• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Anyone done the cyclops mod on the AP diver?

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
That is the look I am going for. What pieces do you think I selected, that I could have selected differently for the Gen look?

Just the mid-case/bezel: JF V7 is closer to gen than Noob 3.5/5/6. In terms of the angles, plus the compatibility with gen parts. I thought otherwise for a few years, but a few gens into the workshop to compare and a few Diver Franken projects later, the JF V7 was closer. I do not know where JF V9 will land us, but the V7 was very close.

FastPaced

Preformer
26/2/17
Just the mid-case/bezel: JF V7 is closer to gen than Noob 3.5/5/6. In terms of the angles, plus the compatibility with gen parts. I thought otherwise for a few years, but a few gens into the workshop to compare and a few Diver Franken projects later, the JF V7 was closer. I do not know where JF V9 will land us, but the V7 was very close.

Ah, I see. Yes I picked the Noob case based off of all the threads I read on here claiming the Noob case was closer to Gen than the JF. I actually ditched the JF cases for the Noob cases.

996RUF

Horology Curious
12/3/18
Great info here and helped me make my final decision. Thanks for the pics.

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
210c5c1c395f23fbfef351599b52d5a9.jpg

invaluable info FastPaced.

in your picture my best guess.
top right and bottom left dial = prof 2xar. bottom right dial = XF v2. all others look almost same

FastPaced

Preformer
26/2/17
invaluable info FastPaced.

in your picture my best guess.
top right and bottom left dial = prof 2xar. bottom right dial = XF v2. all others look almost same

I actually don't remember what ones were where in that picture except the 2AR. I did have pictures of the other cyclops in the dials, but don't have them anymore. The magnification and clarity were the things different from each other. I had the Prof 1AR in my diver for awhile, but it was to shinny. For me, the closest combo to Gen was the Prof 1AR crystal and Mikey Cyclops. I think the best looking (but not as Gen like) is Prof 1AR crystal and 2AR Cyclops. It just depends on what look you are trying to achieve.

Darkimplicates

Renowned Member
25/9/16
I had a fully modded diver before with prof 2x AR cyclop and crystal. A friend of mine had a gen and i did a quick comparison (he didnt know its a rep. i told him i wanted to look at the dial because i said different series different dial and im just curious ) so i took a quick look at all the details and i notice the gen cyclop looks pretty much 2x AR (however its 1x ar) but it has a very smooth shine on it at certain angle and some angle it looks 2x ar. Same goes to Prof cyclop but prof has a slightly bluish hue to it in different light. Same goes to the crystal as well. Altho its 1x AR on gen. it looks like 2x AR in certain angle. The rep AP cant beat the smooth shine of the gen reflection. The closest i had to gen is prof 1x ar crystal.

It depends on the DW.. my diver used both mikey old style and new i-series style DW. The older style DW is totally wrong for AP diver and having a 2x cyclop only makes the flaw very obvious. The i-series dw is closest to gen (Except gen is slightly thinner) and having a 1x cyclop makes the flaw less obvious, so making it look even more gen like!

My franken volcano has a gen cyclop on it and it looks super clear as though theres no glass. I had a gen volcano before and the cyclop looks super clear too.

Darkimplicates

Renowned Member
25/9/16
Ah, I see. Yes I picked the Noob case based off of all the threads I read on here claiming the Noob case was closer to Gen than the JF. I actually ditched the JF cases for the Noob cases.

Actually the JF case is better, just that noob 5.1 (or 3.5 iirc) as the correct more gen like bezel. My previous modded diver that i sold had JF case with noob 3.5 dial and bezel.The finishing looks better. Actually the noob 3.5 / 5.1 date window cutout , back plate and dw itself looks better then JF. so if u can get a hybrid of both its better

Reactions: FastPaced

FastPaced

Preformer
26/2/17
Actually the JF case is better, just that noob 5.1 (or 3.5 iirc) as the correct more gen like bezel. My previous modded diver that i sold had JF case with noob 3.5 dial and bezel.The finishing looks better. Actually the noob 3.5 / 5.1 date window cutout , back plate and dw itself looks better then JF. so if u can get a hybrid of both its better

I remember reading back on the threads and everyone claimed that the Noob case was closer to Gen and the JF bezel was closer to gen than the Noob one. So what is really correct, who knows. I actually bought both the Noob 3.5 and JF v7 divers to make my mash ups. I tossed the JF cases and the Noob bezels and kept my current mash up.
But the one thing consistent on the forum is the inconsistency of the information. So that is why I have to do my own experimentations, like I did with the cyclops and crystal. Next I will get a JF Diver case to compare it to the Noob case.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Nice to see you posting again Darkimplicates. My experience corresponds exactly, word for word, to what you say about the gen Diver cyclops and also the gen crystals. Indoors, in non-indirect low light, the gen Diver cyclops looks like it has 2AR. As far as inconsistent info, I am probably personally to blame: Noob V3.5 Diver was the second rep I bought many years ago, and I drummed its beat for many years, because I was kind of turned off by the generation wars that followed, and the Noob 3.5 dial was a milestone achievement in Diver reps, with all other JF dials still inferior to it by comparison. But my enlightenment came when a certain well-regarded member sent me both Noob and JF cases to choose from for his Franken, with gen dial, timing ring, and hands as part of the build. I had to choose, so I did my research, like you FastPaced. The V7 case-set was chosen in the end. It is funny that now we are mentioning bezels, because I think most of the ROO rep bezels have gone un-examined: there is a really subtle difference between a gen bezel and a rep bezel, and none of the rep ROO bezels, whether Cer, and especially SS and Ti, really capture the geometry of the gen ROO bezel. The angles and dimensions are slightly different, but the end effect is very noticeable. Rolex guys with their keen eyes for lug geometry are much further ahead of us here in the AP forum: but the Rolex guys do not have to worry about color matching as much as we do.

