• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A noob's dive into Royal Oak reps

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
The 4302 in the 15500 does have instant date change right?
Yes. To add on to the answer given, the date change in the 4302 is instant but precarious. It is advised that the hands always be set to 6:30 before quicksetting the date to avoid date change issues like half-changes or dates getting stuck when changing over.

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
Good job! Thanks for taking the effort to do this. This is the kind of stuff we love to see! :)

Reactions: legend

Nirado

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/7/18
Balkans
Anybody care to share some pics if your watches arrived? I'm looking at different 15500s now and trying to decide which factory to get. This is a nice pretty informative thread.

ExtraExtra

Il Valore del Tempo
21/3/07
Up where we belong
Long time lurker here who's recently decided to dive into the world of AP Royal Oak reps. I've spent countless hours through many weeks researching Royal Oaks on this forum and others, and thought to share some findings to help those who come after me.

Royal Oaks I've looked at:

- ROYAL OAK 15202. Measures 39mm x 8.1.mm . A classic, still in very high demand. Gen only manufactured with a blue dial nowadays. Good for smaller men's wrists. Perfect for a 6.5"-6.75” wrist.

- ROYAL OAK 15400. Measures 41mm x 9.8mm. Update of the 15202. Gen not manufactured any longer. Feels larger than it's size. Ideally for 7"+ wrists, though some could carry it with a 6.5" wrist (no smaller than that).

- ROYAL OAK 15450. Measures 37mm x 9.8mm.

- ROYAL OAK 15500. Measures 41mm x 10.4mm. Update of the 15400, and a better watch overall than the 15400 even though very similar in both dimensions and aesthetically. Feels larger than it's size. Ideally for 7"+ wrists, though some could carry it with a 6.5" wrist (no smaller than that).

- ROYAL OAL 33mm quartz. Great for women or men with small wrists or those who like thin watches, as it's very thin thanks to its quartz movement.

Sorry, only ROs, no ROOs.

For the sake of comparison, the dimensions of a a ceramic sub are 40mm x 12.5mm.

Observations:

- from what I gather ZF make the best 15202/15400/15500, while APSF may come as close second for the 15500.
- from what I gather JF makes the best 33mm quartz, while the 8F reps are not that great.
- the ZF 15500 (V2) is a superior watch than the ZF 15400, and the best rep of them all.
- for ZF, black and blue dials are generally closer to gen, while gray are the opposite.
- if in doubt, black dial and stainless steel (SS) for both bezel and bracelet usually the safer bet (as far as closer to gen comes).
- shortcut for researching AP watches on this forum: use search function to search for @legend's posts.
- the hour base of the ZF 15202 ideally requires modding.
- the rep 33mm quartz closest to gen is the JF SS/SS black.
- if going for a gold watch, know that gold can vary in color from gen to gen.
- ROs will be closer to gen than ROOs thanks to the absence of chronographs (less detail).

Some sources:

- 15500 vs 15202 comparison: https://monochrome-watches.com/audemars-piguet-royal-oak-15500-compared-to-jumbo-15202-review-price/
- video of the 33mm quartz on a man's wrist:
- gens: https://www.audemarspiguet.com/com/en/collections/royal-oak.html

I'll be getting a 15202, a 15500, and a 33mm quartz.

Hope that helps. Don't forget these are a noob's notes, don't take any of it as canon. Cheers.
Thanks Powerka. You definitely saved me time. I am getting 15500 :)

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Did you mean quick set date change? The gen is not a quick set date change? I thought it was.
There is no such thing as a “quick set date change”. It’s either a “quick set date” meaning you can change the date quickly by using the keyless to adjust it or an “instant date change” which means that the date flips instantly at the change of the day instead of gradually rolling over. So the member you quoted was correct in his rhetorical.

TheWolfofWealth

Looking Around
7/4/23
Zurich
What would you guys recommend for the first ever AP Rep? 15202 vs 15450? - (I have a smaller wrist 6.5 inches)

I actually do not care about the prices or the mods I need to do, I would like it to be as close to gen as possible ... I just heard Legend is the best for AP.

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
What would you guys recommend for the first ever AP Rep? 15202 vs 15450? - (I have a smaller wrist 6.5 inches)

I actually do not care about the prices or the mods I need to do, I would like it to be as close to gen as possible ... I just heard Legend is the best for AP.
ZF 15202. Legend is a modder not a manufacturer. So yes, he's the best AP modder.

Reactions: badalov909

NoTicking

Looking Around
23/3/23
Toronto
As a noob not only to Royal Oaks, but also reps in general, thanks so much for this! Because I'm so new, and I don't have a very large wrist, I'm looking at the 33mm quartz. (I read about automatics with movement issues, needing service etc. that I think it's more straightforward to go with a quartz for my first rep experience. Is this true, or are there also a lot of pitfalls with getting a quartz rep?)

Anyways, thanks for telling me the 8F 33mm quartz is worse than JF, that'll save me some research time! Two more questions
  1. Curious why you say the black dial is more close to gen. I'm more partial to the white dial myself. How different, or noticeable, is it compared to authentic? (I figured white is white, but you never know...)
  2. Are JF and JJF the same factory (different names), or completely different? Because I read some places say JF is the best (like in OP), other places say JJF. Confused
Many thanks for helping a beginner out!

Reactions: fashinpashin4872

eBoy

⏱️ RWI New Members Area Chief Janitor 🎪🛠️
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
- ROYAL OAK 15500. Measures 41mm x 10.4mm. Update of the 15400, and a better watch overall than the 15400 even though very similar in both dimensions and aesthetically. Feels larger than it's size. Ideally for 7"+ wrists, though some could carry it with a 6.5" wrist (no smaller than that).

This 6.3" wrist wholeheartedly disagrees. 😆

20230414-123715-2.jpg

15500 ZF V3

italym21

Known Member
21/3/19
italy
hi guys,

i want a 15500 black or white dial.. in 2023, which is a better factory of super clone?

thx