• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AMF 5712 review (and comparison vs. PPF v1)

riverSF

Horology Curious
20/8/22
San Francisco, CA

pS9k4P.png

Link to full-res images

Background

I ordered this modded 5712 from AMF back in October ‘22 (back when the build was a PPF v1, and they would try to thin out the case and had to shave the crown down). It did take an extremely long time to come (I received it in July ‘23, although they were upfront about it taking a ‘long time’ but I didn’t think THAT long). That said, it was worth the wait, and I’m very happy with it and wanted to share this review + a comparison vs. an older PPF 5712 I have (v1 with no working PR, A230, protruding crown, etc etc, although better moonphase color vs. v2).

I realize this would be better vs. a PPF v2 or the modded VSV (doesn’t it look too blue in the pics?) or even a gen to compare to, but alas (if anyone wants to loan me their gen, I’d be happy to take new photos 😉).

Also, my camera had trouble fully focusing on some points that weren’t in the same plane, so there is a little blur in some of the images. In the images, the PPF is always on the left and the AMF is on the right.

coADdD.png

Descriptions

The AMF build is custom (basically just PPF v2 w/ SW dial, custom moonphase, and some case / bracelet work), and the PPF is v1 stock w/ fake PR.

AMF

• Base: PPF v2
  • Dial: SW dial w/ custom moonphase sourced by AMF (non-SW)
  • Movement: A240 clone
  • Thickness: ~8.8mm
  • Weight: 117g (missing 3 links)
  • Other: Extra polish work on case and bracelet (especially edges of bracelet)

PPF

• Base: PPF v1
  • Dial: Stock dial
  • Movement: A230 w/ non-working PR
  • Thickness: ~9.9mm
  • Weight: 129g (missing 3 links)

CXiON5.png

Overall Thoughts

Positive

• The SW dial is beautiful, and I agree that it's the best avail dial as discussed elsewhere (I don’t know what version it is)
  • Text on the SW dial is markedly better than the PPF (thinner and more crisp)
  • The custom moon disc is beautiful and very close to gen. I was also surprised at how bad the PPF v1 moon disc is when up close (even beyond the noticeable gap)
  • The sunburst on the subdials is very striking, and almost too much. I’ve seen discussions about new 5712 dials w/ ‘less sunblast’, so maybe people know this. More on this below

Negative

• There is a noticeable difference in the thickness of the lume area on the hands and markers between both watches (PPF thinner, AMF thicker). From what I understand, there is variance in the thickness in gen depending on year, etc, but the photos of the 5712 online generally appear thinner, which is trivial but bothers me
  • Both movements look terrible IMO (laser printing on the 240 is bad), but I don’t really care how they look
  • I think the 6 o’clock hour marker on the new AMF watch is *very slightly* crooked and I can’t unsee it 🤯

Dial

3uw2Je.png

Color

• The color of the SW dial on the AMF watch is beautiful. Nice dark grey / blue / steel color with no green tint. PPF has the greenish tint
  • The sunbursts on the subdials are very obvious and distinctly different from the PPF. I thought they are almost too much vs gen, so I tried to find videos that somewhat replicated the sunburst in the gen (see video 1 and video 2). It's there, just maybe not to the degree in the SW dial. Also, note that the metal on the markers in both gen videos appears thicker than on the SW dial 😭
  • Here is a video of each watch showing the degree of sunburst and reflectivity on the dial:
PPF

AMF

Text / Printing
  • AMF text is much thinner and sharper vs. the PPF, closer to gen
  • Dots are much smaller and the AMF correctly has the larger dots at the 25 and 35 min markers like gen (PPF dots are all the same size)
Pattern
  • This is hard to describe, but the definition in the valleys running across the dial pattern is much 'harder' / more angular and more similar to gen in the AMF / SW dial
  • Spacing between the AMF subdials is better and nothing like the huge space on the Buff dial
  • The transition between the pattern and the subdials is also much smoother / less rounding at the edges in the AMF

