• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AM I TOO PICKY!!? Not happy with QC photos!

abezr

Getting To Know The Place
6/10/22
Hey guys,

Im trying to buy a speedmaster pro - manual with a glass back. Found the perfect one and made the purchase. However, after getting the first batch of QC photos, I was sent one with a solid back. I let the owner know and a couple days later I received the following...

This is the advertised photo on the listing i purchased..

Am I crazy to expect that it should have OMEGA logo, the internals are also looking very blotchy and unrefined. Secondly, the case-back itself has the wrong wording like silver snoopy, awards etc....

I want to be respectful to the shop as their service has been AMAZING but... I am being told by them that this is fine, the quality is good and so on... Is it normal of me to want these details when buying a rep? Let me know your thoughts and experiences. Thanks!

PTwatchLover

Certified
29/8/22
Portugal
I know nothing about that model in particular but I would expected to get a watch like the one advertised... or at least a great explanation. They couldn't get that model from factory XXX and instead got the same model but from factory ZZZ?

Reactions: P..DR..D and abezr

abezr

6/10/22
I know nothing about that model in particular but I would expected to get a watch like the one advertised... or at least a great explanation. They couldn't get that model from factory XXX and instead got the same model but from factory ZZZ?
Im with you on this, my thought is that they ordered a steel back ( probably same movement without so much effort on aesthetics) but once I complained, they frankensteined a glass back from another watch but the internals are still not pretty... They keep telling me this is great quality but im not having it... I just dont know what the norm is as this is my first rep order ever..

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
The caseback engraving on the QC pic is rubbish. The Silver Snoopy Award watches have a solid caseback with a relief image of Snoopy (or other Snoopy related scene). Given that the Chinese don't really know what the English phrases on these reps mean, it's not unusual for them to be wrong or mis-spelt, but it's something you only expect to see on the budget models. So if the rep is more than a couple of hundred $$, then if it was my money, I wouldn't be happy with a caseback that's completely wrong.

abezr

6/10/22
The caseback engraving on the QC pic is rubbish. The Silver Snoopy Award watches have a solid caseback with a relief image of Snoopy (or other Snoopy related scene). Given that the Chinese don't really know what the English phrases on these reps mean, it's not unusual for them to be wrong or mis-spelt, but it's something you only expect to see on the budget models. So if the rep is more than a couple of hundred $$, then if it was my money, I wouldn't be happy with a caseback that's completely wrong.
Its 350$ :(, not cheap. Im the type to always settle but I can't for this, appreciate the answer.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Patron
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I am in agreement with the assessments above. The most likely scenario is they just grabbed some random case back and threw it on the watch. I am sure the movement is it's very solid as far as it's durability and how it's running as those are known workhorse movements. That being said it definitely lacks the expected finish details which are in the dealers website picture. Personally I would either request they obtain a model which has the correct movement details and finishing. I am just curious if you looked at the pictures of the dial side, are there any tells that would indicate it's the same watch they sent you pictures of the first time? Another thing to consider as well is, And if I'm wrong others can chime in and correct me, It's my understanding that the open case back models have a sapphire crystal versus the closed case back models still have the plexi. If what we suspect occurred then you would have a plexi watch with an incorrect open case back displaying a movement that was never intended to be shown like this.

Reactions: abezr and P..DR..D

domiffm

handsome
Patron
Certified
28/4/15
Germany
Also the strap looks much cheaper on the QC pic (just check out the logo print/cut) and the winding crown is a different one.

Reactions: P..DR..D

abezr

6/10/22
(thank you guys for your input, it is very much appreciated)
Here is the first set of QC pictures before I complained about the case-back.

And these what I got later, Im pretty sure its the same watch

abezr

6/10/22
You know what, the leather straps are different! hmmmmmmmm not sure what is going on lol.. 😂

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Patron
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
From what I can tell from the pictures I don't think it's the same watch. Look at the serial number on the inner lug and it does not appear to be the same number. The strap on the first one has a couple of places where the threads are looking loose and frayed and the second one does not have that. Considering the difference in reflectivity that occurs with the sapphire versus the plexi I'm inclined to think that the second frontal picture is a sapphire since it has what looks to be an anti-reflective coating blue hue to it..... The same cell phone is white in the reflection from the first picture That being said the case back is still completely wrong with the wrong engravings

abezr

6/10/22
From what I can tell from the pictures I don't think it's the same watch. Look at the serial number on the inner lug and it does not appear to be the same number. The strap on the first one has a couple of places where the threads are looking loose and frayed and the second one does not have that. Considering the difference in reflectivity that occurs with the sapphire versus the plexi I'm inclined to think that the second frontal picture is a sapphire since it has what looks to be an anti-reflective coating blue hue to it..... The same cell phone is white in the reflection from the first picture That being said the case back is still completely wrong with the wrong engravings
You sir... Have an amazing eye wow just realizing that too.

Reactions: Rx4Time

ManTom

25/10/21
Ultimately with QC’s it’s personal. Some people can put up with things that others can’t. You just have to remember that you’re buying a rep and it’s not going to be perfect. In this case I know nothing about the model so can’t really help.

Reactions: Sober_Jesus

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
I'm a faithful Panerai man, who once in a while has an affair with a vintage Rolex. I own no Omega watch and never owned one in my life. That said, if I order a replica of a . . . um . . . famous watch, I want it to look as closely to the real thing as possible. I have no idea what the caseback on the GEN looks like, so if the GEN has a closed case back, I'd want a closed caseback. If the GEN has a display case back, I'd want a display case back. And if the watch comes with a display case back, I'd want the movement to look as close to the GEN movement as possible.

We went through this process with the PAM382 Bronzos, where different factories tried for years to come close, until VSF finally achieved that goal in 2020 (?) with their V2 model.

That said, I also have not a single watch that could have been bought for $350, the amount you spent on this Omega. I consider that amount entry level still.

Just my 2 cents.

abezr

6/10/22
Ultimately with QC’s it’s personal. Some people can put up with things that others can’t. You just have to remember that you’re buying a rep and it’s not going to be perfect. In this case I know nothing about the model so can’t really help.

I'm a faithful Panerai man, who once in a while has an affair with a vintage Rolex. I own no Omega watch and never owned one in my life. That said, if I order a replica of a . . . um . . . famous watch, I want it to look as closely to the real thing as possible. I have no idea what the caseback on the GEN looks like, so if the GEN has a closed case back, I'd want a closed caseback. If the GEN has a display case back, I'd want a display case back. And if the watch comes with a display case back, I'd want the movement to look as close to the GEN movement as possible.

We went through this process with the PAM382 Bronzos, where different factories tried for years to come close, until VSF finally achieved that goal in 2020 (?) with their V2 model.

That said, I also have not a single watch that could have been bought for $350, the amount you spent on this Omega. I consider that amount entry level still.

Just my 2 cents.
I agree that 350$ isn't much but it really depends - speedmasters rarely go over 450$ on the rep sites ive seen (unless some special all ceramic edition etc..). With that being said, im not looking for perfect, im looking to get what's advertised at the least. So when I got the wrong case backs, movements etc in the QC photos i just want to be sure (being a noob) that im being respectful and reasonable when speaking with the shop in question.

P..DR..D

Regendary Member
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
I agree that 350$ isn't much but it really depends - speedmasters rarely go over 450$ on the rep sites ive seen (unless some special all ceramic edition etc..). With that being said, im not looking for perfect, im looking to get what's advertised at the least. So when I got the wrong case backs, movements etc in the QC photos i just want to be sure (being a noob) that im being respectful and reasonable when speaking with the shop in question.
I dont know the watch & have never dealt with this TD, but regardless of the watch/dealer, if they advertise A & I pay for A, I expect A.

That's why they are a Trusted Dealer.
It's as simple as that for me tbh.

Any deviation, without a reasonable explanation, clearly communicated to you, is breaching that trust.

May be fair to tag the TD here so they can explain their side of things? Unless you're in communication with them via PM already.

Either way, best of luck.

Last edited:

abezr

6/10/22
I dont know the watch & have never dealt with this TD, but regardless of the watch/dealer, if they advertise A & I pay for A, I expect A.

That's why they are a Trusted Dealer.
It's as simple as that for me tbh.

Any deviation, without a reasonable explanation, clearly communicated to you, is breaching that trust.

May be fair to tag the TD here so they can explain their side of things? Unless you're in communication with them via PM already.

Either way, best of luck.

The dealer has been quick to respond and generally really nice and all... So im doing my best to treat this privately without any negative associations etc.. Thanks for the message!

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Patron
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Hopefully you can sort it out. If the model you ordered and what is pictured on their website is not available perhaps they can offer something in addition if you accept that one (maybe throw in a NATO strap, or freeze the subdial at 6 :00 for no charge since the Venus 75 has a 24-hour running subdial versus a 12-hour counter for the chronograph on the genuine). I do not feel as though the watch you received a QA picture of would be the same price point as the one pictured on their website.

All this being said, I personally would prefer the closed case back model since it will have a thinner case back and sit lower on the wrist and be more comfortable. I am generally not a fan of open case back watches that I'm actually wearing. They're beautiful to look at but the sapphire case back adds thickness and height of the mid case from the wrist

Reactions: P..DR..D

mrhavana

14/12/11
UK
The QC watch does not match the promo shot, and it's not a subtle or nuanced difference, so it would not be unreasonable to reject the watch. It's up to the individual buying as to whether to let it slide (it's only the back), or politely insist on a watch which matches the advertised watch. My tuppence.

Reactions: p0pperini and abezr

abezr

6/10/22
Hopefully you can sort it out. If the model you ordered and what is pictured on their website is not available perhaps they can offer something in addition if you accept that one (maybe throw in a NATO strap, or freeze the subdial at 6 :00 for no charge since the Venus 75 has a 24-hour running subdial versus a 12-hour counter for the chronograph on the genuine). I do not feel as though the watch you received a QA picture of would be the same price point as the one pictured on their website.

All this being said, I personally would prefer the closed case back model since it will have a thinner case back and sit lower on the wrist and be more comfortable. I am generally not a fan of open case back watches that I'm actually wearing. They're beautiful to look at but the sapphire case back adds thickness and height of the mid case from the wrist
thanks for the message, I get you 100% on thickness, most glass backs are like 18.5mm+ on speedmasters 😂 . This specific model is actually the same thickness as the metal back. Both at 15mm all in. The manuals are muuchhhh thinner.