• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A look at my new Frédérique Constant FC-220M4S36

Ibn_Hasaf

Renowned Member
26/6/11
I have been looking for a watch to replace my Citizen Automatic. I like the citizen; I was just looking for something smaller that will go a but better with a coat and tie.
attachment.php

The watch (Citizen NJ2166-55A) being preempted in my rotation by this one. Reviewed here.

As stated, I wanted something a bit smaller. I also wanted quartz; I normally take my "work" watch off on Friday and don't pick it back up until Monday morning.

I saw the FC-220M4S36 on discount at Gemnation and decided to give it a try.

- Brand

Frédérique Constant

- Model number

FC-220M4S36

- Official or unofficial Nickname (if any exists)

Unknown, the information page, here, seems to contradict itself.

- Overview

This watch has a Roman Numeral dial and a date window at 6. It is a very simple steel watch. You will see that it is marketed as a Women's watch, I will get to that in the strap section. Thee is a mother of peral ring behind the hour markers.

- movement information/review

FC-220

I ended up shipping it to my daughter because I live out of the country. She had it for about two months before delivering it to me and there were no timekeeping issues.

- Case review

Steel, shiny, snap on cover on the back

Measured by me--
Thickness 5.2cm
Diameter 37.2mm
Width with crown 39.5mm
Height (top of lug to bottom of lug) 41mm

- crystal review

Flat, non-reflective, sapphire

- bracelet/strap review (including clasp)

Ok, the strap it came with was ugly. in fact, when my daughter first saw it she assumed that the strap was a throw-away. Something that the dealer would change out before the customer ever left the shop. It really was that bad. It fit her; but, for her it was a complete turn off.

I ordered a strap from Crown and Buckle (a supporting vendor) before I ever even saw the watch. As such, in most of the pictures is is seen with a reasonably nice leather strap. The factory strap also had a buckle with the FC crest on it. I moved that to the C&B strap. The FC buckle is a bit lighter than the one that C&B shipped; but It seems good enough, has an attractive crest, and fits the C&B strap perfectly.

- closing opinions and recommendations

I have already mentioned the strap. I am not so sure about the mother of pearl inlay; it is not bold or obtrusive, I will have to decide if I like it. The watch is billed as a Ladies watch; however, both my wife a and 26 year-old daughter stated that it was too big for them to even consider wearing. With the strap change it looks like it may be suitable for me.

A man that does not like Roman Numerals may also want to consider the FC-245AS4S6, a similar watch that comes with a better strap and a second hand, and while it is the same size, is listed as a men's watch. I really do not know if I will bond to this watch.

attachment.php

The Watch

attachment.php

The back

attachment.php

on my daughter with the OEM strap

attachment.php

On me with a replacement strap

attachment.php

Side view

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Item number: FC-220M4S3
Brand Name: Frederique Constant
Style Number: FC-220M4S36-2
Series: Slim Line
Style (Gender): Ladies
Case Material: Stainless Steel
Case Shape: Round
Dial Color: Silver, guilloché, printed roman indexes
Movement: Swiss Quartz
Engine: Frederique Constant FC220
Number of Jewels: 8
Functions: Hours, Minutes, Date
Crystal Material: Sapphire - Anti-Reflective
Case Diameter: 37.0 mm
Case Thickness: 5.0 mm
Caseback: Stainless Steel Engraved
Bezel Material: Stainless Steel
Bezel Function: Fixed
Water Resistance: 30m / 100ft (unsuitable for prolonged contact with water e.g. swimming, bathing)
Crown Material: Stainless Steel onion-shaped
Calendar: Date at 6
Battery Life: 2-3 year battery life
Watch Bracelet / Strap Material: Brown satin strap
Watch Clasp Material: Stainless Steel Folding Buckle with Frederique Constant Logo

colinspell

Known Member
23/12/13
Beautiful, FC are really underrated and overshadowed!! Which vendor did you get this from?