• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Albie's PO 42mm franken project

albiea

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/1/13
PO 42mm franken project

Ok so i'm new to these forums and the rep scene for less than a week or so now (at the time of writing this post).

All my life I've had gen watches, such as my current Tissot PRC200. However, I've always had a grail watch and that was the PO. Unfortunately circumstance (me having a bit more of an expensive interest in automobiles) can't really afford to spend a few G on a watch. Well, that's a half truth, a few years ago i purchased my first ever really expensive watch which was a BOND SMP 300m (non chrono gen) but when the POs came out, I sold the SMP and purchased a gen PO. A few months after purchase, I ran into some financial difficulty and had to sell the PO. I eventually settled down with a cheapy gen PRC200 chrono and it hasn't missed a beat for now a few years. Although in the back of my mind, I do want to get back and buy a PO (one day hopefully a Big Face 45.5mm gen).

The other night after drinking I noticed a youtube video which compared Gen / Reps (well the PO v1/v5/Gen). This got me really interested since the movement was pretty similar and the defects were pretty minimal compared with the v5 and the v1. I remember a few years back looking at the v1 and noticed the imperfections and decided to never get one. Anyways, this video pointed me to a TD (on another forum) and proceeded to drop some hard earned dosh $$$ and bought one.

The next morning, I proceeded to look into what issues were having with the PO 42mm v5 and saw that the main issue was thread stripping from the crown and tube. I figured, well i could probably fix that myself once I get the watch instead of taking it to a watchmaker (who would probably question the authenticity of the watch) so I proceeded to do more research and found a few other forums (to date I've signed up for RWI/RWG/Repgeek) and learnt more about this watch.

Me being a bit of a car guy, I have an extensive history in dealing with tuner cars over the past few years (which has been my very expensive hobby aside from photography). So armed with this can do attitude (and if i break it, well i can possibly order another v5 watch), i've been trolling the various forums and based on the guidance of various posts and finally pulled the pin again and ordered a heap of parts and watch maker tools - to date I've spent around $100 bucks in just watch maker tools and equipment (ie JB weld bond, Loctite, etc).

Why do you ask why I wanted to do a franken PO when i could've gone out and bought a used PO. Well the market in Australia for luxury watches is severely inflated, where a new PO would cost upwards of 4-5k+ from an AD or a used PO would be around 2-3k+. I also know that I've always wanted to know how watches work and also how to fix them (especially since I wanted to get my old watch serviced and the AD here wanted to charge me a few hundred bucks just to do that - basically involved a new battery and making sure that the gaskets weren't leaking so it was waterproof, plus the time was accurate).

Anyways, to cut a long story short, I'm here now writing my experiences with modifying this watch and also the amount of effort to get the pieces that i've ordered so that I can be happy wit the time piece - and also share what I've learnt in working with the watch.

davistorm

17/5/12
Good luck! There are loads of Franken projects posted here for you to get inspiration and knowledge from, hope it all goes well and looking forward to seeing your transformation :)

albiea

17/1/13
So to begin with, I purchased a Omega PO 42mm

which came with the following:

MOVEMENT: Nickle Plated Swiss Eta 2824-2 Automatic movement, 28800bph, 25J, Insginia Rotor
CASE DIAMETER: 42mm - With Correct 20mm Lug Width
THICKNESS: 14.5mm
DIAL COLOR: Black Dial with Great Lumed Stick Markers, White 6/9/12 Numeral Markers, Correct Omega Logo - No Happy Feet
CASE MATERIAL: Solid Stainless Steel 316L, Correct HE postion
BRACELET: Brushed SS Bracelet With Diver's extension, Correct Planet Ocean Engraving on Clasp
FRONT GLASS: Sapphire crystal Correct Purple Tone AR coating as Per Genuine
BACK GLASS: Solid Case Caseback With Insignia Logo and Anticounterfeit Print
BEZEL: Black Uni directional Rotating Diver Bezel
HACK MOVEMENT: Yes
CLASP TYPE: Double Deployant Folding Clasp/Buckle
DATE INDICATOR: At 3:00 position

OTHER REMARKS:
Water Resistant
Correct HE Valve Placement
Correct Omega Logo
No Happy Feet
Purple Tone AR Coating

here's some pics of the actual watch (from the TD's QC) -
HyEcq.jpg

4hTFK.jpg

I noticed that there were already a couple of imperfections with this unit but they should be resolved with this little project

albiea

17/1/13
So this afternoon I hit up hit up Cousins and also ofrei for some parts.

This is what I bought...

Crown, Omega 9 x Ø6.10, Depth 4.50 Stainless Steel Waterproof (42184ST) x 1 @ £14.58
Hand, Hour & Minute, Steel With Luminous Infill, Omega 065WZ4314 (X23008) x 1 @ £21.30
Hand, Centre Seconds, Stainless Steel With Red Tip, Omega 066WZ4315 (X22266) x 1 @ £9.70
Pendant Case Tube, Omega 090ST1232 (X12870) x 1 @ £3.22
Pusher, Stainless Steel, Omega 086ST0115 (086ST0115) x 1 @ £50.80
Date Ring 3H White Figures On Black Background ( 2557.1 ), ETA 2802 (ETA280225571WB3) x 1 @ £6.63

I noticed that cousins didn't have the 42mm Black/Orange dial so i hit up Ofrei ...
Omega Dial For Model 2209.50.00 Caliber 2500OME-2500-DIAL#2 $264.00

So to date, the rep watch has pretty much cost me what a Tissot would cost from an AD... I'm pretty happy with that, and it will resolve a few of the presentation issues (and also the weak link which is the rep crown and tube and replacing it with a Gen one).

