• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP RGRC mod suggestions.

LuoIsBoss

I'm Pretty Popular
6/6/17
Scandinavia
Hi! Everyone. I'm normally a rolex-type-of-guy, but decided to try and build myself a nice AP - my favourite; AP RGRC.
But as I'm a newbie I need some help with my build with some suggestions for mods.
These are the mods I'm going to make:
- Case thining to gen-spec thickness.
- Gold plate whole case because of the case-thining process.
- Mikey V2 datewheel (the black one with updated markers).
- Shave the hand pinion.
- Shave the tachy.
- Prof cyclop.
- A thinner caseback.
- Sunken bezel-screws (if necessary??)
Do you have any suggestions for me?

Thanks a lot, hope you can help.

75242084_2121378231296464_7100972836109418496_n.jpg

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Go franken or keep it stock. Simple as that imho.

Reactions: Garuda and Revolper

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Better but not enough to justify the expenses IMO.

What he said. The main flaws will remain, en contraire, by shaving the hands, tachy, you’ll just create more flaws alas make the watch even less accurate. That’s why I said, franken or keep it stock.

LuoIsBoss

I'm Pretty Popular
6/6/17
Scandinavia
What he said. The main flaws will remain, en contraire, by shaving the hands, tachy, you’ll just create more flaws alas make the watch even less accurate. That’s why I said, franken or keep it stock.

What gen parts would you recommend then?

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
What gen parts would you recommend then?

Gen dial, tachy, hands. Full case rework, LWO inside. You’re looking at a good few grands investment.

LuoIsBoss

I'm Pretty Popular
6/6/17
Scandinavia
Gen dial, tachy, hands. Full case rework, LWO inside. You’re looking at a good few grands investment.

But I don't quite get why, the mods I mentioned would make my watch worse.
I'm thinking in terms of dw, cyclop, tachy shave, case rework.

That should make the watch miles better, shouldn't it?

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
But I don't quite get why, the mods I mentioned would make my watch worse.
I'm thinking in terms of dw, cyclop, tachy shave, case rework.

That should make the watch miles better, shouldn't it?

Please educate yourself about the various 'mods' you mentioned. Ultimatively the choice is yours. If you can live with it, wear it.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I have to start by saying that stock AP reps are galaxies away from looking gen, and I agree with Quetip that modding them is a subjective decision. Some flaws are “resolved” by creating another. So the watch does not become better per se but the specific flaws you seek to resolve get replaced by another which you can accept.

Even for frankens, you can tell that they aren’t gen if you know where to look. Most of the frankens I’ve seen look exactly like what they are, a marriage of gen and rep parts coming together in a skillful assembly, with a slew of imperfections obvious to the eye.

So indulge at your own level. If you ask for opinions you are going to get ones which agree with yours and posts which are vastly different. The key thing is that you’re going to be the one wearing your watch, so build it any way you want. If it pleases you, then it’s the right decision. It’ll be a problem only if you seek to convince the world that it’s gen. Somewhere, someone will will always be able to tell that it’s not. But if you seek to please yourself, there will always be an absolute standard to attain.

The mods list you mentioned looks reasonable and typical. Guys here will have different opinions on the effectiveness and usefulness of each mod. They are not you.
The only mod I’m dead against is the installation of double AR crystals in AP reps and the rest are debatable and therefore no right or wrong in their implementation. Do what makes you happy, and don’t seek affirmation for your decision. We are not you and will not think the same way.
For example, if you ask me, I will tell you that when it comes to ROOs, only gens will do and I’ve seen imperfections even in gens lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LuoIsBoss

I'm Pretty Popular
6/6/17
Scandinavia
I have to start by saying that stock AP reps are galaxies away from looking gen, and I agree with Quetip that modding them is a subjective decision. Some flaws are “resolved” by creating another. So the watch does not become better per se but the specific flaws you seek to resolve get replaced by another which you can accept.

Even for frankens, you can tell that they aren’t gen if you know where to look. Most of the frankens I’ve seen look exactly like what they are, a marriage of gen and rep parts coming together in a skillful assembly, with a slew of imperfections obvious to the eye.

So indulge at your own level. If you ask for opinions you are going to get ones which agree with yours and posts which are vastly different. The key thing is that you’re going to be the one wearing your watch, so build it any way you want. If it pleases you, then it’s the right decision. It’ll be a problem only if you seek to convince the world that it’s gen. Somewhere, someone will will always be able to tell that it’s not. But if you seek to please yourself, there will always be an absolute standard to attain.

The mods list you mentioned looks reasonable and typical. Guys here will have different opinions on the effectiveness and usefulness of each mod. They are not you.
The only mod I’m dead against is the installation of double AR crystals in AP reps and the rest are debatable and therefore no right or wrong in their implementation. Do what makes you happy, and don’t seek affirmation for your decision. We are not you and will not think the same way.
For example, if you ask me, I will tell you that when it comes to ROOs, only gens will do and I’ve seen imperfections even in gens lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much. That comment gave me so much motivation and inspiration.

I think the biggest issue for me is thickness.
So I think I will do the all the mods I mentioned, especially the new thin caseback and full case rework - and gold plating.
But do you really think that JF date-cyclop is better than proffs and do you have a aftermarket dw and tachy that would lift my build?

LuoIsBoss

I'm Pretty Popular
6/6/17
Scandinavia
QueTip legend

I'm going to get a gen dial for the build and will get a Mikey V2 tachy - would all the mods I mentioned make my build better, instead of worse?
As QueTip mentioned, keep it stock or go franken. So I chose to get a gen dial.

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Great choice.

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Won’t regret it.

Tompa

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
New hands. Mickey’s or gen if you can find

Skickat från min Sputnik satellit

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
A 2.5 mm sapphire crystal with 1x AR is a must. Gen tachy is optimal but Mikey’s latest black tachy is excellent. Tachys have different textures and markings so having one that is matched to your dial series is important. Cyclops is challenging, as most of the newer prof cyclopses don’t seem to be calibrated to the font size on the Mikey white on black DW. A gen dial and gen hands in NOS condition are a must or else you will not be happy with the result for this particular build— they show a lot and need to be pristine. The Rose Gold attracts attention so you don’t want it to have any OBVIOUS terrible flaws, just subtle ones that only purists could pick up, and those folks would respect your game for going that far as long as you didn’t go around claiming this is a gen...

Be sure you have some critical parts in place before you start buying gen parts: Having a DW matching your dial configuration, both in color and font style, is key. Have realistic expectations of the cost, and educate yourself before going down this road.

I look forward to seeing the results in about 6 months and $5.5-$6k, assuming everything happens perfectly...

Having said that, the results may be worthwhile...
fc39056082b6858b0d9ed87a408c765d.plist

Last edited:

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
This was exactly what I needed to read right now.
Very interesting. Thank you guys!

Is this a phenomena for APs in particular?
Other brands don't seem to be as hard to look like their gen counterpart.

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
While the general designs can be approximated the movement and case construction are hard to duplicate without resorting to an expensive cloning of the original movement configurations or using movements with similar modules. And AP excels in case finishing, dial design, and hand structure— all the details that make a hunk of stainless worth $25k or higher as a sports watch. This attention to detail makes it hard for someone to order up identical parts in bulk from a supplier. JF and Noob have come admirably close in some areas but not very close in other areas, so the result with a stock rep is something slightly better than costume jewelry.

Reactions: Tompa