• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP 15720 - APS vs APF vs ZF

bombina

Known Member
17/8/15
I am new to APs, esp RO, and thus, I was hoping to pick the more experienced forum members brains and maybe even owners of this model. Generally it seems like the ZF model came out first and it was well received, however didn't have a clone movement. As of right now, APS seems to have the movement nailed in as the most accurate clone movement, and has nearly nailed most details. It really begs the question, what prevents the APSF model from being a NWBIG? Maybe the ceramic parts or possibly the date mag (really nit picking here) or certain color models (e.g. green)?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I am new to APs, esp RO, and thus, I was hoping to pick the more experienced forum members brains and maybe even owners of this model. Generally it seems like the ZF model came out first and it was well received, however didn't have a clone movement. As of right now, APS seems to have the movement nailed in as the most accurate clone movement, and has nearly nailed most details. It really begs the question, what prevents the APSF model from being a NWBIG? Maybe the ceramic parts or possibly the date mag (really nit picking here) or certain color models (e.g. green)?
The "W", stands for "worth" and like I said many times, worth is highly subjective and personal.
These are reps, and some members find even certain out of box models NWBIG. I repeat also that you should not subscribe to any list created by others on what is NWBIG and what is not. Study the details of the watch you are keen on and make your own list and decision on what you wish to buy. If this question is about relative worth, then it does not warrant a discussion because everyone will have a different opinion. At the end of the day, there is the gen, and there is everything else (stock, modded, franken etc) and for me gen always has its worth and reps are reps (albeit very interesting and fun to wear watches no doubt). Worth is decided solely by the wearer and nobody else so you can in fact answer your own question. I do not subscribe to any NWBIG lists nor treat them as a reliable information source. It is like someone telling the best color to wear or the best haircut to keep. This is highly personal and it depends on a lot of factors such as income, lifestyle or personal fashion choices.

silver.forever

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/9/23
I was trying on the grey 15720 GEN this summer and absolutely loved it. This model is definitely on my want list. Will go with the APS since it has the clone movement. There seems to be no concensus on the "flaws" so I am telling you what I would look for. This applies to the grey model.
  1. The dial color seems to be very similar and acceptable by all factories
  2. The ceramic crowns should have a grey color and clearly not black. On the GEN it is very close to the dial color. Although this seems to apply only to the grey dial version.
  3. The rubber (is it called gasket ring?) between the case and the bezel is blue on the GEN. It "matches" the color of the dial inner ring. APS has a grey one which would bother me a bit. Seems that ZF (depending on the batch) does it have correct. But I saw some grey market pictures of "GEN" 15720 with greyish rings so there might be a variation in the gen ones too.
The 1570 is really a wonderful watch. Couldn't take my eye of it in the AP Boutique. Was even more fascinated than with the 15510.

bombina

Known Member
17/8/15
I was trying on the grey 15720 GEN this summer and absolutely loved it. This model is definitely on my want list. Will go with the APS since it has the clone movement. There seems to be no concensus on the "flaws" so I am telling you what I would look for. This applies to the grey model.
  2. The ceramic crowns should have a grey color and clearly not black. On the GEN it is very close to the dial color. Although this seems to apply only to the grey dial version.
  3. The rubber (is it called gasket ring?) between the case and the bezel is blue on the GEN. It "matches" the color of the dial inner ring. APS has a grey one which would bother me a bit. Seems that ZF (depending on the batch) does it have correct. But I saw some grey market pictures of "GEN" 15720 with greyish rings so there might be a variation in the gen ones too.
The 1570 is really a wonderful watch. Couldn't take my eye of it in the AP Boutique. Was even more fascinated than with the 15510.
Thanks for feedback, funny enough I also have the grey on order as well. Looks like we came to the same conclusion, which is good.

serumdiesel

Madman
17/3/21

I’ve seen gen variation on the crown color in these and don’t see any serious flaws there with regard to the hue among the three factories mentioned.

For me, APSF hits all the major marks and is a great rep, with my only complaint being the gasket color (which is also easily fixable).

Reactions: Reaps

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I’ve seen gen variation on the crown color in these and don’t see any serious flaws there with regard to the hue among the three factories mentioned.

For me, APSF hits all the major marks and is a great rep, with my only complaint being the gasket color (which is also easily fixable).
The gen AP 15720 grey dial model has only one crown color which is grey. The variations you see are due to different lighting or angles. You’re right about the APSF rep in general, it’s close enough visually to gen other than the tells in the minor details and of course the caseback and movement.

silver.forever

21/9/23

This is my only reference with the GEN. It has really a much more grey crown and the blue gasket ring. The picture you posted seems not APSF since it has a blue gasket ring and all in QC had the grey one...
Its really an amazing watch!

silver.forever

21/9/23
Was browsing again for the 15720 in grey and might wanna pull the trigger on it soon.
There is currently one for sale from APSF and it seems to have no flaws. The crown is in the correct color, the gasket ring is blue. So absolutely perfect. Like to have my own history with a watch thats why I will pass but it shows that APSF is really the go to factory if you want the clone and a very close GEN experience.