FastPaced

Preformer
26/2/17
I think I can still get my hands on a couple of JF v7 cases (I must have had 5 of them). I am going to check them out and send them to be rebrushed like I did with the Noob cases. I also have a new JF v9 white face diver (open caseback) on order.
Here is a something strange. The SS bracelet from my JF v7 case fit my Noob 3.5 case. I would think that it wouldn't if the plots are different from JF and Noob. I am starting to think that the Diver cases are closer to each other, but the Chrono cases are very different. I have a few JF and Noob Chronos and they are definitely different from each other as far as plots go. My goal was to have all the plots and straps interchangeable with each other (and a Gen as I am going to buy one soon) because I have a lot of custom straps made and I want to be able to swap them around, it is nice to change straps once in a while to add variety. Although my Conus based modder is tired of working on my divers, so if I switch back to JF cases, I will have to find someone else to do it for me ????.
So here is a question- are the plots on Gen Divers and ROO Chronos the same and interchangeable with each other?

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Sounds like a good plan FastPaced. The Diver plots are almost the same for Noob and JF. Both Diver plots are also almost the same to the JF ROO plots. It is the Noob ROO plots that are completely different from all others. JF and Noob bracelets are interchangeable on whatever Diver, but not on the ROOs.

FastPaced

Preformer
26/2/17
Sounds like a good plan FastPaced. The Diver plots are almost the same for Noob and JF. Both Diver plots are also almost the same to the JF ROO plots. It is the Noob ROO plots that are completely different from all others. JF and Noob bracelets are interchangeable on whatever Diver, but not on the ROOs.

That makes perfect sense from the problems that I am experiencing with my Noob ROOs.
So what are the big differences in the Noob Diver case and JF diver case?

FastPaced

Preformer
26/2/17
I forgot to mention, I have 2 Noob CPs (one is a Franken) and a JF CP. If memory serves me correctly the 2 Noobs have different plots from each other. They are off at Spongbob's having work done on them, so I can't check them to compare. I did put a set of Gen plots on one of them, but I can't remember what one I put them on. I had SO much AP stuff I get confused to what is what ????.
Everyone's collaborated efforts on here is a great help!!

rnrprof

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
24/3/14
United States
Great comments by all. Before reading this I was not even aware that mikey was making cyclops- congratulations to him as I know what an effort that can be. I am not that hard to contact but ever since the RWI crash they have not been able to set my permissions correctly.

if anyone needs to contact me email is:

[email protected]

rnrprof

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
24/3/14
United States
i am still here. great comments by all. ever since RWI crash apparently they have not been able to set my permissions correctly but you can always send me a PM here as I usually get those

reppin

Renowned Member
27/5/12
I had a fully modded diver before with prof 2x AR cyclop and crystal. A friend of mine had a gen and i did a quick comparison (he didnt know its a rep. i told him i wanted to look at the dial because i said different series different dial and im just curious ) so i took a quick look at all the details and i notice the gen cyclop looks pretty much 2x AR (however its 1x ar) but it has a very smooth shine on it at certain angle and some angle it looks 2x ar. Same goes to Prof cyclop but prof has a slightly bluish hue to it in different light. Same goes to the crystal as well. Altho its 1x AR on gen. it looks like 2x AR in certain angle. The rep AP cant beat the smooth shine of the gen reflection. The closest i had to gen is prof 1x ar crystal.

It depends on the DW.. my diver used both mikey old style and new i-series style DW. The older style DW is totally wrong for AP diver and having a 2x cyclop only makes the flaw very obvious. The i-series dw is closest to gen (Except gen is slightly thinner) and having a 1x cyclop makes the flaw less obvious, so making it look even more gen like!

My franken volcano has a gen cyclop on it and it looks super clear as though theres no glass. I had a gen volcano before and the cyclop looks super clear too.

so you would say mikey 1xAR cyclops is the better option to look gen like but prof 2xAR cyclops is better looking?

FastPaced

Preformer
26/2/17
so you would say mikey 1xAR cyclops is the better option to look gen like but prof 2xAR cyclops is better looking?

I suggest going on TRF under the diver thread and looking. I went through all the pages of that thread and there are TONS of Diver pictures, I would say that 95% of them looked more like Mikey's Cyclops than 2AR. I like the way the Prof 2AR Cyclops looks better than the Gen one, he should sell them to AP for their Divers to make them better. But I tried to make my reps as close to Gen as possible and to me that is the Mikey 1AR Cyclops (and also the Prof 1AR Crystal).
But I say everyone should go look for themselves.

reppin

Renowned Member
27/5/12
I suggest going on TRF under the diver thread and looking. I went through all the pages of that thread and there are TONS of Diver pictures, I would say that 95% of them looked more like Mikey's Cyclops than 2AR. I like the way the Prof 2AR Cyclops looks better than the Gen one, he should sell them to AP for their Divers to make them better. But I tried to make my reps as close to Gen as possible and to me that is the Mikey 1AR Cyclops (and also the Prof 1AR Crystal).
But I say everyone should go look for themselves.

I think gen look is better as well, that is what I am going for. cheers.