• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Anybody have this Vintage Seamaster 300M?

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
I saw this on Hont's web site, and it is calling my name.

Before I submit, however, I wondered if anybody owns one and what their impressions are.

Anybody wish to chime in, please?

Paneraiauto001.jpg

Update: I have this watch now. More pics when a bracelet arrives.

Thanks!

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
Discussions started on one of the other forums when this SM300 rep first started showing up about a month ago. However, I still don't know anyone who has received one and done a proper review. I was very tempted to get one back then, but I've since decided against it.

Here are my quick impressions based on the pictures I've seen:
+Looks pretty good if you're looking straight at the dial.
+The (non-date) dials are better than most of the fakes being sold as gens on eBay!
+Domed acrylic crystal.
+It looks like its based on the Speedmaster case, not the Planet Ocean case, as some people guessed.
-Unfortunately, the lugs are still WAY too thick. A deal-killer for me.
-Date window is tiny and shaped incorrectly. A non-date 3/6/9/12 dial would've been nice, instead of the two Big Triangle options.
-Caseback is terrible.

JellyJoe

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/09
Its faulty, I'd love a better rep of that watch, which I abs adore. Lugs really are too thick, case is wrong, dial is wrong here n there too. Pity :/

gasdoc

Certified
26/11/06
I am also waiting for the upgraded version, but I love the looks of this one!

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
I think it's bad a$$ - I say go for it!!!!! (maybe me too)

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
The lugs are prominent, but maybe it's because of the nylon strap. I may ask Hont of he can get it on a decent bracelet. I really want that damn thing!

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
The lugs are prominent, but maybe it's because of the nylon strap. I may ask Hont of he can get it on a decent bracelet. I really want that damn thing!

Ask him if he can put it on a regular 300m ss bracelet. Bad lugs or not - I love the watch.

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
Unfortunately, it's not an illusion caused by the strap. The distance between the front of the bezel and the front of the lugs is narrow, when it should be equal to the thickness of the lugs. The rep bezel looks almost flush against the lugs; from the side, it should look more like one of those pipes Mario jumps out of. OK, that may be a slight exaggeration.

Still, I say you should get the thing! You may be waiting a VERY long time for an upgraded version (just ask the guys who want a modern, non-chrono Fifty Fathoms), and I think it looks fine from its most important angle--head on. If you can't buy a rep Omega bracelet separately, I suggest you buy one of the cheaper Railmasters and see if the bracelet fits. The SM300 would look wrong on bracelet from a Moon Watch (polished midlinks) or from a modern Seamaster (5-piece links).

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
I just sent an e-mail to Hont asking him if he can source it on a bracelet. Why, not, eh? Regardless, it will be mine. :cute:

I'll keep you posted.

OK, nylon strap only, says Hont. Looks like I'll pick this rascal up as pictured and go from there.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Hey Tommy,

Has it arrived yet? I'm waiting for you to post some pics of it...

Guess I'd better order it. :unsure2: I asked Hont another question about it, and he probably doesn't have the answer, 'cuz he hasn't gotten back to me for a few days. No big deal. I'll order it on Wednesday.

enyong112

31/8/09
Guess I'd better order it. :unsure2: I asked Hont another question about it, and he probably doesn't have the answer, 'cuz he hasn't gotten back to me for a few days. No big deal. I'll order it on Wednesday.

Hehehe... It's no biggy, not in a hurry anyway... thanks...

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Sort of. Look at the original post for a wristie. And I have a mesh bracelet on the way...ever so slooooowly on the way from Hong Kong.

The provided NATO strap is a throw away. I asked Hont for anything else and he said that this is the only strap available.

OldeCrow

I'm Pretty Popular
13/4/06
Tom you can get the oem bracelet and end links from Ofrei for that too pretty reasonable price as well, figures you would land one of these while I wasn't paying attention! You better bring this to show and tell! :cute:

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Gotta use the resources, for sure. Didn't think about that one.

$25 delivered. Delivered, eventually...

Oh well. It's on the way, so it'll (hopefully) be all set in a week or two!

Meta4

Renowned Member
26/4/09
Those vintage SMPs are great looking watches.
I'm a little put off by the plexi crystal.
I know it's true to the gen but I'd be concerned about scratching.

I'm not a purist - think if I had a gen that I'd want a sapphire crystal on it.
Does anyone know how easy it would be to replace the plexi with a nice modern sapphire to keep scratching down?