I was going to get a 42mm gen bezel but that might be a later on thing to do. The strap, I'm not really concerned that it's a rep (although the buckle I'm a bit hesitant that it's not going to clasp properly).

I'll take more pictures and that once the stuff arrive (including the watch) and let you know how i go.

And for those wondering, yes I'm doing this all myself with no prior experience in watch repair or working with watches!

albiea

17/1/13
Good luck! There are loads of Franken projects posted here for you to get inspiration and knowledge from, hope it all goes well and looking forward to seeing your transformation :)

Thanks it should be a fun little project to do and keep me occupied :)

risdian

19/3/11
You might consider the better AR ed sunnydale 42mm crystal. Its definitely cheaper than the gen crystal. Its a quite active thread on omega section RWI

albiea

17/1/13
You might consider the better AR ed sunnydale 42mm crystal. Its definitely cheaper than the gen crystal. Its a quite active thread on omega section RWI

Yeah I saw Sunnydales AR crystal on the forums this afternoon. In fact, I've Pm'ed and replied to sunnydale's thread on this forum and another forum. Hopefully he gets back to me soon :)

Shooter999

6/1/13
Way to go.

I'm in exactly the same position as you and also want the mods that you're going to do?

Are you planning on providing detailed pictures as you go? If you are, then I might tag along and follow you.

I've never ever done anything like this before & just seeing the size of the crown tube (I've already bought from Cousins) is a bit scary as it made me realise how exact you have to be.

If youre not posting pics and doing a how to, good look with the mods.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Sounds good. I've got the V4 42 PO and Sunnydale's crystal is excellent. I bought a gen hand set and dial a few months ago but unfortunately it only got as far as the post office sorting center in NYC and then disappeared. Major setback. I'm gonna hold off a while before moving forward again.

I'm sticking with the V4 because it has a much better crown and tube plus the HE valve is more correct. In my opinion and from what I've seen and heard, I think it's just a better built watch to start with.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
I agree kbh, I have a 4th gen also and the crown tube is top notch, screws in fully about 7 times, one of my best watches in this regard.

Good project op, you're keen :) ...definitely get sunnys crystal, it is outstanding quality for the money and at 1/3 cost of gen crystal it is a no brainer. The gen dial/hands is a must tbh, after that it is down to mostly functional stuff, such as crown/tube. If you want to have it as close to gen as possible then the bezel, He, clasps, endlinks, gen strap are also to be considered. Try get stuff like the gen bezel/clasps/endlinks 2nd hand, it can really keep costs down.
The crown/tube isn't difficult, just have good tools for the basic stuff, plenty of time preparing and and in addition needle nose pliers, needle files, masking tape for case, jbweld etc, the main thing is preparation and then keeping the gen tube straight and steady while bonding. Good luck.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Another interesting thing I found out is that Narikaa's original POrikaa has a much better bracelet and clasp than either the current or the V4. I had each and swapped out the bracelets and sold the POrikaa with the V4 bracelet. Although I do find it more comfortable on a nice leather strap.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
What is this part you listed?

I have had both a 4G and 5G PO Frankened. I sold the 4G... ;)

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
New guy straight into franken? Damn you are into serious troubles!!! :lol1:

What is this part you listed?

I have had both a 4G and 5G PO Frankened. I sold the 4G... ;)

I think thats the HE valve Q

albiea

17/1/13
Definitely will post up pics and detailed instructions (although there are a heap of people on the forums who have done it).

Definitely heading into the deep end head first but at least I'll learn stuff along the way!! :)

Yup that was the HE valve.

albiea

17/1/13
Just ordered the AR crystal from Sunnydale... very excited about this entire project :)

deef3

Horology Curious
28/11/11
I have all of the same parts on the way also. Well except the HE valve, that will come later. The crown tube is on back order from ofrei so I have another 2 weeks or so until that comes in. Look forward to seeing how yours turns out!

albiea

17/1/13
My gen black/orange dial is also on back order from ofrei and a few other things also. Looks like i won't be able to start this project till feb.

I don't mind waiting as long as I have all the parts there it should be better to do it in one go, I have a new gearbox going into my car in a couple of weeks time and need to get it tuned for more poweeerrrrr (as Jeremy Clarkson would say) so I've been a bit busy organising that recently.

I saw on the cousinsuk website that the bezels are cheaper than what i expected so I may order one next month (i get paid monthly).

I'm just hoping i don't strip the crown thread on the PO rep before i start the project though.

olworthers

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/07
This is going to be another great franken!

Lots of great info here to help you build it too...

Looking forward to seeing the finished article!

-OW