• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Airport Security and Travelling with / wearing a Replica watch

Observvito

Getting To Know The Place
Supporter
Certified
24/5/24
US.
New York airports for sure. Atlanta and I think Miami. The devices spot it and they send you to the back of the line - watch in bin. Wallets. Keys.Folded cash etc. etc. etc.
One time I was wearing a non metallic elastic back brace. Sure enough....
I was 100% wrong with this post.

Just did JFK and MCO. I asked and both times TSA told me to leave my watch on.

Reactions: Dave2302

SubStalker

13/3/24
East Coast USA
I was 100% wrong with this post.

Just did JFK and MCO. I asked and both times TSA told me to leave my watch on.

I flew out of IAD this week and was told to take off and put in the bin. There's no protocol or uniformity it seems - US or internationally. Moving forward I'm going to just leave my watch on unless asked to take it off.

rek00001

24/4/13
I always travel with just one watch and put it in my carryon backpack before going through security. I too have this irrational fear that my watch in the bin could somehow get "lost".

Security lines these days being chaotic I don't need the stress of finding my watch in the bin when all these bins are getting jammed up and people are scrambling to get their belongings back.

Shaggy-one

Supporter
Certified
1/12/22
Canada
I travel with my rep a lot, never a problem, but they always make me put it in the tray.

Art Vandelay

Importer / Exporter
Supporter
Patron
Certified
21/3/23
🇬🇧
I've never been asked to remove my watch, gen or rep. Although do get occasionally reminded to remove my belt

Will add that this experience has been across multiple mainland eu flights.

torontotbr

Known Member
25/8/23
how would they know it's a rep??? I wouldn't worry about it too much mate

having said that, I usually just wear a g-shock when travelling...

Cubby

Known Member
11/4/24
Just completed a trip to the Gulf, thought I would try to keep my watch on and go security. Every time it set it off and I got searched. Will be going back to the old method of putting it in my bag.

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
I always travel with just one watch and put it in my carryon backpack before going through security. I too have this irrational fear that my watch in the bin could somehow get "lost".

Security lines these days being chaotic I don't need the stress of finding my watch in the bin when all these bins are getting jammed up and people are scrambling to get their belongings back.

I have no fear of it getting lost, but getting scratched. That one time when the security employee carelessly tossed it into the basket and it went skidding all over the place was enough for me to take it off and put it somewhere safe beforehand.

Kennexo

Do not accept unsolicited offers
2/9/24
I’ve traveled with a replica watch a few times and found that it usually doesn’t cause any issues at security, but it’s always best to be prepared. When I went through security with a similar watch, they asked me to take it off and put it in the bin, but it was smooth sailing otherwise.

TerryRobot

Patron
Certified
13/9/15
Security people do not care or have the skills to question the authenticity of anything, the people you want to wathc out for are customs they are the one that will not be looking to call you out on it being a fake but looking to see if you are bring an item of high value into the country, so strolling through security it fine but strutting through customs like Ye flashing it all off is gonna get attention and will one of 3 ways a hefty duty bill for undeclared goods, your telling them its a fake and then having to point out all the flaws to prove it and then they relegate it to the bin as contraband or finally they think your are talking crap either way and decide they wanna get stinky hands on you!

The other issue you might have is flashing around in un familiar places and getting mugged.

Getting caught for a rep at an airport is the least of your travel woes, its the the state of the toilets, the screaming kids or obese person sat next to you if you fly bucket/coach will be more annoying!

If they were that hot on fake stuff they would have most people on the way back from China, Kuala Lumpar, Egypt, turkey all naked with the amount of Walph Lauren, Blurberry, Triffany and Mike stuff that is on sale at night markets everywhere!

Dont fret about, dont be flash and it wont be an issue, well unless its got some c4 or columbian marching dust on it!

flashu

Tequila Patron
Supporter
Patron
Certified
5/2/22
EU
This is what happens if they get you wearing a replica watch in the airport, there is a special squad looking for little fu..ers wearing replica and punish them on spot.
No one gets alive if got caught.

Shooting Kill It GIF by BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Just traveled for the first time with my rep
Clean Panda
I just dropped the watch in a travel case and into my backpack as soon as I landed. I had kept it on the wrist while departing.m as there is no customs gate when leaving.

I agree that the probability to be call put by arrivals customs is vanishingly small, but still better safe than sorry…

Now if they stop you for a check with no watch on the wrist, it means that you have other issues than a rep 😂

TerryRobot

Patron
Certified
13/9/15
Just traveled for the first time with my rep
Clean Panda
I just dropped the watch in a travel case and into my backpack as soon as I landed. I had kept it on the wrist while departing.m as there is no customs gate when leaving.

I agree that the probability to be call put by arrivals customs is vanishingly small, but still better safe than sorry…

Now if they stop you for a check with no watch on the wrist, it means that you have other issues than a rep 😂
Most times customs guys only appear for certain inbound flight arrivals (its just luck one arrives when your own flight arrives) Or on a tip off. If you are flying from a known country for trafficking they will be there, they are not interested in some dude who bought a dodgy watch from a beach hawker or street seller really.

Last edited:

TerryRobot

Patron
Certified
13/9/15
This is what happens if they get you wearing a replica watch in the airport, there is a special squad looking for little fu..ers wearing replica and punish them on spot.
No one gets alive if got caught.

Shooting Kill It GIF by BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment
They dont use bullets these days they throw all the confiscated water bottles at you like a stoning. You can fight back with your shoes or you belt though so its all good! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Most times customs guys only appear for certain inbound flight arrivals (its just luck one arrives when your own flight arrives) Or on a tip off. If you are flying from a known country for trafficking they will be there, they are not interested in some dude who bought a dodgy watch from a beach hawker or street seller really.
You are 100% right
That said, dropping the watch in the bag is nothing and you pass a very low probability to negligible

Reactions: TerryRobot

Kerbus

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
FL
I wil be traveling later this year up north and will probably wear/bring a rep with me. I always found if you look the part, there’s no reason to be singled out. My clothes go hand in hand with a fine timepiece I’m not that stupid though, luckily it will be cooler weather and I’ll be sure to keep it tucked under my sleeve