• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

At what point/price does it not make sense to buy a rep but save for a gen.

malevolent

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
19/1/15
I believe at maximum 10% of the original cost for a genuine.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
For über-frankens: my rule is 50% gen cost (up to $4000 max).

For stock reps: my rule is 10% gen cost (up to $700 max).

50% gen is a lot to pay for a franken (ie fake watch) but I would rather save the additional 50% and buy another watch instead.

Plus it's fun building frankens.....it's easy to rock up to an AD and buy a gen.

armbar55

Horology Curious
15/3/14
Personal opinion after buying a lot of reps - $350 for ultimate A+++ quality would be the sweet spot (close to what I paid for tudor black bay I think), but I've paid $600-$650 for a bunch of Hublot/Rolex reps and while they are flawless, I can't help but thinking 4 reps at $600 could equal one decent authentic watch (I have an authentic Breitling as well and love it.. only cost me $2500 at the time).

I like the 10% rule, but ideally it would be the 7% rule or 5% rule haha.

Roller

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
16/1/15
Yeah it's different for everyone. I now buy reps of gens I will never buy and that pretty much is narrowed down to PAMs. I can't "rock an expensive" watch like an AP or Patek. The rest of my kit does not match up. Rolex is easy because anyone can buy an $8000 watch and rock it. But when I start getting into the $10K realm it does not work for me.

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
If we do the math, maybe the initial cost for the rep would be around 5% when it comes to rolex or even less. Take a sub date for example. Its around $9000 and a Noob is around $350 ish. Now you start to add orig parts then you will way over the 5%. Just a Gen crystal alone is $400, then a crown $150. Dial and bezel with insert and assembly another $800 -$1000. That is with out messing with the movement. So your $350 watch is now a $1900 beautiful watch. Also your close to 20% of what the gen cost.

stussycrew

Horology Curious
16/6/15
Thanks for all the great input! It actually helped a lot! Loved the phrase "have subconsciously convinced myself that they're genuine" , I think it helped to get over the ever lasting thought of "must have a gen". I have a PAM 417 & 111 and really , I have held an original, I cannot see any difference.
It might just be the feeling of owning the real deal - but then again it might not lol.
I bought a mint gen Speedmaster - only because the reps are just not close to being good and I paid €1100 (mint condition) - the best copy would cost around 300, that kinda justified my buy I thought :)

Anyway, very happy to have found this forum - i learned so much in this short amount of time!

Hornet

23/2/14
Considering what IMHO seems to be increasing prices for reps I made the decision to just buy affordable gens; Tempest, Magrette and Helson just to name my current favourites are all around the $500-600 mark.....

......so I suppose if I was to see a rep I was interested in I'd limit myself at $300, otherwise I'd save up the extra and go gen.

umaso

Renowned Member
28/6/14
I have been really tempted to sell a lot of my reps to fund a cheaper gen. I've been wanting a Longines Legend Diver or a Tudor BB for a while, and the thought has crossed my mind to sell all my reps and buy one, but I just can't do it.

Right now I am planning to selling all my reps worth over $300 and saving up for like a used Rolex (~$4k), but keeping all my cheap reps because the price/happiness ratio of reps I own worth like under $200 is too much even if it get's me incrementally closer to buying a gen.

joes

I'm Pretty Popular
2/1/15
Great thread here showing that we've all thought about this at some point. Aside from the fact I'm rebuilding my collection right now, my wife recently saw the watch case and suggested I review our insurance because there were so many so I started adding up and guess what? Realized that if I sold all the reps and box queens I could probably get a gen Rolex AND a PAM. That's the journey I'm on now. Also feel better that I can leave a bunch of gens to my boy one day. I'll definately come back to reps soon but already decided it will be BK's or TC's, or franken AP's/PAMS.

atozzotas

7/1/15
This thread I imagine, the sellers are looking with mighty interest to determine how far they can take it before we decide is too much

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk