• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

APSF 15400 experience

GeneralRep

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/6/23
Uranus
Purchased a few months ago via TOW - Trusted Dealer.

APSF V3 15400
  • QC looked great - watch looks better IRL
  • A few months in, still works perfectly
  • PR appears to be well over 48h, probably even 72h
  • Holding up nicely, granted getting nicks and scratches just like any steel
  • No one has questioned if it is a rep or gen, but rather "how did you get one!?"
  • Got it pressure tested the other day by a watchsmith. 5BAR/50M passed without remark, as advertised by Steve at TOW. I.e. no worries if falling into a pool or swimming in shallow water.
  • The watch smith even commented after looking at the movement "this is a very nice watch"
  • I guess the only downside is the slow date change... but for 500USD this is the best watch I have ever owned. Incredible bang for buck

HUYzc3.jpeg

HUYD32.jpeg

HUYhSD.jpeg

benissimo

Known Member
3/6/21
EU
I have this same APS 15400 V3 watch in black and biggest ick for me are case bevels. They're much too thin and make it look a bit like a shitter. Otherwise it's great watch been wearing it a lot since I got it in January. Bracelet is very smooth, finish is stunning and construstion/machining is very clean. My movement also has a big PR and runs accurately, haven't serviced it. I saw they upgraded the dial tapisserie in V4 but messed up the 3 O'clock marker lmao. With proper gen spec rebrush and case rebevel and maybe DP or even Gen dial it would be perfect.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

APSF V3 15400
  • No one has questioned if it is a rep or gen, but rather "how did you get one!?"
  • Got it pressure tested the other day by a watchsmith. 5BAR/50M passed without remark, as advertised by Steve at TOW. I.e. no worries if falling into a pool or swimming in shallow water.
  • The watch smith even commented after looking at the movement "this is a very nice watch"
  • I guess the only downside is the slow date change... but for 500USD this is the best watch I have ever owned. Incredible bang for buck
Your watchsmith is right, it is a nice watch. I keep saying, if you want an AP, the only way is to buy the gen. But if you want a nice watch which looks like an AP, the rep you have works very well.

Just 3 points from me:

- the gen 3120 caliber has a power reserve of about 50-55hrs though they are sometimes listed with a PR of 60hrs. There is no way it’ll have a power reserve of 72hrs but it does not matter, we are discussing something which doesn’t really matter in real life if you have more than one watch to rotate.

- the instant date change can still be achieved by getting the correct parts and having someone install them and modify the movement for you. Yes the gen comes with an instant date change but not everyone minds them. Ironically, my friend’s gen diver has a date change which follows a short halfway rollover but this is because the guy has a bad habit of quicksetting the date between the “forbidden hours” between 9-3 o’clock. His watch will be getting repaired soon.

- nobody will call your watch out if you wear it with confidence. Guys worry too much because they know they’re wearing reps and not because the watch has real-world tells. The truth is that nobody really cares about your watch more than you. The comments about someone’s watch seldom go beyond “nice watch” and a couple of follow up questions or comments.

Congrats and wear it well. Thank you for the straightforward and largely true comments. They are useful for anyone considering the same watch.

silver.forever

21/9/23
Can you explain me what you mean wit the bevels? I cant see it and would love to understand.

silver.forever

21/9/23
Your watchsmith is right, it is a nice watch. I keep saying, if you want an AP, the only way is to buy the gen. But if you want a nice watch which looks like an AP, the rep you have works very well.

Just 3 points from me:

- the gen 3120 caliber has a power reserve of about 50-55hrs though they are sometimes listed with a PR of 60hrs. There is no way it’ll have a power reserve of 72hrs but it does not matter, we are discussing something which doesn’t really matter in real life if you have more than one watch to rotate.

- the instant date change can still be achieved by getting the correct parts and having someone install them and modify the movement for you. Yes the gen comes with an instant date change but not everyone minds them. Ironically, my friend’s gen diver has a date change which follows a short halfway rollover but this is because the guy has a bad habit of quicksetting the date between the “forbidden hours” between 9-3 o’clock. His watch will be getting repaired soon.

- nobody will call your watch out if you wear it with confidence. Guys worry too much because they know they’re wearing reps and not because the watch has real-world tells. The truth is that nobody really cares about your watch more than you. The comments about someone’s watch seldom go beyond “nice watch” and a couple of follow up questions or comments.

Congrats and wear it well. Thank you for the straightforward and largely true comments. They are useful for anyone considering the same watch.
Is the mod for the datechange affecting the reliability of the movement?
I heard that APSF was deciding on purpose to go that route and make it more reliable.
I am not that deep into that rabbit hole and understand all the technical aspects of it so would be nice to hear your thoughts on it.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Is the mod for the datechange affecting the reliability of the movement?
I heard that APSF was deciding on purpose to go that route and make it more reliable.
I am not that deep into that rabbit hole and understand all the technical aspects of it so would be nice to hear your thoughts on it.
No the instant date change mod will not negatively affect reliability in the slightest. I find the date mechanism efficient and more importantly accurate vs how a gen is like. Parts are replaced, installed and aligned. It’s a no brainer to do it if you can.

Reactions: Allure

silver.forever

21/9/23
No the instant date change mod will not negatively affect reliability in the slightest. I find the date mechanism efficient and more importantly accurate vs how a gen is like. Parts are replaced, installed and aligned. It’s a no brainer to do it if you can.
What kind of parts are required for this mod? Are they "easy" to source and what are the estimated cost of such a mod?

silver.forever

21/9/23

APSF V3 15400

HUYzc3.jpeg

HUYD32.jpeg

HUYhSD.jpeg
Is this a V3 or a V4? Is there a way to identify which version we own?
I heard that the V4 has some things printed on the movement instead of engraved. Wondering if a V4 in black would be better than my V3

MHX

20/3/17
Nice watch.. I think the date is a minor problem. But the balance wheel is wrong on all AP RO reps.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Nice watch.. I think the date is a minor problem. But the balance wheel is wrong on all AP RO reps.
Well it’s a replica afterall, and for the price, I think that it’s acceptable if the balance wheel is off especially when it can’t be seen when watch is worn on the wrist. If the movement is to be picked on, then a lot of parts are also wrong, starting with the rotor. It’s mostly down to what you can accept on your own watch. If you think the balance wheel is off, then your only choice currently is the gen movement. If the price point makes sense to you then go for it and all the best!

Last edited: