• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP Roo strap change.

midasmook

I'm Pretty Popular
7/8/08
I just received my AP Roo Safari from Toro and it's a beauty. The first thing I'm going to do is change the poor rep strap to a Hornback Aligator I had bought from Donerix. The strap change on these can be a nightmare so I thought I'd take some pics and let you see how it's done.
Here we go.

This is the AP Roo Safari from Toro just out the package.
DSCN3696.jpg

This is the rep strap.
DSCN3698.jpg

First thing to do is very carefully loosen the screws on the lugs.
DSCN3701.jpg

Nice and easy don't force it.
DSCN3702.jpg

That's one side off.
DSCN3703.jpg

Loosen the other side as well. A pair of tweezers are handy for pulling the screws out.
DSCN3704.jpg

Rep strap off.
DSCN3706.jpg

Now we have to take the lugs off the rep strap.
DSCN3707.jpg

The screws on these have one short end and a long end. Once you have the short end off use a toothpick to push the other end out.
DSCN3708.jpg

Everything off and now to put the new strap on.
DSCN3711.jpg

One lug in first along with the long end of the screw.
DSCN3712.jpg

You have to hold both ends of the screw to tighten so I find it easier if you can have one screwdriver fixed as shown here.
DSCN3713.jpg

Rest the long end on the fixed driver and screw the short end in on the other side . This stops the screw from turning.
DSCN3715.jpg

Do that with both sides and your lugs are now on the strap.
DSCN3717.jpg

Now all we have to do is fix the lugs to the watch head and put in the screws.
DSCN3718.jpg

Work the screw in ready for tightening.
DSCN3719.jpg

Once in tighten very carefully.
DSCN3720.jpg

Now for the other side. Notice where the thread is on the screw, up at the neck.
DSCN3721.jpg

One side completed.
DSCN3722.jpg

Fit the other side.
DSCN3724.jpg

Done.
DSCN3728.jpg

Fit on wrist and go show off.
DSCN3735.jpg

Hope this helps other AP Roo owners having trouble fitting a new strap.

trksh-bzr

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/9/09
Nice one, midas.
I was pretty surprised how annoying strap change on a APROO , is.
This will come in handy.

mike 8

Legendary Member
13/8/11
Very informative Midas.
Yes AP's can be a real pain.
Don't forget the Locktite.
That Donerix Hornback is a real nice match

Del

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
15/7/10
First class! :thumbsup:

And a lovely watch and strap combo too! ;)

investinwaffles

Renowned Member
16/6/11
HUUUUGE pain in the ass to change the strap on the AP ROO reps :facepalm:

My custom Primestrap and AP are sitting on my desk but everytime I attempt this I put a new scratch or something into the watch and strap :(

Really need to get off my ass and get that done..

Great post Midas!! Will come in handy for the watch-smith after I fail again at putting on my strap :rolleyes:

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
No need to take the lugs completely off the watch.

When I change my straps I just take the screws out that are holding the strap and put the new one on.

Works fine for me. It makes it even more annoying if I have to take the lugs off too!

Yannou

10/2/07
EU
No need to take the lugs completely off the watch.

When I change my straps I just take the screws out that are holding the strap and put the new one on.

Works fine for me. It makes it even more annoying if I have to take the lugs off too!

+ 1 I do this only when I'm swapping to the SS Bracelet...it preserves the health of the screws at the holes

Yannou
The Louchebem

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
Very informative Midas.
Yes AP's can be a real pain.
Don't forget the Locktite.
That Donerix Hornback is a real nice match

LOCTITE on the lug screws? You must be drunk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Very informative and well explained tutorial
Thanks for sharing it and take your time.
ALE

maxlawbr

27/9/06
Nice tutorial.

Love the pics and the new strap, congrats.

2200 CET

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/6/12
Thanks for the post, unfortunately it doesn't work with Reg's Diver.
There are no screws holding band to lugs. It's only pins, that are glued in I guess.

Has anyone managed to change strap only on Narikaa's Diver?

smokiedabong

22/8/12
Why you need to take the lugs out just to put them back in? You risk scratching the case an wearing the screws. You only need to take out the strap screws and it that area even if you have a slip all you hit is rubber.

warlordofnarnia

Renowned Member
18/1/15
England, Shropshire.
Hi,

An alternative to loctite is a small drop of superglue. It will stop the screws coming loose, but it has little or no shear strength, so the torque of turning the screws will easily break the bond.

A word about screwdrivers.... The wrong size, or a blunt screwdriver will almost certainly damage the watch. Both for the same reason - 'cam out'. The screwdriver has to be EXACTLY the right size for the screw, and sharp!! If the screwdriver is blunt, even if it is the correct size for the slot, the rounded edges will cause it to slip. I keep a waterstone on my desk, and I use it to flatten the edge of the driver. I do this every 3 or 4 screws. Size is definitely the next thing to worry about. Get yourself a PROPER set of watchmakers drivers in a carousel. Don't buy an Ebay 'special' kit. The blades are so poor you can bend them!! I know, I was once that soldier.

carboncopy

4/12/14
You make it look soooooo easy... lol

I scratched both my safari and diver changing straps and now have a donerix hornback still sitting in the drawer as I don't want to scratch my navy as well :)

Thanks for posting the pictures

sessien

Known Member
20/6/11
You can just take off the leather strap and you don't need to touch the watch metal. I did it for my safari.
36216573074bd9905fabfbc6d873ce02.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xela333

Known Member
12/10/13
Can anyone confirm the size of screwdriver to use to remove STRAP screws? Thanks!