• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP RGRC mod suggestions.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thank you so much. That comment gave me so much motivation and inspiration.

I think the biggest issue for me is thickness.
So I think I will do the all the mods I mentioned, especially the new thin caseback and full case rework - and gold plating.
But do you really think that JF date-cyclop is better than proffs and do you have a aftermarket dw and tachy that would lift my build?

One thing about gold AP frankens, is the weight. The watch is supposed to look, AND feel hefty on the wrist. Its true that its something nobody can tell on the wrist, but if you have held the gen, you will know the vast difference, and that makes it a watch which you cannot reliably handover to anyone to appreciate, without being called out on the weight. My point is not to discourage you, but rather, inform you that I have done lead lining/filling mods before for a gold franken to make the weight close to gen spec. Not 100%, but enough for it not to be a tell when holding it in one hand and the gen in the other. This is something you may wish to consider.

Remember that no franken is perfect, you need to manage your expectations. The best AP franken builds that I have seen here have tells that it isn't gen, some significant, some subtle, but NO franken in this hobby is without flaws of one kind or another. So understand that you will be spending, say $6000 to get a watch which will look impressive no doubt, and in your case, a model which looks fabulous. But the imperfections will catch up with one day when you know where to look. An example of a top-tiered franken IMHO is the RGRC Jurgenk posted. That watch can practically be posted on instagram and anywhere without anyone calling it out. I kid you not. But a watch, AP in particular, is as much about the feel as the looks, and this is the part which bugs me personally. For example, I cannot abide the non-instant date change in the LWO283 (peeve of mine, and not important functionally lol) and other things like alignment between parts, and geometry of case etc. I have no doubt that you will own an impressive looking watch by the time you are done, particularly for this model. If you are pleased and happy, that matters more than any opinion in the world. I will encourage you to go ahead with the build and seek help when you can from the experts here.

Reactions: Allure

LuoIsBoss

I'm Pretty Popular
6/6/17
Scandinavia
One thing about gold AP frankens, is the weight. The watch is supposed to look, AND feel hefty on the wrist. Its true that its something nobody can tell on the wrist, but if you have held the gen, you will know the vast difference, and that makes it a watch which you cannot reliably handover to anyone to appreciate, without being called out on the weight. My point is not to discourage you, but rather, inform you that I have done lead lining/filling mods before for a gold franken to make the weight close to gen spec. Not 100%, but enough for it not to be a tell when holding it in one hand and the gen in the other. This is something you may wish to consider.

Remember that no franken is perfect, you need to manage your expectations. The best AP franken builds that I have seen here have tells that it isn't gen, some significant, some subtle, but NO franken in this hobby is without flaws of one kind or another. So understand that you will be spending, say $6000 to get a watch which will look impressive no doubt, and in your case, a model which looks fabulous. But the imperfections will catch up with one day when you know where to look. An example of a top-tiered franken IMHO is the RGRC Jurgenk posted. That watch can practically be posted on instagram and anywhere without anyone calling it out. I kid you not. But a watch, AP in particular, is as much about the feel as the looks, and this is the part which bugs me personally. For example, I cannot abide the non-instant date change in the LWO283 (peeve of mine, and not important functionally lol) and other things like alignment between parts, and geometry of case etc. I have no doubt that you will own an impressive looking watch by the time you are done, particularly for this model. If you are pleased and happy, that matters more than any opinion in the world. I will encourage you to go ahead with the build and seek help when you can from the experts here.

Thanks for an awesome explanation.
Thats the same thoughts when I build my Rolex superfrankens, no frankens is perfect - and you will always be able to spot it, if you know where to look.

But I really think I need to educate myself in this specific watch, so I know what to do with it.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thanks for an awesome explanation.
Thats the same thoughts when I build my Rolex superfrankens, no frankens is perfect - and you will always be able to spot it, if you know where to look.

But I really think I need to educate myself in this specific watch, so I know what to do with it.

Yes, your knowledge in Rolex frankens is likely to be leagues above mine, and I will be honored to learn from you in that area! :D
The guys here will likewise help you with the AP franken build. Like I said, I always take notice whenever someone posts an RGRC build, because I think it is one of the most beautiful ROO models created by AP, and a pity that it was discontinued in favor of louder but less classy looking ones (IMHO).
So like I said, you will still have a gorgeous looking watch on the wrist, accurate or otherwise. I am sincerely looking forward to seeing your build, and enjoying how it will look. Unlike the standard SS models, this specific watch will look nice given the gold, grey and black color combination, and its wrist presence is something which is unaffected by accuracy of details vs gen.
I must commend your impeccable taste, and wish you the very best in getting this build completed sir.

LuoIsBoss

I'm Pretty Popular
6/6/17
Scandinavia
Yes, your knowledge in Rolex frankens is likely to be leagues above mine, and I will be honored to learn from you in that area! :D
The guys here will likewise help you with the AP franken build. Like I said, I always take notice whenever someone posts an RGRC build, because I think it is one of the most beautiful ROO models created by AP, and a pity that it was discontinued in favor of louder but less classy looking ones (IMHO).
So like I said, you will still have a gorgeous looking watch on the wrist, accurate or otherwise. I am sincerely looking forward to seeing your build, and enjoying how it will look. Unlike the standard SS models, this specific watch will look nice given the gold, grey and black color combination, and its wrist presence is something which is unaffected by accuracy of details vs gen.
I must commend your impeccable taste, and wish you the very best in getting this build completed sir.

Many thanks mate!

People like you and the other gentlemens in this thread is the reason to why I love this forum!

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
finding that later gold rubber clad dial will be difficult.

there's a early version for sale on the bay with gen tachy. https://www.ebay.com/itm/392485773543
add some aftermarket hands until you find gen, date wheel and movement. you spend $5k for watch resembles $25k

Last edited:
Reactions: legend