Moonphase

mvc9wK.png

nwSecc.png

• The custom moonphase dial that AMF used is really beautiful, with sharp, reflective, uniform ink and a star pattern like gen (right star sizes / arrangement)
  • If you want to get crazy, from what I can tell the AMF star orientation / rotation also correctly matches gen and the pattern on gen is subtly different between each of the two blocks of stars on the dial which is super impressive
  • The AMF moon image occludes perfectly behind the dial, which is larger and more rounded than PPF
  • The PPF moonphase is a mess up close (sizing all wrong, bad printing, wrong color)
  • No gap / recessed wheel in the AMF version (although PPF v2 somewhat addressed this)
  • The red ‘1’ looks misaligned at the bottom to me, but it's something others have commented on and the gen looks like this too which I find odd
  • I think there is a very slight scratch on the ‘2’ in the ‘29’ and at the bottom of the '3' on my AMF version 😢

Markers + Hands

aJhQEJ.png

sz28VW.png

• Thicker lume area / thinner metal on the AMF markers. This seems contrary to most of the pictures I see online, but some do look like this
  • The metal is more rounded in the AMF version, which also seems contrary to gen
  • There is a very slight greenish / yellowish tint on the AMF lume
  • The silver pinion in the center hands looks good
  • AMF still has a gold pinion on one of the subdials, which some gen do

Case / Bracelet

UNCiv5.jpg

this is the PPF, the AMF looks similar at the ends

Ltr70z.png

• As the AMF is based on the PPF v2, the case much thinner than the v1 and closer to gen (8.7-8.9mm depending on whether you measure metal to metal or include glass vs 9.7-9.9mm for the PPF)
  • AMF recessed crown looks good, PPF v1 still stuck out like a sore thumb, literally (ignore what looks like scratches on the AMF crown)
  • PPF did a surprisingly good job on the polishing at the corners of the ends of the links in the bracelet IMO (and this is in both versions)

Movement

AAmr1O.png

• I don’t really care what the movements look like so I didn’t try to take great pictures, but I think both don’t look good

Final Thoughts

I love the watch, the dial work is beautiful (especially all the detail around the moonphase). The markers and lume bother me a bit but everything else looks great. I’m very curious to see what the modded VSV 5712 looks like and how this compares (especially the details in the dial).

Also, I have no association with AMF other than I’ve bought a number of watches from them and have really enjoyed working with them. I reviewed a few other watches I bought from them:
I also bought some others from them and will post reviews when they come:
  • Blue 5711 (currently in transit after an even longer wait than the 5712)
  • 116576TBR w/ custom dial and moissanite bezel (currently in transit)
  • 116505 (rose gold w/ custom meteorite dial, currently in production)
This is my first big review, hope you enjoy!

riverSF

Horology Curious
20/8/22
San Francisco, CA

pS9k4P.png

Link to full-res images

Background

I ordered this modded 5712 from AMF back in October ‘22 (back when the build was a PPF v1, and they would try to thin out the case and had to shave the crown down). It did take an extremely long time to come (I received it in July ‘23, although they were upfront about it taking a ‘long time’ but I didn’t think THAT long). That said, it was worth the wait, and I’m very happy with it and wanted to share this review + a comparison vs. an older PPF 5712 I have (v1 with no working PR, A230, protruding crown, etc etc, although better moonphase color vs. v2).

I realize this would be better vs. a PPF v2 or the modded VSV (doesn’t it look too blue in the pics?) or even a gen to compare to, but alas (if anyone wants to loan me their gen, I’d be happy to take new photos 😉).

Also, my camera had trouble fully focusing on some points that weren’t in the same plane, so there is a little blur in some of the images. In the images, the PPF is always on the left and the AMF is on the right.

coADdD.png

Descriptions

The AMF build is custom (basically just PPF v2 w/ SW dial, custom moonphase, and some case / bracelet work), and the PPF is v1 stock w/ fake PR.

