• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ap 15400 dlc + franken project

Alias

Horology Curious
1/5/19
Hello all,

Finally decided to join another watch community. I’m not looking to be spoon fed information, but there’s a ton of word jumbo to take in as I learn about the modding process and help is always appreciated as I dig. What’s the cheese-it taste like? Here’s a sampling. A singular user has done a DLC + beadblast to an AP 15400 from the research I’ve done with the bar on mobile. It’s looking more and more like that’s my endgame.

Problem is, I’m not a fan of the TF factory and much prefer JF’s work. (except their printing) And the user withdrawal’d the watch for sale before I could pull the trigger and save a ton of money before I embark on pure stupidity. While I plan on messaging the user about the process or trying to bribe them to save my sanity - I want to also make a franken stein out of the project too. Something that personally, I haven’t seen done. Yep, my nuts are tingly in anticipation. Because if you’re going to murder out an AP? The gen dial is a must. (hands are impossible to find unless you’re stroking the right folk)

One user has a black gen 15400 dial fs here. I’m no watch smith. Though, I’ve already got an idea on who’s got the magic fingers with custom and servicing AP’s here. Customs is what worries me. (US) I want to network myself with the right people to make sure this thing is the best damn watch I can concept whilst also not having it nabbed or deemed “fraudulent goods” So. US is where I want the majority of the work to be done unless I can insure a deal with a user who isn’t interested in just monetary game. I’m not rich, I just want a solid watch and for this to be done right. Yes, I can pull this off visually for those looking to swipe your fingers at that not rich comment. Motorcycle is the only vehicular machine in my life and it’s a street fighter in black, gear is black and the helmet makes me look like a carbon fiber fighter pilot. Thank you very much! I look like every-biker, but slightly *cooler* because of the gear. Don’t cheap out on body insurance.

Estimated Cost of beadblast + DLC? $800 (big yike unless I can shake a tree somewhere or crowd fund) That last part is a joke. (please help) Hey, another one! It shouldn’t be hard to locate a facility in the US to do this. More common with watchmakers in the EU though. US only is looking grim, might have to suck it up.

JF 15400 Black Dial? $400 (have a JF Best Version 15202, but not a fan of the blue or shoddy text. Will part with this rep to fund the purchase of the JFV5) Cha ching. Saving money is always welcomed. I would post for sale except, we got rules here, folks. Gotta throw in some labor a bit before I can scurry on down to the sales department.

Gen Black Dial? $1,100 (Ouch) Worth it. Not worth it? Worth it. Yes. Glad we settled that one, shoulder angel.

Thinning + servicing? Unknown! I’ve heard legend is notoriously known for hitting gen thickness or below and a master at modding. But I’m still learning about snipping and all that to fit the dial + movement. I’ve seen his work and I like him. I like him a lot a lot.

All in all? Extremely excited. However, I’m a fairly skinny guy. My wrist size is practically tailored for a 15450. I haven’t worn a 15400 and that’s going to be a noticeable difference. Some people are skinnier yet, still rock the 15400. I’m being an optimist as JF aren’t planning any updates to create a V3 for the 450, and that’s left me in the weird, “gotta try it before I commit” bubble.

In the end, while I would like to source a gen dial for a 450 - they only did a blacklike dial for a diamond bezel release from my research. Realistically speaking, no ones parting that. Game plan? Patience and time. Updates will be sparse until I hold a 15400. I have to try one out before I can hopefully start the path for this crazy project. Interesting introduction to the forums, I’d say.

Reactions: N0tail_

iwantaprettywatch

Known Member
1/8/16
I read everything and while you did put in a lot of effort into this essay I am confused what is it that you want besides looking to meet competent modders in the US, you mentioned Legend but he isnt based in the US. You're looking to franken a 15400 with a gen dial and DLC but maybe you're better off with gen hands instead because they stand out more compared to the new jf v5 dials.

The thinning mod is nice but it isnt a tell on the wrist. Off the wrist and the caseback would have you exposed regardless of thinness.

