• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Are you all comfortable telling people it's a rep?

originalusername

Horology Curious
1/3/12
I always tell friends and acquaintances it's a rep if it comes up in conversation.

Being a young guy, it's unlikely I would be able to afford the gens of some of the watches I wear.

I bought a few lower end Rolex reps just to see what the sizes feel like. Kind of like a worthless collection, since I don't like wearing those out much. I like a lot of the designs but the brand is too well known!

sgtguk

Known Member
8/7/12
The last time I was asked about my collection was by a friend of mine, he looked in my watchbox and was visibly shocked at the pieces in there, looked at me and straightaway I let him know that over half were reps, he is into watches too but only Gens and stuff that I'm not into at all Dressy etc (most of mine are dive watches) but I could see his brain working overtime and adding up the value! He was really shocked to see how good reps are these days and after putting on my Tc Sub I reckon he will be getting a few reps in the future!

sumiter7

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/12
I feel like I never have the opportunity to tell people my watch is a rep. Watches just never seem to come up in conversation with the people I hang out with. If I bring it up myself I try and compliment the other person's watch, but it usually ends up being a Nixon or something and I start hating myself and changing the subject. The one time I was talking to someone with a Rolex, I complimented his watch and he immediately replied "It's real." It seemed douchey, so I ended up changing the subject again. ugh.

Some people just are too paranoid about getting asked about their watch.
By saying "It's real," he just took your compliment as if you challenged him about the watch...
It would be so nice if people can just compliment and thank when complimented..
I agree so much with what one of the guys said before "don't ask, don't tell".

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
I just get compliments on my watches..... And it's never been "Nice fake" ..

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Q: Are you all comfortable telling people it's a rep?
A: Yup. If it was something I was ashamed of, I wouldn't be doing it.

dovla

I'm Pretty Popular
3/3/12
DE /AU
I've never been asked rep or gen, but wouldn't have a problem to say its a rep.

But I get the people drooling over my plo daily for sure :)

arkseven

Renowned Member
7/9/11
I had a conversation at length with my Area Manager about Rolex after he saw I was wearing my Noob 16610 (rehaut shaved, new insert and pearl, CGs shaved and TC v2 bracelet). This is a guy who I know has a Daytona, SubC, Pam111 and a Speedy. He's a collector but still couldn't spot a modded rep on a wrist at 2 feet away. He couldn't believe my sub was a rep and he was soon asking for more info on dealers and forums.

tonywatches

19/8/12
EU
The most of the people don't have problem to say its a rep.
Some actually wearing original say its a copy to see if i can recognize the original since its my job..
BUT when some ppl with the most crapy 30 euros gold rolex copy on the wrist say "its original" when i just say "nice watch" i cannot get it.. If im on the mood i play with them.. :)