• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Anybody have this Vintage Seamaster 300M?

JellyJoe

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/09
If I rem well, those glasses are slightly smaller than Rollies ones, so no prob in finding decent sapphire I guess, if you want AR too, ask Taka. Imo it would look like crap without plexy but we are all different and I respect your likings nevertheless. Those reps are faulty anyway, so nvm too much of purism, just go along with what you like.

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
Those vintage SMPs are great looking watches.
I'm a little put off by the plexi crystal.
I know it's true to the gen but I'd be concerned about scratching.
The nice thing about acrylic crystals is that scratches polish right out, and they're cheap to replace when you've polished all you can.

Personally, I'm a plexiglass fan: I love watch designs from the 50s and 60s, and nothing completes the look of a Speedmaster or an old Rolex like a thick hunk of plastic that distorts light around the edges. I'm serious!

Tommy: Hold off on buying any genuine bracelets for your SM300. The Omega mesh will be fine (big bucks for a rep, though!), but the lugholes on your watch are too high for gen endlinks to fit. Trust me: I asked someone on another forum to take pictures of his own rep's lugholes.

renson

Horology Curious
10/1/09
I have found that vintage Seikos have something close to the original Omega. Then buy an authentic clasp from Ofrei.com. OR look around for a vintage JB Champion, they are dead nuts on (in fact, I think Omega bought the originals from JB). Just a though on the bracelet.
I love the watch and almost bought one right off until I saw the caseback. I'll wait for the next gen.
BTW, I don't think any original ever came with a screw down crown. Did they?

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Not sure about the crown, but you may be right. There's a very comprehensive, side-by-side review someplace. It was written by a gen owner, and is condescending as heck, but is accurate nonetheless. I'll look around for it.

dirtydawg

Horology Curious
31/10/11
Hi, any update on this watch? Have they fixed any of the problems with it?

I just love the look of this watch.