Reactions: Limpy

Alias

Horology Curious
1/5/19
I read everything and while you did put in a lot of effort into this essay I am confused what is it that you want besides looking to meet competent modders in the US, you mentioned Legend but he isnt based in the US. You're looking to franken a 15400 with a gen dial and DLC but maybe you're better off with gen hands instead because they stand out more compared to the new jf v5 dials.

The thinning mod is nice but it isnt a tell on the wrist. Off the wrist and the caseback would have you exposed regardless of thinness.

I’m not locking it to the US. But would much prefer to have the blasting + DLC done locally. However, a one stop shop to thin, disassemble, blast and DLC.If the V5 dial truly improved the printing and dial that much, maybe gen hands would be the way to go, if I could locate a pair. I haven’t seen a V5 dial comparison yet, but will search now. I strongly disagree about your viewpoints on modding the case to be thinner. No one is touching or taking off my watch to view the back casing to begin with, and I’m not trying to pass it off as a rep - it’s a franken. The overall thickness is night and day for users who had it thinned and it is noticeable.

iwantaprettywatch

Known Member
1/8/16
I’m not locking it to the US. But would much prefer to have the blasting + DLC done locally. However, a one stop shop to thin, disassemble, blast and DLC.If the V5 dial truly improved the printing and dial that much, maybe gen hands would be the way to go, if I could locate a pair. I haven’t seen a V5 dial comparison yet, but will search now. I strongly disagree about your viewpoints on modding the case to be thinner. No one is touching or taking off my watch to view the back casing to begin with, and I’m not trying to pass it off as a rep - it’s a franken. The overall thickness is night and day for users who had it thinned and it is noticeable.

Can i convince you if i tell you I have a gen? 15400? People who talk about night and day difference, do they have a gen? To each their own really but thinning is definitely not on the top of the list of must do mods to get it genlike on the wrist. On the wrist being key here. You can thin it if you are looking to somewhat feel the difference of having a thin watch on your wrist or that you're that sensitive to the "balance" of the watch on the wrist but I'd tell you that it isnt necessary compared because the watch is good enough out of the box besides the hands.

Reactions: Limpy

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Can i convince you if i tell you I have a gen? 15400? People who talk about night and day difference, do they have a gen? To each their own really but thinning is definitely not on the top of the list of must do mods to get it genlike on the wrist. On the wrist being key here. You can thin it if you are looking to somewhat feel the difference of having a thin watch on your wrist or that you're that sensitive to the "balance" of the watch on the wrist but I'd tell you that it isnt necessary compared because the watch is good enough out of the box besides the hands.

Oh relax a little B. I have 2x gen 15400 and a gen 15500 and for every gen you own I will likely have 4. But that does not make my knowledge more superior to yours. I may have an advantage of experience handling and observing the gens close up but I think we can help others learn on the basis of what we observe rather than giving the impression that only gen owners have a say here lol.
I think we need to convince others based on logic and facts rather than what gens we own (or what they don’t)

I think every owner has the right to decide what mods he wants for his watch and if someone wants his watch thinned (with me or otherwise), why, it’s their right.
Are you against modding reps, building frankens or against someone wanting to send his watch to me for thinning?
Or are you saying that with your gen 15400 you have absolute say over how every rep 15400 should mod their watch?
If you’re saying that gen ownership is the gauge of how much authority one’s post should hold, then step aside now kindly and let me take over. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
And Alias I’ll gladly accept your watch to work on. We will thin it and do whatever you want so that you’re happy.
It is your watch and you can damned well do what you want with it. Gen, rep or franken, they all go on the wrist to make the owner happy.

iwantaprettywatch

Known Member
1/8/16
Oh relax a little B. I have 2x gen 15400 and a gen 15500 and for every gen you own I will likely have 4. But that does not make my knowledge more superior to yours. I may have an advantage of experience handling and observing the gens close up but I think we can help others learn on the basis of what we observe rather than giving the impression that only gen owners have a say here lol.
I think we need to convince others based on logic and facts rather than what gens we own (or what they don’t)

