• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Arf datejust v3 REVIEW : franken with gen dw

TheCoffee

Do not accept unsolicited offers
24/6/20
Where can I buy this V3 model but steel-gold? Who is the dealer? Thanks

TheCoffee

24/6/20
Where can I buy this model but steel-gold? Who is the dealer? Thanks.

TheCoffee

24/6/20
Where can I buy the same V3 but steel-gold? How is the dealer? Thanks.

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
You could get it from a TD.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Really good review! The V3 seems to be a great improvement on many small details!

But I have to disagree with the fluted bezel. The arf bezel is slightly different in dimensions (a bit bigger) than genuine and rhodium has a silvery-bright shine while the genuine has grey and goldish shine. The two bezels look very different when compared directly to each other in my opinion.

I have two ARF Frankens, the one on the right is a superfranken with all gen parts except case and bracelet (so gen 3135, gen whitegold bezel, gen hands, crown etc..) it has an arabic concentric dial.

The other has a genuine black dial, hands, datewheel and a swiss eta inside and a stock arf fluted bezel.

7c43d7e78fc189bab9f259bf725ce5fb.jpg

Also these bezels seem to be made of copper and not steel since these are better suited for coating. The rhodium coating can, in some specific areas of the world, degrade in very humid enviroments.

Here are aome pictures of such a case a member send me.

b81166c1d6a1e2256a43e891b4bda044.jpg

Looks great. I've been meaning to do a Datejust Franken for a while and was tempted to use a Wimbledon dial but I don't like that it doesn't lume.

On the gen dial with Arabic numerals, do the numbers illuminate? I am very curious. I've been looking into the silver dial with the Lilac numerals because I like the way it lumes.

Also as far as the arf discoloration, I think we've seen that the color can be restored in the arf dj41 thread.

Granted nothing is as good as gen but at least it's not permanent. And for me, when it does discolor, maybe it's the excuse I'd need to go gen.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Lurkeydurkey

Getting To Know The Place
1/2/16
Great review, thanks for taking the time to write it.

Does anyone know if ARF have produced a V3 DJ31? Struggling to find the info on the latest version....

MambaMentality60

8/24
Certified
30/5/20
Australia

gen crystal is a must imho
Gorgeous crystal, really night and day difference to my eyes.

Btw did you use crystal 295-CAR-v4-c1 which is the correct one for dj36? Or its 295-CAR-c1? Im trying to better understand the visual difference between those 2 based on the cyclops ar.

Thanks

stufuse

Respected Member
22/10/17
UK

Btw did you use crystal 295-CAR-v4-c1 which is the correct one for dj36? Or its 295-CAR-c1? Im trying to better understand the visual difference between those 2 based on the cyclops ar.

Thanks

The CAR-C1 is the xtal for a GMT, the ar is likely the same but the crystal edge is definitely different and thw cyclops shape and the gasket size might also be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MambaMentality60

MambaMentality60

8/24
Certified
30/5/20
Australia
The CAR-C1 is the xtal for a GMT, the ar is likely the same but the crystal edge is definitely different and thw cyclops shape and the gasket size might also be different.

Yes its definitely not the correct crystal for this particular arf dj but i believe it still fits on the arf dj(installation wise) based on posts i have read and pics i have seen.
The car-v3/v4 is harder to source so im opting to go for an car-c1 crystal instead, despite it not being the 100% correct crystal.
I didnt know or notice that the crystal edge or cyclops bevel shape could be different as well though, thanks for this. Got so much to learn :)

Nivka

Respected Member
10/4/15
Australia

Thanks

This was actually b25-295-c12-c1, ie the one from the sub, although the cyclops doesn’t have the bevel like my gen 116610

Reactions: MambaMentality60

Calibre16

31/1/12
This thread is really making me tempted to franken one of these...

Question; does the gen 3135 DW fit without any modding? Just a straight swap?

stufuse

Respected Member
22/10/17
UK
Ohhhh! Not a CAR-C1 but still looks stunning. Thanks for the info.

You actually have a few options for xtals if it’s just the ar cyclops you want. Most common to crop up here are the c12-c1 and the car-c1.

If you’re not worried about 100% correct for the model then why not get a ‘Prof xtal’? they are very nice I’ve had a couple. They cost just under half what a gen xtal goes for.

Last edited:

MambaMentality60

8/24
Certified
30/5/20
Australia
You actually have a few options for xtals if it’s just the ar cyclops you want. Most common to crop up here are the c12-c1 and the car-c1.

If you’re not worried about 100% correct for the model then why not get a ‘Prof xtal’? they are very nice I’ve had a couple. They cost just under half what a gen xtal goes for.

Fair point regarding profs xtal. However it lacks the gen halo effect around the cyclops. Personally for me thats a very important feature on a rolex cyclops crystal.

If others ocd can accept the no ‘halo’ effect then prof xtal is definitely the best choice ofc :)

Analog967

Getting To Know The Place
6/8/20
Just picked up an ARF DJ 41mm V3 2824. It looks pretty good to me. I’ve been trying to do a little digging to see if I am able to add gen parts, such as a dial and DW to the 2824. From what I gather, only the 3135 movement will allow you to add gen parts? Is this correct?

Also, arf apparently Does it make a DJ 41mm in the 3135?