AMF

PPF

CXiON5.png

Overall Thoughts

Positive

• The SW dial is beautiful, and I agree that it's the best avail dial as discussed elsewhere (I don’t know what version it is)
  • The custom moon disc is beautiful and very close to gen. I was also surprised at how bad the PPF v1 moon disc is when up close (even beyond the noticeable gap)
  • The sunburst on the subdials is very striking, and almost too much. I’ve seen discussions about new 5712 dials w/ ‘less sunblast’, so maybe people know this. More on this below

Negative

• There is a noticeable difference in the thickness of the lume area on the hands and markers between both watches (PPF thinner, AMF thicker). From what I understand, there is variance in the thickness in gen depending on year, etc, but the photos of the 5712 online generally appear thinner, which is trivial but bothers me
  • Both movements look terrible IMO (laser printing on the 240 is bad), but I don’t really care how they look
  • I think the 6 o’clock hour marker on the new AMF watch is *very slightly* crooked and I can’t unsee it 🤯

Dial

3uw2Je.png

Color

• The color of the SW dial on the AMF watch is beautiful. Nice dark grey / blue / steel color with no green tint. PPF has the greenish tint
  • The sunbursts on the subdials are very obvious and distinctly different from the PPF. I thought they are almost too much vs gen, so I tried to find videos that somewhat replicated the sunburst in the gen (see video 1 and video 2). It's there, just maybe not to the degree in the SW dial. Also, note that the metal on the markers in both gen videos appears thicker than on the SW dial 😭
  • Here is a video of each watch showing the degree of sunburst and reflectivity on the dial:
PPF

AMF

Text / Printing
  • Dots are much smaller and the AMF correctly has the larger dots at the 25 and 35 min markers like gen (PPF dots are all the same size)
Pattern
  • This is hard to describe, but the definition in the valleys running across the dial pattern is much 'harder' / more angular and more similar to gen in the AMF / SW dial
  • Spacing between the AMF subdials is better and nothing like the huge space on the Buff dial
  • The transition between the pattern and the subdials is also much smoother / less rounding at the edges in the AMF

Moonphase

mvc9wK.png

nwSecc.png

• The custom moonphase dial that AMF used is really beautiful, with sharp, reflective, uniform ink and a star pattern like gen (right star sizes / arrangement)
  • If you want to get crazy, from what I can tell the AMF star orientation / rotation also correctly matches gen and the pattern on gen is subtly different between each of the two blocks of stars on the dial which is super impressive
  • The AMF moon image occludes perfectly behind the dial, which is larger and more rounded than PPF
  • The PPF moonphase is a mess up close (sizing all wrong, bad printing, wrong color)
  • No gap / recessed wheel in the AMF version (although PPF v2 somewhat addressed this)
  • The red ‘1’ looks misaligned at the bottom to me, but it's something others have commented on and the gen looks like this too which I find odd
  • I think there is a very slight scratch on the ‘2’ in the ‘29’ and at the bottom of the '3' on my AMF version 😢

Markers + Hands

aJhQEJ.png

sz28VW.png

• Thicker lume area / thinner metal on the AMF markers. This seems contrary to most of the pictures I see online, but some do look like this
  • The metal is more rounded in the AMF version, which also seems contrary to gen

Case / Bracelet

UNCiv5.jpg

Ltr70z.png

• As the AMF is based on the PPF v2, the case much thinner than the v1 and closer to gen (8.7-8.9mm depending on whether you measure metal to metal or include glass vs 9.7-9.9mm for the PPF)
  • AMF recessed crown looks good, PPF v1 still stuck out like a sore thumb, literally (ignore what looks like scratches on the AMF crown)
  • PPF did a surprisingly good job on the polishing at the corners of the ends of the links in the bracelet IMO (and this is in both versions)

Movement

AAmr1O.png

• I don’t really care what the movements look like so I didn’t try to take great pictures, but I think both don’t look good

Final Thoughts

I love the watch, the dial work is beautiful (especially all the detail around the moonphase). The markers and lume bother me a bit but everything else looks great. I’m very curious to see what the modded VSV 5712 looks like and how this compares (especially the details in the dial).

Also, I have no association with AMF other than I’ve bought a number of watches from them and have really enjoyed working with them. I reviewed a few other watches I bought from them:
I misspoke, I actually ordered this in Feb '23 (it was the 5711 that was ordered in Oct '22)

zinduna

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/7/09
Very nice. Big difference between V1 and V2. I especially like the date disc on yours.

Wear it in good health.