I think every owner has the right to decide what mods he wants for his watch and if someone wants his watch thinned (with me or otherwise), why, it’s their right.
Are you against modding reps, building frankens or against someone wanting to send his watch to me for thinning?
Or are you saying that with your gen 15400 you have absolute say over how every rep 15400 should mod their watch?
If you’re saying that gen ownership is the gauge of how much authority one’s post should hold, then step aside now kindly and let me take over. ;)

Bad choice of words here. Got carried away, I'm an advocate for people enjoying their watches the way they like it be it rep or gen, but I may have gotten a bit too passionate about the thinning, my apologies. In no way am I suggesting a gen owner is more superior but I'm honestly really surprised if people can call it night and day difference between a thinned and stock 15400. What exactly is this night and day difference that they are referring to? On the wrist, visually the thickness or rather thinness is the same as far as i can tell. Perhaps the way it feels on the wrist with regards to the balance, but I'm not too sure about night and day.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Bad choice of words here. Got carried away, I'm an advocate for people enjoying their watches the way they like it be it rep or gen, but I may have gotten a bit too passionate about the thinning, my apologies. In no way am I suggesting a gen owner is more superior but I'm honestly really surprised if people can call it night and day difference between a thinned and stock 15400. What exactly is this night and day difference that they are referring to? On the wrist, visually the thickness or rather thinness is the same as far as i can tell. Perhaps the way it feels on the wrist with regards to the balance, but I'm not too sure about night and day.

Feeling is subjective of course. There are guys who won’t care about the extra 0.6-0.7mm thickness and others who can feel it, or see it.
The thing we must learn here my young friend is: both are right and both are entitled to see/feel what they do. It’s all relative. Using an analogy of cars, a driver feels that model x is fast. But having driven the new and better model y, he feels that it is “much faster”. Now how much is much? Who decides? The driver does. Feeling, and sensory perception are all subjective and there is no point arguing it. You’re equally entitled to your view about how the thickness isn’t a significant tell and from your perspective you’re 100% correct too.
The thing is, let others have their opinions and you owning a gen should not be used to influence the way THEY feel about their watches. You’re fortunate enough to own the gen. Share your experience from your point of view without putting the other party down. In this way everyone benefits from your gen ownership in terms of knowledge.

Alias

Horology Curious
1/5/19
And Alias I’ll gladly accept your watch to work on. We will thin it and do whatever you want so that you’re happy.
It is your watch and you can damned well do what you want with it. Gen, rep or franken, they all go on the wrist to make the owner happy.

Code:

Hey Legend,

Can’t wait to work with you and your acceptance is always welcomed. I get back home tonight and I’ve got a 15202 from TR to unbox. (big yikes on that print after realizing that’s the normal ordeal) After doing some research, it does seem that V5 of the 15400 surfaced a much improved dial. I’ll more than likely be curbing that gen dial mod and just opting for a thinning for budget sake. I’m definitely still going to keep looking for more comparisons before pulling the plug entirely though. I’ve seen arguments from multiple perspectives on the V5 dial vs a gen black and I’m going to try to examine the details further this week on a better screen before finalizing my decision. As for new stuff, a 2XAR lense + titanium screws - looking like they’ll be included as well. Ah, excited to see how the 15202 fits. Should give me a solid reference for a 15400, give or take a few mm.

Reactions: Eliran13

Rolly123

17/11/18
I've also been looking at something similar - PVD or DLC base watch with the black dial from a rose gold version (gold markers, logo, hands).

I was thinking to use the following base watch below and try to source a JF dial and hands. Appreciate its not quite JF quality, but Will do for. me and don't want to spend a huge amount.

legend - do you think those parts will fit together and can be modded easily?

http://www.trustytime.cc/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=241_246&products_id=14170

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I've also been looking at something similar - PVD or DLC base watch with the black dial from a rose gold version (gold markers, logo, hands).

I was thinking to use the following base watch below and try to source a JF dial and hands. Appreciate its not quite JF quality, but Will do for. me and don't want to spend a huge amount.

legend - do you think those parts will fit together and can be modded easily?

http://www.trustytime.cc/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=241_246&products_id=14170

Yes I can likely make it fit but some mods may be needed.

Reactions: Allure