/3/09
Thank god it was a rep, and you are OK of course.

RDRoss

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
28/5/19
I remember what it was like in Moscow back in 1991. I actually got mugged for a swatch. This shit happens, the best we can hope for is keeping our health. Happy to hear you are OK @mosscade, and for what it is worth, I only travel with reps or old school beaters like Rodania and Poljot types ( I bought a lot of them when I was based in Russia ;) Many moons ago)

serumdiesel

Madman
17/3/21
I remember what it was like in Moscow back in 1991. I actually got mugged for a swatch. This shit happens, the best we can hope for is keeping our health. Happy to hear you are OK @mosscade, and for what it is worth, I only travel with reps or old school beaters like Rodania and Poljot types ( I bought a lot of them when I was based in Russia ;) Many moons ago)

Yeah, Moscow in the early '90s was a fucking bloodbath.

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
A former colleague had his left wrist chopped off in 2013. The assailant used a machete and ran off with the hand , watch still attached. They recovered the hand but was unable to ratchet it. This was in Kampala. My colleague was reading a newspaper when it happened, on a sidewalk cafe, having his breakfast coffee and croissant.

A close friends was robbed at knife point in Copenhagen. A GEN Fyddy was taken. He walked away with a broken nose.

I see watch robberies are ramping up across the board. Situational awareness is key and keep your flashing to a minimum.

Reactions: daytona4me