• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP ROO sec@12 crystal question

Heisenberg

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
29/1/11
I've ordered a Survivor - my first venture into AP. I know I am going to want to get AR coating on the crystal - yes I know the gen doesn't have it but it also has a much higher grade sapphire than the rep, and I think the detailed black dial and hands will look much better with less reflection. I want to make the rep better, if not more like the gen. And there is already a fatal flaw on the dial (tachymetre marks by the date window) that give it away...

If the Survivor and others use the same crystal, I'd like to get one from someone parting out their other ROO sec@12 or perhaps I could obtain a spare from my dealer if he has some connections at the factory. I could send the crystal alone to Uwe without customs worry, then swap it in once it comes back.

My first choice would be Chieftang - no customs worries - but no idea when another AR run will occur.

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
Good idea, all my APs have AR on it from Uwe. And I agree, the crystal on the gen is much better. Ask your dealer for a spare crystal, he should be able to get it, my dealer did.

Edgematic

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/08
Like you said, the gen has no AR. Usually I am not fond of AR on AP's but this one somewhat deserves it :). Gen AP's do reflect a bit, but not as much as the rep due to the higher grade sapphire indeed, I would opt for single AR on the inside. But that's all up to your own opinion, I like my reps as much gen-like as possible (not talking about frankens). The cyclopse of the Survivor has got AR, so I'd buy an AR'ed cyclopse from Uwe. A must get IMO.

Pics of the gen, look at the reflection:
Survivor1.jpg

Lung3.jpg

jiddy

Renowned Member
15/4/10
Agree with above posters, opted for double myself on my ROO but I would certainly at least get AR on the inside rather then keep the clear rep crysal.

Shame to not make the best out of the watch and dial ;)

Uwe does an amazing AR so you most probably won´t be disappointed.

/J

Heisenberg

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
29/1/11
Angus is awesome, he's trying to find a spare crystal from the maker. Also I got my QC photos today, it looks dope! I have never been this excited to receive a rep. It's coming with a V5 Ice Bang II which is pretty sweet too.

andyc

Nitimur in vetitum
Certified
4/6/10
Also I got my QC photos today, it looks dope!

You'll have to forgive me, English is my first language, what exactly does "it looks dope" mean? I assume it is a positive statement? The only references I could find in the Oxford English Dictionary had it described as a product used on an airplane wing or a person of limited intelligence.

Heisenberg

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
29/1/11
You'll have to forgive me, English is my first language, what exactly does "it looks dope" mean? I assume it is a positive statement? The only references I could find in the Oxford English Dictionary had it described as a product used on an airplane wing or a person of limited intelligence.

Haha yes it is good thing in American gangsta slang. For example

img81682.jpg

This is a watch from another collector but is what I trying to duplicate. Pure dope!

Angus was able to source an extra sapphire crystal and is going to send it to Uwe in Germany for AR. Once I have that, I'm going to send the watch to get the movement inspected/serviced, hands and hour dots re-lumed with superluminova, and the crystal swapped out. I'm also having a custom AP Bands Particolare Capolavoro Black Hornback strap made with tang holes for the OEM Survivor buckle. That is the same band in the above photo, although since I'm having it custom made the round holes won't have to be filed out to accomodate the Survivor buckle.

Btw I was told the rep hornback strap was not good quality, pretty sure it is stamped leather so even at ~ $100 not a good value. Better off to get the (good) rubber strap with the rep, then invest in the genuine hornback from AP Bands. The extra $200 or so is money well spent...