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Was browsing again for the 15720 in grey and might wanna pull the trigger on it soon.
There is currently one for sale from APSF and it seems to have no flaws. The crown is in the correct color, the gasket ring is blue. So absolutely perfect. Like to have my own history with a watch thats why I will pass but it shows that APSF is really the go to factory if you want the clone and a very close GEN experience.

The rep 15720 isn’t perfect trust me. There are several flaws with it if you know where to look. But if you’re talking about a good replica for a very small fraction of the price then yes what you’re implying is true. It is a nice watch on its own for a few hundred dollars let’s leave it at that. I do have a gen 15720 somewhere in the collection (but never wore it yet though) so I do know what I’m talking about. The new diver is quite different from the older series and I’ve not quite warmed up to it yet. If it’s your thing then APSF is indeed a good choice even if you have the cash to buy the gen. That’s just my opinion.

serumdiesel

Madman
17/3/21

Based on all the details you mentioned as well as the shape of the hands, that is actually an APF. Also a fine choice.

Reactions: legend

silver.forever

21/9/23
Based on all the details you mentioned as well as the shape of the hands, that is actually an APF. Also a fine choice.
Now I am confused. You are referring to the link? Are you sure its an APS and not an APSF? The seller said APSF.
It would make sense if an APF but they should have no real 4308 clone. Can you or @legend identify if this is a 4308 clone or the decorated 8215?

silver.forever

21/9/23
The rep 15720 isn’t perfect trust me. There are several flaws with it if you know where to look. But if you’re talking about a good replica for a very small fraction of the price then yes what you’re implying is true. It is a nice watch on its own for a few hundred dollars let’s leave it at that. I do have a gen 15720 somewhere in the collection (but never wore it yet though) so I do know what I’m talking about. The new diver is quite different from the older series and I’ve not quite warmed up to it yet. If it’s your thing then APSF is indeed a good choice even if you have the cash to buy the gen. That’s just my opinion.
Yeah , I noticed it after reading my comment. It might not be perfect(ly) close to GEN but its a very good result for the money.
What is the reason you prefer the older series over the 15720?

serumdiesel

Madman
17/3/21
Now I am confused. You are referring to the link? Are you sure its an APS and not an APSF? The seller said APSF.
It would make sense if an APF but they should have no real 4308 clone. Can you or @legend identify if this is a 4308 clone or the decorated 8215?

I’m referring to the watch in the sales link you shared. I have no ability to analyze the movement so can’t help you there. I simply know what APF’s gasket, crowns, and hands look like in comparison to APSF’s.

Reactions: silver.forever

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

guys, @serumdiesel was right and movement shown in the watch is actually a miyota. They can be called "clone 4308 (or whatever they are decorated to look like" by the dealers, so buyers need to be discerning. The 4302 and 4308 are the same base calibers actually with some small differences (this can be looked up if one is keen).

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Yeah , I noticed it after reading my comment. It might not be perfect(ly) close to GEN but its a very good result for the money.
What is the reason you prefer the older series over the 15720?
It’s a matter of personal preference. The older divers have slimmer dial markers which are more balanced visually (for me personally) whereas the 15720 have a mix of longer and “dot” markers.

I do agree with you that for $500 (or whatever it goes for) it is a nice watch. Reps are worn for fun and buyers shouldn’t need to worry how close to or far away from gen it is. Reps are fun to own on their own and if one desires accuracy in all aspects the only way to go is to buy the gen.

Reactions: Allure

nicholaskk

26/11/22
I've recently bought the APSF 15720 and it doesn't seem to wind. I watch some video and forum saying that the winding is buttery smooth so that it doesn't feel like winding. The problem is how much I wind but the seconds hand wont start to move unless I shake it real hard and the watch may stop even I'm wearing it.

nicholaskk

26/11/22
I've recently bought the APSF 15720 and it doesn't seem to wind. I watch some video and forum saying that the winding is buttery smooth so that it doesn't feel like winding. The problem is how much I wind but the seconds hand wont start to move unless I shake it real hard and the watch may stop even I'm wearing it.
And I notice when I'm winding, the crown wheel is moving but the ratchet wheel is not moving.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
You need to understand the 4302, 4308, 4404 etc are all large calibers.
Even for the gen, you need to wind it relatively numerous times before the second hand starts to move, unlike say Rolex or eta movements. For the gen you need to wind it about 50-60 times from rest before the second hand starts moving. So make sure you do that first. Of course there is a possibility that the crown is slipping or that it’s having an issue with the winding gears but first understand the characteristics of the movement before you’re able to see if there’s an issue with the winding.

fletch512

Known Member
9/5/06
How long did it take for you to get QC pics and receive the watch? I ordered an APSF 16720 from Puretime almost 2 months ago, and still no QC.