• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Any horologics or people who are knowledgeable about movements here?

tomriddle

Renowned Member
25/6/07
i have a... interesting.. scenario

so here's my Panerai 111H.. Swiss ETA 6497-1 is the movement

anyways, as you can see from the pictures.. it does need servicing as one of the plates came loose..

also, when i try to set the time... i cannot move the hour/minute hands it's just loose...

BUT ... if i wind it up... the movement runs.. and get this... if I fully wind it up... I can then set the time as usual... as if the watch has no problem whatsoever

so what's going on here? how come if it's "Dead"... i cannot set the time using the crown but once i fully wind it... everything works and functions as normal

• Wow
Reactions: Dave2302

asusundevils1971

Your Parents Warned You To Stay Away From Me.
Supporter
23/2/23
Canada
The two guys below are very knowledgeable about movements and should be able to give you some great advice. Hope everything will turn out for you.

@KJ2020 @dogwood can either of you bestow your wisdom and help this member out. Thank you in advance guys.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Your symptoms don't coincide with any specific fault that I know of. Your loose plate means you also have loose screws which are likely lodging themselves in other parts causing mischief.

The fact that it is still running at times bodes well for an easy fix. Find all the loose parts and replace them where they go and all may be well.

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
As has been said above, looks like the loose plate was glued onto the plate on the right hand side of your picture, the one with no writing on it.

It is now awfully close to the balance and hairspring (the round wheel, that oscillates when it's running), likely to cause friction or totally block it at some time. Those parts are delicate. Don't use the watch before it has been fixed to avoid further, more serious damage.

For the rest of the issues further inspection is necessary.

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
I'm no watchmaker, I would describe myself as a dabbler atm, first thing I would do is remove case-back and carefully extract that plate, replace case-back..

Now see how the watch works / performs and take it from there ;)

tomriddle

Renowned Member
25/6/07
Thanks for all the comments guys :) Appreciate the knowledge drop..

yes, the watch performs perfectly otherwise which is what confuses the heck out of me.. why winding it up fully makes it seem like there's no problem..

and yes, i'll have it serviced eventually.. lol, gotta finish other projects first and this recent Rolex trip kicks my butt.. spent nearly $3,000 in 3? 4? months all on Rolex lol and to think I've avoided a Rolex until this year now I got bit hard

• Love
Reactions: Dave2302