• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Adjusting Bezel Insert Alignment on a Omega SMP GMT

Maestrosa

Known Member
12/2/07
Good Afternoon,

My insert is not lined up with the bezel and I would like to fix this if possible.

I do want to mention I did search the forums for information on how to do this and came across one post that said to use a hair dryer and heat up the bezel to remove the insert.

To be honest, I am really uncomfortable doing this, but will do so if necessary. I am hoping some of you fine folks could give me a break down on the best, easiest, and safest way to remove my bezel insert and then how to reattach it without worry.

I appreciate any help!

Thanks,

Tom

Maestrosa

Known Member
12/2/07
Thanks mjv, however, I thought it might be possible just to remove the insert and not the entire bezel? I will read through this a few time and maybe give it a try!

Thanks again!

Tom

Maestrosa

Known Member
12/2/07
I Just saw this tutorial on adjusting the Bezel Alignment:

Any thoughts on this? There was not many comments about it where I found it, as well, I am curious how well the glue would hold up after doing this.

Thanks!

Here is a quick and easy fix that a member from RWG.CC suggested. I've done this on my SMP Chrono and it took about 2-minutes...

This is what you need:

(1) Hair Dryer

(1) Pair of Leather Gloves

- Place your watch on a flat surface.

- Turn on the hair dryer and point it at the face of the watch. Hold it there for about 45-seconds.

- At this point, the glue that holds the blue insert should be soft enough for you to turn the insert.

- Use your gloves and slowly turn the blue insert so that it aligns correctly.

- Once aligned, let it cool off for about 5-minutes and your are done!

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
That should work in theory. I wouldn't expect that minimal amount of heat to compromise the integrity of the adhesive at all...

DuDro

3/8/06
peepshow said:
That should work in theory. I wouldn't expect that minimal amount of heat to compromise the integrity of the adhesive at all...

That was my post and it really worked! At least it work on my SMP Chrono....I don't have a SMP GMT to try this on so the glue could be different.

What does the guy have to lose by just trying it?

DO IT!!! Let us know how it worked... :p

Maestrosa

Known Member
12/2/07
Thanks DuDro!! I wanted to give you credit for the tutorial, but after I copied the info i closed the page. I am going to give it a try, I will post back once it is done.... or undone :)

Hopefully I will have some time this weekend.

edit: So I guess your insert is still attached :)

DuDro

3/8/06
amish said:
Thanks DuDro!! I wanted to give you credit for the tutorial, but after I copied the info i closed the page. I am going to give it a try, I will post back once it is done.... or undone :)

Hopefully I will have some time this weekend.

edit: So I guess your insert is still attached :)

I performed this mod a few months ago and the bezel is fine...No issues...I work out with it...I shower with it :wink:

Maestrosa

Known Member
12/2/07
LOL, at this point, still being new to it, I am afraid to wear it out in the cold...lol

Maestrosa

Known Member
12/2/07
Arghh!! I tried it and it did not work :-( I am sure it will, but I just could not get it to budge.

On a sad note, the pearl popped out..... ugh.

Maestrosa

Known Member
12/2/07
Oh and I lost the pearl.... but after awhile of searching I found it tucked into a corner of my desk on the floor...

Damn that thing is small!

Sperry

2/8/07
My SMP had the same issue and I tried to fix w/ dryer and it didn't work the first try, tried it again and it did! I heated it up and then I used the "screwball" case back opener from Otto Frei on the bezel insert since i couldn't get a grip on the insert using my fingers and the metal was pretty warm... rubber ball worked magic and now its perfectly aligned!!! :D