• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

4130 issue. Stem all the way in stops movement.

dynastydoc

I like meteorite....
4/3/24
United States
You need to properly reset the keyless works, there's no way around that. There is a tutorial here on RWI but unfortunately the pictures seem to be not available any more. When the keyless reset is done the stem will click into position and stay there until you press the release again. You have most probably pressed the release too hard and fouled the keyless that way.

Wear and tear is not impossible, but a bit unlikely unless you use much force when manually winding it by habit. The threads have nothing to do with it, they are merely there to hold the crown.

Best of luck.
I saw that tutorial! but difficult to understand without pictures. would you happen to recommend any other source where I could learn to do this? I see in that thread that multiple people saved copies. I wonder if anyone has one available. I tried doing what was stated at the end of that thread which was use a paperclip to position the lever in the correct place but that didnt seem to solve the issue.

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
I saw that tutorial! but difficult to understand without pictures. would you happen to recommend any other source where I could learn to do this? I see in that thread that multiple people saved copies. I wonder if anyone has one available. I tried doing what was stated at the end of that thread which was use a paperclip to position the lever in the correct place but that didnt seem to solve the issue.

That's a delicate job, even harder without pictures especially if you have never done it before. I was trying to find another source quickly but without much success. Maybe if you Google some more, you'll get better results.

Found a service video on YouTube that could MAYBE be of some help. If you are unsure, better leave it to a watchmaker, before you brick it altogether.

dynastydoc

I like meteorite....
4/3/24
United States
I opened it up but really don’t know what I’m looking at. Any guidance would be helpful! I promise I won’t blame you if I screw it up! It feels like the stem does wind but I can’t seem to put it into time setting position and the stem doesn’t seem to lock in.

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
5/6/23
🇩🇪
I figured out that when I am unwinding, it’s actually just unwinding the stem from the crown.
Gordon Ramsay Facepalm GIF by Masterchef

You cannot unwind your watch by turning your crown and stem... The barrel, the abor and the ratchet wheel above them have a crown wheel and click spring etc to avoid unwinding and overwinding...

You really know nothing about watchmaking, what are you doing?

• Haha
Reactions: Karbon74

dynastydoc

I like meteorite....
4/3/24
United States
Gordon Ramsay Facepalm GIF by Masterchef

You cannot unwind your watch by turning your crown and stem... The barrel, the abor and the ratchet wheel above them have a crown wheel and click spring etc to avoid unwinding and overwinding...

You really know nothing about watchmaking, what are you doing?
sorry I mean when I turn it counter clockwise as if it were to unscrew from the case.

Karbon74

Pika Factory - Currently in hiatus
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
I opened it up but really don’t know what I’m looking at. Any guidance would be helpful! I promise I won’t blame you if I screw it up! It feels like the stem does wind but I can’t seem to put it into time setting position and the stem doesn’t seem to lock in.

I think the yoke has slipped from the sliding pinion.
And yeah, this movement is dried up and dirty as fuxx. I don’t know where you did your dial swap, but don’t do it there again 😅

Nothing you can fix yourself
This thing needs a full service.

Send this to a watchmaker, get it serviced and you will really enjoy the watch afterwards. Servicing a 4130 is worth it, the feeling will be next level.

Reactions: dynastydoc

JohnMB

Still New
14/8/24
Indonesia
I had exactly this happen the other day on an eta movement! It was driving me mad! It transpired that the dial wasn't quite locked in place and when I screwed the crown down it was causing the dial to to shift very slightly...Enough to cause the hole in the dial to push against the hour hand. Enough to stop the watch.