• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AM I TOO PICKY!!? Not happy with QC photos!

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Patron
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
thanks for the message, I get you 100% on thickness, most glass backs are like 18.5mm+ on speedmasters šŸ˜‚ . This specific model is actually the same thickness as the metal back. Both at 15mm all in. The manuals are muuchhhh thinner.
From what I can see in my limited research, the manual wind from OMF with closed case back examples I found state 14 mm thickness on pure time website (I know this is not the same dealer you are using as their name is shown in the QA picture above, Just one whose website is one of the more user friendly and I am most familiar with). My genuine measures just over 13 mm thickness for comparison. Trust me when I tell you there is a perceivable difference since that extra millimeter plus is all on the back of the watch lifting it up further from your wrist. Ultimately you have to live with the watch so you have to decide what is acceptable under the circumstances currently and what you can be satisfied with. Let us know how it plays out and what you end up receiving. Best wishes

Reactions: P..DR..D

newest dude on the forum

Some Guy
Supporter
Patron
Certified
17/8/20
The EnGrave Yard
Just my adjacent 2 cents: I own a gen sapphire sandwich and neither of these movements look like the gen movement. I'd go with the closed caseback for sure. But the dial side is all wrong too, so maybe you aren't concerned with looking gen.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Although itā€™s somewhat late for this observation, Iā€™d just add that the classic moonwatch is one watch Iā€™ve always resisted buying in rep, for one simple reason: its really obvious dial flaw. Due to the layout of the movement, the 3 and 9 subdials are pushed too far out towards the edge of the dial, causing the indices to have to be shorter. Iā€™m not really one for screaming ā€œinstant tellā€ (because no one else in the entire world would ever notice, apart from the anoraks on this forum), but for me it spoils the aesthetic balance of the dial.

So the moonwatch remains on my ā€œhave to buy the genā€ list. And there are plenty of other similar speedy models for which this movement limitation isnā€™t the same issue on the rep versions.

abezr

Getting To Know The Place
6/10/22
Although itā€™s somewhat late for this observation, Iā€™d just add that the classic moonwatch is one watch Iā€™ve always resisted buying in rep, for one simple reason: its really obvious dial flaw. Due to the layout of the movement, the 3 and 9 subdials are pushed too far out towards the edge of the dial, causing the indices to have to be shorter. Iā€™m not really one for screaming ā€œinstant tellā€ (because no one else in the entire world would ever notice, apart from the anoraks on this forum), but for me it spoils the aesthetic balance of the dial.

So the moonwatch remains on my ā€œhave to buy the genā€ list. And there are plenty of other similar speedy models for which this movement limitation isnā€™t the same issue on the rep versions.
What would you say is the best rep out there in your opinion for the speedmaster?

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Patron
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
What would you say is the best rep out there in your opinion for the speedmaster?
Truthfully, none are accurate from the dial side. Subdial spacing is always off due to the underlying movement's difference in layout. .

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Patron
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
As said by others, there is no good replica of the speedmaster. You either have the mechanical version with the sub dials space further apart versus the genuine or you have a quartz version which has a ticking seconds subdial. This was one of my first moderately expensive genuine watches I purchased since I wanted one but I couldn't live with the flaws. Considering how popular it is and how many years is been in production in essentially the same form it's surprising that they haven't cloned the movement yet to get the sub dials in the right position. I've heard many theories passed around as to why it hasn't been replicated better, probably it boils down to the cost of developing a true clone movement versus selling less accurate pieces at a lower price point and still making a comparable profit, without the initial outlay that developing a new movement or cloning the genuine's movement would cost

Reactions: P..DR..D

TDFBluWaffle

Getting To Know The Place
Supporter
Certified
11/9/18
Munich
Also regarding movement finishing: itā€™s a simple ST19 movement. My mind would be blown if there are truly different finishing versions of it on any of the reps. Probably only depends on lighting in the pics.

Teamjlf

I'm Pretty Popular
9/9/19
Replica oblivionā€¦
In the meantime Iā€™m quite enjoying my speedy racing. Decent rep with good dial layout. Yes yes it has the sunken date but due to the black date wheel itā€™s only noticeable on some anglesā€¦

Chrono works a treat, but I purposely avoid using it. ( A7750 time bomb ) Watch has good accuracy keeping to @ +_ 10 secs per day and the power reserve is quite good. Measured at 45 hours.

GrandmasterChime

Agent Provocateur
Certified
6/1/19
New Zealand
In the meantime Iā€™m quite enjoying my speedy racing. Decent rep with good dial layout. Yes yes it has the sunken date but due to the black date wheel itā€™s only noticeable on some anglesā€¦

Chrono works a treat, but I purposely avoid using it. ( A7750 time bomb ) Watch has good accuracy keeping to @ +_ 10 secs per day and the power reserve is quite good. Measured at 45 hours.

Those are nearly 20mm thick,. I wouldn't call that decent

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Patron
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I believe the manufacturer OMF has one where both hands on the subdial at 3 are functional. That one is the super tall one that's being referred to at somewhere around 19 to 19 and 1/2 mm. I don't remember the exact size. There's thinner ones where the hands at 3:00 are fixed. The 19 mm one also has that really deep date due to a modifier plate with gear train to move the functioning of the subdials to the 3:00 position and is one of those that's prone to issues like the old Daytona 7750 and the AP roo offshore. A majority of the unreliability comes from that modifier plate

GrandmasterChime

Agent Provocateur
Certified
6/1/19
New Zealand
I believe the manufacturer OMF has one where both hands on the subdial at 3 are functional. That one is the super tall one that's being referred to at somewhere around 19 to 19 and 1/2 mm. I don't remember the exact size. There's thinner ones where the hands at 3:00 are fixed. The 19 mm one also has that really deep date due to a modifier plate with gear train to move the functioning of the subdials to the 3:00 position and is one of those that's prone to issues like the old Daytona 7750 and the AP roo offshore. A majority of the unreliability comes from that modifier plate
Makes sense. But not for me