• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Answers and Story- Modded Seamaster Chrono Guessing Game!

NaviChief

I'm Pretty Popular
30/8/06
gioarmani7428 said:
I don't qualify for the posts, but upgrade to swiss! Nice. I've got a source to get you new gen bands for around $350 (AD wants almost $700... :evil: ), if you really want to make that watch flawless.

Not bad gio! That would be an improvement, but I change straps and bracelets so often I'm not sure if I would get my money out of it :)

OK the game is now open to anyone, tell me a sign that this is a swiss 7750 instead of an asian.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
I always look for the easiest thing even though some say it is not a defining factor...but I super zoomed in on the ETA underneath the balance and if that is not an ETA stamp I'll eat my hat. Nice clean stamping...at least I'll start with that. Fun game chief. :D

gioarmani7428

I'm Pretty Popular
2/9/06
Because of the bump & lack of answers...

The main clue that this is a Swiss movement instead of Asian, is the needle on the balance/time regulator. On the Asian 7750, your only choice to change the beat of the watch is to adjust the arm attached to the balance, near the jewel cap. The Swiss movement has the needle (with etching, per 5 sec count) for a more accurate regulation of beat.

gioarmani7428

I'm Pretty Popular
2/9/06
Btw, I would use a Q-tip dipped in nail-polish remover to get rid of the excess glue around that adjusted bezel insert. :)

NaviChief

I'm Pretty Popular
30/8/06
cybee said:
I always look for the easiest thing even though some say it is not a defining factor...but I super zoomed in on the ETA underneath the balance and if that is not an ETA stamp I'll eat my hat. Nice clean stamping...at least I'll start with that. Fun game chief. :D

gioarmani7428 said:
The main clue that this is a Swiss movement instead of Asian, is the needle on the balance/time regulator. On the Asian 7750, your only choice to change the beat of the watch is to adjust the arm attached to the balance, near the jewel cap. The Swiss movement has the needle (with etching, per 5 sec count) for a more accurate regulation of beat.

Yes and Yes! Actually I didn't notice the ETA stamp in the pic, but that will do it! 25 RW$ to both of you (not that you need it but it is the idea that counts). Another difference is the "swiss made and jewel number stamp" it is pretty safe to say that if it is stamped 17 jewels, it is 100% authentic. The rest may be replicated in the newest asian 7750's, but for now, these rules should hold true 99% of the time. Consider everyone reading this educated!

p2180004vr2.jpg

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
imo, i should get &25SRWI for following this thread.. in spite of not understanding anything about

Q-Tips!

:D

NaviChief

I'm Pretty Popular
30/8/06
Final clues: answers and story to be given on Monday

1. There is only one genuine PART on the whole watch. I've already said it isn't the dial or the insert. The reason for the gen part is related to #2 below.

2. If you didn't figure out I installed a Swiss 7750 already, you need more than a clue!

3. I bought the broken SMP chrono together with a broken asian Seamaster gmt. The previous owners had already did a bit of transplant surgery. Now, what is a common problem with SMP chrono's that is fixed on mine? What could have gone wrong with someone originally trying to fix it (and was the topic of many threads)? Put 2 and 2 together for the part that these two watches share!

It is the home stretch, lets see some final answers!

LastDiplomat

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/6/07
A gen HE valve won't fit on a rep. Me thinks this quiz is a little too vague.

NaviChief

I'm Pretty Popular
30/8/06
HE crown was a good guess as it hadn't been said before. This is a tough quiz because you need to deduce what went on based on reading prior threads of modded SMP's and 7750 chrono's. I'll help spell it out some more......

I said the gen part was needed because of change #2 (the swiss 7750). What is an annoying difference between the 28.8k asian 7750 and the swiss 7750... besides build quality? The part can be seen clearly in almost every picture I have posted, except the movement pics. It wasn't essential to replace when you do a swiss 7750 swap, except if you destroyed the rep part trying to modify it like I did. :x

southcoast68

Known Member
27/4/06
Based on what I have read about the SMP chrono and its issues, I'll guess this.

1. You replaced the whole bracelet or at least the clasp from the broken GMT to fix the pin falling out issue.
2. You replaced the crown and tube and possibly the stem with the one from the broken GMT.

Thats my guess.

NaviChief

I'm Pretty Popular
30/8/06
southcoast68 said:
Based on what I have read about the SMP chrono and its issues, I'll guess this.

1. You replaced the whole bracelet or at least the clasp from the broken GMT to fix the pin falling out issue.
2. You replaced the crown and tube and possibly the stem with the one from the broken GMT.

