• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A modernized vintage Air King

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Part 1

So I've had this Raffles 114270 OG POFY DESN case for a while. @jmb has famously modded these with drilled lugs and a better bezel (V1), and then additionally slimming the height profile (V2). This was a leftover V1 he had lying around doing nothing.

zIJEPi.jpg

Originally I was going to make the usual vintage Explorer or maybe a Space Dweller but after looking at the dials I kind of lost interest since my case lacked the V2 mod. I like making different, even unique builds so I came up with this plan.

A modernized vintage Air King, yeah that's the ticket! Some things old, some things new! I decided on an all polished case and started working on smoothing up the case and bezel. I replaced the crystal and got the vintage Air King dial from Raffles. The hands came from Ali Express.

I wanted a green second hand like the modern Air King has but couldn't find anything suitable from aftermarket vendors. So I just painted one. It's not so hard, you just need to make sure the tape mask is stuck tight and use very light coats. Also get the hand up out of the paint bed immediately. You can just paint it while suspended but I find it easier to do it flat when masking is involved. No luming was necessary on this one.

I roughed up the hand a little with some 3000 grit to ready it for paint.

zIVD0Y.jpg

zIVj5D.jpg

Mask it off and really press the edges down

zIJdrv.jpg

zIJs4I.jpg

Tape it off and use really light coats

zIJGEF.jpg

zIJMy4.jpg

zIJNSb.jpg

After it’s even and smooth, pick it up right away

zIJ67J.jpg

zIJ9Lk.jpg

Next I figured I should get rid of the 2nd stem position since there's no date. You can buy the setting lever spring from an ETA 2801 (about $12), or just sand down one of the bumps on the regular one. Also the other calendar parts were removed.

zIJU8F.jpg

zIJmYE.jpg

zIJpmL.jpg

zIJBwS.jpg

I had a jubilee I wanted to use for this piece. The end link needed a little reshaping for a better fit.

zIJ0Ht.jpg

*Continued in next post

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Part 2

Also the end link springbar collars would only take a 1.8mm springbar. Those collars can be replaced with custom ones or even just cut and opened up a little. But I wanted to try a different approach this time. Crazy, I know. So I cut off some nice springbar tips, and used plastic dots as backers to hold an epoxy bed. It's good! I love drilled lugs and didn't want those beauties to go to waste.

zIJOis.jpg

zIJqc3.jpg

zIJQcQ.jpg

zIJr3P.jpg

zIJnro.jpg

zIJfep.jpg

zIJ4Hj.jpg

zIVztk.jpg

zIV3No.jpg

zIJySD.jpg

zIJco3.jpg

This is the difference it makes.

zIJb12.jpg

The 29mm dial had to be shaved a little, this case would only take a 28.5mm. I just shaved this one by hand like this other dial, it only takes a few minutes.

zIJJgn.jpg

zIJFt5.jpg

New dial feet had to be epoxied on and I always file down the dial spacer so the dial still sits flush.

zIJYCY.jpg

zIJi32.jpg

zIJown.jpg

*Continued in next post

Last edited:

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
Beautiful build as always! Great piece. Love the seconds hand

Reactions: KJ2020

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
It’s one thing to make such an amazing build, and another to document the entire process as you brilliantly do. Thank you once again KJ! This is really outstanding!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks a lot for all the nice comments guys! The Air King is such an interesting piece I wish Rolex would give it some more attention. Good brief article below about the model's history if interested. Who knew there was an Air Lion, or an Air King Date? Imagine finding one of those in an old estate sale!

Cheers

Last edited:

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
Very slick with gluing in the spring-bar nubs! Looks great and the green sweep hand really pops!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Very slick with gluing in the spring-bar nubs! Looks great and the green sweep hand really pops!
Thanks bro, I wanted something different and it's easy to get carried away and create an eyesore but this one is a current fave!

Appreciate your work on the case!

paul837

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/11/19
Lovely, I have an appreciation for tasteful fantasy builds and respect for people who share their methods and knowledge for others to benfit from.