• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP Safari - on reconditioned Gen hornback

mt666tm

Renowned Member
2/2/10
I've wanted a Safari for years but never pulled the trigger until I saw this one for sale. It came on a beat up gen strap that I was on the verge of replacing, but after testing out a few methods of repairing it I found one that worked so thought I'd share the results.

1st off the watch itself needed some work, so I took most of it apart for greasing up gaskets, repolishing all the bezel screw heads and lowering them a bit, hand brushing out some of the scratches on the bezel and case, re-polishing all edges, etc... I actually found one of the bezel screw tips to be bent and the threads damaged on the caseback nut, so a little straightening and blue loctite solved that problem. How does that even happen? Checked all movement screws as well to be on the safe side.

Now onto the strap, someone must have swapped out the strap links to rep some time ago, and I think they used a hammer and chisel to do so as the damage was pretty brutal...

After taking this all apart, refinishing the inserts, reassembling and rebrushing the links, it was looking acceptable. I used some gel-epoxy to reattach the leather to the inserts. Now to fix the edge of the strap I found out that you can mix a very small amount of Testors model enamel into shoe goo (to color the rubber to how you want it). This was a last ditch idea as others before it failed. After this I did a little leather reconditioning and cleaned the stitches. I think it turned out well.

The bezel screws are still a bit high for my liking, but I have a replacement bezel on the way so I'll swap it one day when I feel like it, and it'll sit in the tool box until then for peace of mind :)

DSC01971.jpg

DSC01985.jpg

DSC01979.jpg

DSC01978.jpg

DSC01968.jpg

DSC01969.jpg

DSC01986.jpg

I also rounded off the chrono pushers :)

rol_man

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
25/7/08
Excellent job and the strap is one of the best looking I've seen on an AP. Has that well worn but taken care of look the adds a touch of class. :thumbsup:

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
This is by far my most favorite AP of all time. Wow.....

vpx

Renowned Member
2/11/10
The worn strap gives it character. You won't expect a watch that was on a safari to be perfect? It has a story to tell. Enjoy.

revman

Horology Curious
21/10/10
Great post, I would like to ask about how you rounded the pushers.

mt666tm

Renowned Member
2/2/10
It's easy, just tape off around them (to be on the safe side) and use a little piece of 320 grit sandpaper to work the edge a bit. It only takes ~5 min per pusher to get it rounded off

DSC01996.jpg

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Good job and very nice combo
Congrats !!

deloreandmc

I'm Pretty Popular
23/10/09
Never thought that would work for the pushers, great idea!

Great watch too, it is starting to warm up on me... :)