Thats my guess.

Fantastic thinking and good show of knowledge southcoast! The bracelet is original, and I haven't had any trouble with it yet but that is a problem on the SMP chrono's. Having them side by side I can tell you there is a definite difference in quality though, with the chrono's links being superior. The clasps are slightly different in size and I am not sure if they are exchangeable (the gmt bracelet has been sold).

The crown, tube, and stem are also a big problem on the chrono. I never expected anyone to guess this from the picture, but I did have to modify the stem. I did not count this as one of the 3 things though. The stem and crown caused the original damage to the asian 7750 whereby making the watch useless. It also damaged the swiss 7750 the first time I put it together (that was a huge setback)! I had to cut the stem down to relieve some of the pressure on the keyless works. This also means it looks almost normal without having to screw down the crown using the bad spring in the crown. R2D4 noticed this from the picture, good work! Something I didn't expect is that the crown can be screwed down and released much more easily now with the shortened stem, but I leave it unscrewed most of the time.

25 RW$ to southcoast for thinking hard and keeping the game alive.

Be sure to keep these in mind:

1. There is only one genuine PART on the whole watch. I've already said it isn't the dial or the insert. I said the gen part was needed because of change #2 (the swiss 7750). What is an annoying difference between the 28.8k asian 7750 and the swiss 7750... besides build quality? The part can be seen clearly in almost every picture I have posted, except the movement pics. It wasn't essential to replace when you do a swiss 7750 swap, except if you destroyed the rep part trying to modify it like I did. :x

2. If you didn't figure out I installed a Swiss 7750 already, you need more than a clue!

3. I bought the broken SMP chrono together with a broken asian Seamaster gmt. The previous owners had already did a bit of transplant surgery. Now, what is a common problem with SMP's that is fixed on mine? What could have gone wrong with someone originally trying to fix it (and was the topic of many threads)? Put 2 and 2 together for the part that these two watches share!

spookycord

Known Member
1/6/07
guess

Well the gmt and smp chrono look to me to share a few things, but those damn hands are always getting scratched and bent, so I'm gonna go with the hands are from the gmt.

And the canon pinion or stem or whatever it's called looks taller? Is that a gen part?

southcoast68

Known Member
27/4/06
So it looks like we got 2 and 3 covered. That leaves 1 (the only genuine part) to be guessed. When you say PART, I think of one singular item, which leaves the hands out (unless only one would not fit the S7750, the minute hand or perhaps the hour hand maybe). I will guess the date wheel is the genuine part (date wheel has been mentioned before though :? ), nah, I'll say the date wheel anyway considering that the teeth on the rep date wheel do not line up exactly with the swiss date wheel, and trying to mod a date wheel would not be an easy task.

NaviChief

I'm Pretty Popular
30/8/06
Ahhhh, not quite guys. So so close though......there are hands that are different between the asian and swiss 7750. I only used one gen hand. The color difference in my first pics and the lume shot below should tell you which one. The canon pinion is fine on the swiss 7750....it has the problem of being too loose on the asian 7750. You can feel the difference when setting the hands.

Also nobody has gotten which part is switched form the gmt yet. Think of another common problem with all SMP's, and how the chrono was especially difficult to fix. Perhaps the original part was damaged somehow trying to fix this? :wink: This is getting really hard to declare a winner here so the first person to list all three in one post will get the RW$.

Go!

p2180016yd6.jpg

turbogt

14/2/07
OK, I'll give it a try:

1. Gen seconds hand (the lume is quite different from the rest, much more defined)
2. Movement swap
3. New bracelet
4. I don't know if it's called the endlinks or the first links (the ones where the bracelet connects to the case) but I'm guessing this parts came from the GMT.
5. Stem and crown swap

Cheers!

NaviChief

I'm Pretty Popular
30/8/06
turbogt said:
OK, I'll give it a try:

1. Gen seconds hand (the lume is quite different from the rest, much more defined)
2. Movement swap
3. New bracelet
4. I don't know if it's called the endlinks or the first links (the ones where the bracelet connects to the case) but I'm guessing this parts came from the GMT.
5. Stem and crown swap

Cheers!

1. YES! I bent the crap out of the original rep one while trying to modify the post.
2. YES!
3. NO!
4. nope, the endlinks are just dull....I've already re-polished the correct links. Good eye though.
5. Stem modification, yes. Crown, no.

2 out of 3 my friend! The last spot is still open, first to post the correct 3 wins! One part made it over from the gmt.....maybe this link with help shed some light......

http://replica-watch.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26475&highlight=smp+chrono+bezel