Reactions: riverSF

Nextlevel-1050

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
22/3/22
Very nice. Big difference between V1 and V2. That is impressive.

riverSF

Horology Curious
20/8/22
San Francisco, CA
Thanks for the great review. Did AMF reprint the text or is it „stock“ SW?
They didn't do any additional text work on the SW dial, its generally pretty good as-is

The moon disc is custom, and I mentioned this but it bears repeating that from what I can tell, there are two distinct patterns of stars on either side of the moon disc in gen (distinguished by the orientation of the stars / where they point), and their custom disc captures this which I find really impressive

Jey771

Horology Curious
19/3/21

pS9k4P.png

Link to full-res images

Background

coADdD.png

Descriptions

AMF

PPF

CXiON5.png

Overall Thoughts

Positive

Negative

Dial

3uw2Je.png

Color

PPF

AMF

Text / Printing
Pattern

Moonphase

mvc9wK.png

nwSecc.png

Markers + Hands

aJhQEJ.png

sz28VW.png

Case / Bracelet

UNCiv5.jpg

Ltr70z.png

Movement

AAmr1O.png

Final Thoughts

Awesome review, I always appreciate in depth reviews like this. If possible, I’d love a similar styled review for those other AMF watches you have on the way!

By any chance did you order any of those in solid gold? I’m wanting to place a few orders with them coming up but I’m apprehensive on if I’ll regret not getting a meteorite Daytona in solid gold

riverSF

Horology Curious
20/8/22
San Francisco, CA
Awesome review, I always appreciate in depth reviews like this. If possible, I’d love a similar styled review for those other AMF watches you have on the way!

By any chance did you order any of those in solid gold? I’m wanting to place a few orders with them coming up but I’m apprehensive on if I’ll regret not getting a meteorite Daytona in solid gold
I didn't get any in solid gold, it ends up being $8-10k+ and even more if you do bracelet+case (usually most of the weight is the bracelet so you can get closer by just doing that vs. the entire watch). xing_david is doing some cool stuff with Daytona cases in tungsten but it's a hard metal to work with and also hard to plate well. AMF used to try to add lead weights behind the caseback but there were issues with them screwing up the movement and it also didn't add a ton of weight (~10 grams).

I'll review the other watches soon; the Platinum Daytona w/ the moissanite bezel looks surprisingly good (one big issue is that moissanite gives more 'fire' when it sparkles which are colored reflections vs. white reflections in real diamond, which is easy to notice if you know to look for it)

HqcCoZ.jpg

Reactions: Autobús and Jey771

riverSF

Horology Curious
20/8/22
San Francisco, CA

Also, if you are set on spending $8k+ extra on a rep (which I wouldn't recommend), I would get a gen meteorite dial instead of real gold, which would also be cheaper. Much more noticeable unless someone asks to hold the watch

BlossomboofyBoofystewie2

25/8/18
Australia
I didn't get any in solid gold, it ends up being $8-10k+ and even more if you do bracelet+case (usually most of the weight is the bracelet so you can get closer by just doing that vs. the entire watch). xing_david is doing some cool stuff with Daytona cases in tungsten but it's a hard metal to work with and also hard to plate well. AMF used to try to add lead weights behind the caseback but there were issues with them screwing up the movement and it also didn't add a ton of weight (~10 grams).

I'll review the other watches soon; the Platinum Daytona w/ the moissanite bezel looks surprisingly good (one big issue is that moissanite gives more 'fire' when it sparkles which are colored reflections vs. white reflections in real diamond, which is easy to notice if you know to look for it)

HqcCoZ.jpg
Wow! That REALLY IS NICE! Who made it for you please? And I'm guessing it's in SS?

I've asked AMF to find out for me the cost of a RG case back in tungsten + the cost to do a RG case in tungsten (these will be used to replace the SS RG case and back |I have now on a Rolex rainbow. They said they can do it but I need price before I start.

So I'm thinking that if the prices aren't too dear I could also get YOUR watch in tungsten (including bracelet i.e. "the lot") and get it plated in WG?

Jey771

Horology Curious
19/3/21

HqcCoZ.jpg
Yeah I’m aware, I have a lot of experience with moissanite and that’s one of its downfalls. Lab diamonds would’ve been a perfect alternative. The watch looks amazing though, can’t wait to see more angles of it! Is it plated platnium or just SS?

You’re building up a great AMF collection. Seems like you’re ordering all the watches I’m on the verge of pulling the trigger on so I’m excited to see your reviews :love: