• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Arktos!

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Well I could just not ignore the chance at a 7750 powered GMT for 99 bucks could I?

Service was good with no issues, QC pics were supplied without having to ask and mail was promptly answered.

This is a nice watch for under 100 bucks and is well worth the normal asking price of 280 or so. It's 44mm but having a thick bezel it doesn't wear as big as a large dial watch certainly not out of place on my 6.5" wrist. It's a heavy bugger tho so if you don't like a hefty watch it may not be for you.

It has a white print on black date wheel so unless your eyes sight is 20/20 the date may not be all that useful as the mag is only about 1.5 or so on these. An AR job on the crystal would make it easier to read I'm sure.

Only arrived today and I haven't had the back off as yet so it hasn't been on the timer and accuracy is still unknown. I have no reason to think it won't be good as it hasn't lost an appreciable amount of time in the 6 hours or so I've been wearing it. this came on a deployant equipped rubber strap and since I intend to get a new leather strap for it I immediately removed the rubber and put it aside so it stays new. I have fitted one of Robert's 55 (IIRC) dollar gen croc straps while I wait for the custom one from Snpr9696to be made.This watch needs a thick heavy strap as befitting an "expedition" style watch so we will see what the lad comes up with.

Setting the time is a bit fiddly but nothing to bad. The CG lever has the usual rep slop but nothing OTT by any means. I will probably buy it a better CG at some point. The canon pinion looks to be rather tall but I'm yet to look at the gen so I'm not sure if it's correct or not. The rotating bezel is firm with no side play and well defined clicks. Lume is typical rep lume, rather weak and could do with a trip to goin which would cure that nicely.

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

Lume shot is a side by side with my lume "control watch" a Seiko Monster, possibly the best lume of any mass produced timepiece. It was taken aprox 1 minute after a 40sec exposure under a UV fluro. Neither watch was hacked so the exposure was less than a quarter second.

IMG_0450.jpg

As you can see, meah, rep lume.

To sum up, a great watch from a great dealer at an unbeatable price. These are quite a nice piece at the full price let alone 99 bucks and

Tony made the whole deal a painless experience.

ddc

Renowned Member
20/6/11
Actually the Arktos GMT has a blue dial with SS hands. The regular arktos has a black dial and black hands.Inaccurate replica.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Yep, that's black. If that's the gen it's a damn good rep!

shandroid

Put Some Respect On My Name
13/9/10
I went in for a couple of these myself in my big order recently....

Tony has been my dealer of choice now since I tripped over this hobby. I had dealt with Tony before being a member on any boards and I guess I was lucky to find such a good dealer by sheer luck - as so often it's not the case.

Nice review Col - Makes me look forward to getting mine. Thanks for sharing.

Are the gens high beat?

About the only poor detail of the watch that I picked up on my QC pics was the CG and pin... But for the price, I reckon Tony deserves a big pat on the back for bringing us what is one of the standout deals of the year!

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
That's one phenomenal deal...Congrats to those who took advantage!

shandroid

13/9/10
Ok, do the case back is not even close... Still - great rep for the $!!!

---
I am here: [ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-27.869381,153.380102"]Google Maps[/ame]
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WatchnScotch

Certified
10/12/10
Yeah the case back is off, the date mag is pretty weak too. But really, the movement is 100 bucks and we get a fairly accurate rep for free! Not to mention a free pen!

Del

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
15/7/10
Actually the Arktos GMT has a blue dial with SS hands. The regular arktos has a black dial and black hands.Inaccurate replica.
Phew! Glad you told me - I'll be sure to keep mine tucked well up my sleeve.

:picard:

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Besides, who the are you going to meet who knows what the caseback should look like? The gen back is very nice however. This is one of those Pams I would shell out for the gen of.

DMS

Renowned Member
31/12/09
Nice piece brothers! Beware though...the markers on the bezel tend to fall off quite easily I read (and witnessed on my own 186 Ultimate version). Better to rip 'em off and glue them back on with some superglue.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
If you want a correct caseback a little birdy just told me that the Pam92 (non GMT Arktos) will be going up at the crazy sales price in the next few hours and I've just seen the pics, the caseback is perfect!

Nice piece brothers! Beware though...the markers on the bezel tend to fall off quite easily I read (and witnessed on my own 186 Ultimate version). Better to rip 'em off and glue them back on with some superglue.

Done mine already with a very fine line of UV adhesive around the edges. They ain't going nowhere!

ddc

Renowned Member
20/6/11
Oh I am am idiot! I swear i read somewhere the GMT had a blue dial, I was sure of it!!! Just checked PAM resource and it's black!!!
My bad :(

DMS

Renowned Member
31/12/09
Don't be so harsh on yourself, hehe. The North Pole GMT has a blue dial ;-) For the rest almost the same watch as the Arktos GMT

shandroid

13/9/10
If you want a correct caseback a little birdy just told me that the Pam92 (non GMT Arktos) will be going up at the crazy sales price in the next few hours and I've just seen the pics, the caseback is perfect!

He is the man.....

Done mine already with a very fine line of UV adhesive around the edges. They ain't going nowhere!

Col, would you mind telling us exactly what you used and how you did this mate.... please :)