• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A unique AP diver

Kingquest_s

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
3/1/16
CONUS
I prefer the white strap will better than metal bracelet. I dont know how to explain. But AP looks best with rubber.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
And the final iteration - gen Bartorelli 15702ST dial, hands rose gold plated to gen specs (literally !) and finished off with gen strap

I like how this turned out. Reminiscent of the “Ghost” in diver form like I said so before, except that this looks somewhat more luxurious with rose gold hands and accents of rose gold in the dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure

CurioLeo

GPsy King
Gold Patron
Certified
22/8/18
Australia
I like how this turned out. Reminiscent of the “Ghost” in diver form like I said so before, except that this looks somewhat more luxurious with rose gold hands and accents of rose gold in the dial.

Mission accomplished - and as promised, it hasn't left my wrist :thumbsup:

Swiss_goupil

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
I was actually wondering how the watch will look with gold plots and gold in the metallic part of the crown

It will look awesome I reckon. Reminiscent of the Pride of Germany

CurioLeo

GPsy King
Gold Patron
Certified
22/8/18
Australia
It could be awesome bit since wouldn't want to gold plate plots - they move so the plating would wear off. Now, if someone had gold plots handy......

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
It could be awesome bit since wouldn't want to gold plate plots - they move so the plating would wear off. Now, if someone had gold plots handy......

Actually, I think that you should experiment changing up the look of the watch with gold plots, buckle and crown.
Your watch is awesome either way. Congrats once again C.

CurioLeo

GPsy King
Gold Patron
Certified
22/8/18
Australia
Actually, I think that you should experiment changing up the look of the watch with gold plots, buckle and crown.
Your watch is awesome either way. Congrats once again C.

Thanks A, and just as you suggest it.... up pops gen RG plots as well as aftermarket RG crowns on eBay to provide the temptation. Hmmmmm........As Oscar Wilde said "the only thing I cannot resist is temptation"

CurioLeo

GPsy King
Gold Patron
Certified
22/8/18
Australia
Yeah, I think this is definitely a case of "in for a penny, in for a pound"

Branis

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
28/5/17
I love these individual versions. This kind of customized watches stand in the tradition of watch making from its beginnings, where pocket watches would be build by orders from clergy, royalty or any other wealthy and powerful. Much later there was the race for the most complicated watch between Henry Graves and James W. Packart (like today's race for the biggest private yacht). "Fantasy" for reps is often associated with less respect and credibility, whereas it should be the ultimate individual expression of taste. But humans are insecure beings, in need of recognition and assurance by our companions - more or less consciously. Brands and their marketing give us a safety net of what is appropriate and easy to decode by our peers. So if there's someone who has the balls to come up with something outstanding, never seen before, expressing true own taste, like not giving a f... what others think, that's the one we admire - more or less consciously - that's the one who will change the status quo. To do so fantasy is our tool and courage is our fuel. Everyone who dares to makes extensive use of these "natural creative human talents" deserves to be celebrated!

CurioLeo

GPsy King
Gold Patron
Certified
22/8/18
Australia
I love these individual versions. This kind of customized watches stand in the tradition of watch making from its beginnings, where pocket watches would be build by orders from clergy, royalty or any other wealthy and powerful. Much later there was the race for the most complicated watch between Henry Graves and James W. Packart (like today's race for the biggest private yacht). "Fantasy" for reps is often associated with less respect and credibility, whereas it should be the ultimate individual expression of taste. But humans are insecure beings, in need of recognition and assurance by our companions - more or less consciously. Brands and their marketing give us a safety net of what is appropriate and easy to decode by our peers. So if there's someone who has the balls to come up with something outstanding, never seen before, expressing true own taste, like not giving a f... what others think, that's the one we admire - more or less consciously - that's the one who will change the status quo. To do so fantasy is our tool and courage is our fuel. Everyone who dares to makes extensive use of these "natural creative human talents" deserves to be celebrated!

Thank you and very well said - I can assure you that at least legend and I fully concur with your sentiments. It doesn't hurt that my everyday occupation is the full deployment of "natural creative human talents"

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Well articulated and superb analysis done with brevity.
I concur wholeheartedly. A Rolex submariner for example is recognized in the world of watch collectors. A customized sub with a motif dial for example will be a one off and it takes a special guy to pull it off confidently knowing that he will need to explain the watch to anyone who asks.
I agree with everything you said except for that last bit suggesting CurioLeo should be celebrated for creating this unique and wonderful diver. Afterall he is already reaping the fruits of his decision every moment it’s on his wrist. I will leave that decision to general consensus lol :legend:

CurioLeo

GPsy King
Gold Patron
Certified
22/8/18
Australia
Branis - fantasy reps more often than not are a compilation of mismatched and incongruent parts which distil the design intent and language and thereby end up being a parody - hence the lack of respect and credibility. Ironically, AP's motto is that you have to master the rules in order to break them which has been similar to my motto as an architect- "make the rules, break the rules". It does indeed take courage to rewrite the rules of design for an icon like a ROO diver but , hey, who gives a f**k ? Its my watch :D I get the feeling that I would make some great friends in real life with several RWI members ( legend I am definitely looking you up next time I am in town !)

Branis

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
28/5/17
Totally agree with your rationale for Fantasy watches.

Last edited:

CurioLeo

GPsy King
Gold Patron
Certified
22/8/18
Australia
BTW: where to get a fitting ceramic bezel? Is it the same size like for the 42mm Chronographs? I found this on ebay: https://www.ebay.de/itm/32459020605...rentrq:6ce49bbe1790a4d4ed31a4c7ffd629d5|iid:1 I want it on my JF 7.5 - you inspired me!

I got it on eBay as well but it was a lot more than that one. Prices go up to nearly 300 USD and this one was about $220 from memory. There are several for about half that which still look good - a ceramic bezel for 42mm should work.