• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

42.5mm PO does not measure 42.5mm

Mancman

Horology Curious
19/1/11
I recently received a 42.5mm PO from MR. Great service and very happy with the watch. At an advertised 42.5mm case size I was pleasantly surprised that it did not look too large on my small wrists.
I have just received an Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine Diver from MR (again, great service) and I was very surprised at how much larger this looked next to my PO. The UN is advertised at 43mm and a quick measure with my ruler confirms this. However, when I measure the PO I get a bezel diameter of 39mm and a case diameter of approximately 40mm. What is going on here?
I have searched the internet and seen a number of comments about the smaller than advertised size of the 42.5mm PO.
I am certain that the watch I received is not 'small' due to incorrect manufacture, so where does the measurement of 42.5mm come from?

ck6459

11/9/10
Hi mate welcome to RWI, I have a 42mm PO as well, i think the 42.5mm includes the crown, so if you measure the diameter from the crown, it should be around 42.5mm.
The UN you have maybe 43mm for the dial size, that is why a 42mm PO looks tiny beside a 43mm Tag Aquaracer 500M.

Pakz

Renowned Member
15/4/11
There's never been a 42.5mm PO, guys, just a 42mm and a 45.5mm.
The 42mm is accross the case, normally "excluding the crown", but all inclusive outside that.
With the bezel being smaller etc. and the different "levels" in the case, that definitely wears "smallish for its size".

countit

22/5/10
Some of the same questions... Anyone care to show a picture of how you are measuring to get 42mm?

TheExit148

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/1/11
I tried on a gen 42mm PO and man it was small! Compared to the 45 UPO I had on at the time, it was tiny. The band, the case, it was a lot smaller then I thought. I think we need to see how you're measuring it to confirm. I also have a 5th PO 42mm on order, and am curious to see how it matches in size to the gen. I have a feeling it will be the same.

ck6459

11/9/10
There's no way the PO measures 39mm. Mine is 42mm
The 39mm he measures is the diameter of the outer bezel which is the same as mine, the gen bezel is about 40mm as well.
42mm is the diameter of the watch, maybe slightly less, when I measure the diameter at crown, it is about 43mm, perhaps that is what he meant by 42.5mm.

If you see Kay

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/1/09
yes, bezel diameter is around that 39mm measurement, but you must measure the case to make reference to the watch diameter. Since the crown is inset into the case, the most appropriate measurement to take is just above the crown, say at the 13 minute mark and measure across to the 43minute mark. I am wearing mine now, but dont' have my digital caliper with me. Rough measurement with a scale comes out to 42mm.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
yes, bezel diameter is around that 39mm measurement, but you must measure the case to make reference to the watch diameter. Since the crown is inset into the case, the most appropriate measurement to take is just above the crown, say at the 13 minute mark and measure across to the 43minute mark. I am wearing mine now, but dont' have my digital caliper with me. Rough measurement with a scale comes out to 42mm.

+1 on using this method to measure a watch. :)

SwissOmega

19/5/10
+1 on using this method to measure a watch. :)

Roughly like this;
DSC07030.jpg

Don't have my PO on me today but I did for whatever reason have my caliper.

Mancman

Horology Curious
19/1/11
Thanks for all your replies to my original post. I have been trying to upload a photo I took showing the measurements of my 42mm (or 42.5mm!) PO. Unfortunately, no matter what I do to the file size it will not upload :-( However, I get the bezel size to be about 39mm. The case extension around the crown measures 40mm. If you include the crown (which I don't feel should be included), then you get about 42mm. I would just like to see our Trusted Dealers display more accurate measurements on their sites and, more importantly, say whether they are referring to the bezel size or the case size. Anyway, whatever issues I have with measurements, I think I've been bitten by the rep bug!

If you see Kay

26/1/09
are you measuring it the way how we recommend? Cuz the cas tapers and widens at certain points and you get different measurements depending where you measure it from.

I'll take a look with my digital calipes when i get home tonight. i am wearing my 4th gen Sead PO right now and there is no way I get 40mm even with a crude ruler measurement.

G30

I'm Pretty Popular
12/1/11
If you measure from the 8 to the 2, edge to edge, you should get 42mm. That is the standard. That is exactly the measurement I get with my PO. You should also note how the case actually extends to the right of watch, acting as a "crown guard" of sorts. For most watches the bezel sits relatively flush with the case, not so here. That 39mm bezel looks small for that reason. It just doesn't have the same surface area that other watches might have. That same extension to the PO case should also make up that additional 3mm and make the total measurement 42mm.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Thanks for all your replies to my original post. I have been trying to upload a photo I took showing the measurements of my 42mm (or 42.5mm!) PO. Unfortunately, no matter what I do to the file size it will not upload :-( However, I get the bezel size to be about 39mm. The case extension around the crown measures 40mm. If you include the crown (which I don't feel should be included), then you get about 42mm. I would just like to see our Trusted Dealers display more accurate measurements on their sites and, more importantly, say whether they are referring to the bezel size or the case size. Anyway, whatever issues I have with measurements, I think I've been bitten by the rep bug!

Please see the thread linked below my signature titled how to upload your pictures :)

If you see Kay

26/1/09
bezel diameter measurement: 40.04mm
case diameter from 13minute marker to 43minute marker: 42.35mm

Mancman

Horology Curious
19/1/11
Hopefully this link
sJUMs.jpg
should show the photo I took showing dimensions on my PO. The crown guard does not show well on the pic but it is there! I have also measured the case at the 13min to 43min marker and still get approx. 40mm or 40.5mm. In addition I also tried measuring with a calibrated steel ruler that I have and get identical results. I can't compete with digital calipers though! I also measured my Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine Diver with both rulers and get 43mm bezel diameter (as advertised) and a 44.5mm case diameter.

By the way, thanks for the link on how to upload images Bonesey!

G30

I'm Pretty Popular
12/1/11
Sorry for the "copyright infringement" Lay...

OMG11003_OMEGA_PLANET_OCEAN_42_4250SI2_ETA_2824_%283%29__90319_zoom.JPG

See that edge on the crown side? If you measure from 8'oclock to 2'oclock (not 9 to 3), including the case edge, you should be in the 42mm ballpark.

narikaa

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
15/3/06
Bez diam of 39mm ?

Have you been washing it on a hot programme over 60c ?

:)

IMG_2649.jpg

Oh and as anyone who has danced the Tango with a polio victim will tell you.......

Metal callipers scratch.

If you see Kay

26/1/09
Hopefully this link should show the photo I took showing dimensions on my PO. The crown guard does not show well on the pic but it is there! I have also measured the case at the 13min to 43min marker and still get approx. 40mm or 40.5mm. In addition I also tried measuring with a calibrated steel ruler that I have and get identical results. I can't compete with digital calipers though! I also measured my Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine Diver with both rulers and get 43mm bezel diameter (as advertised) and a 44.5mm case diameter.

I don't know what watch you got but I measured mine against the 4th gen Sead PO with a digital caliper three times and each time was within .01 mm depending on how tight I squeezed the caliper against the case.