• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

4130 issue. Stem all the way in stops movement.

dynastydoc

I like meteorite....
4/3/24
United States
Hi all, I would appreciate any insights from the knowledgeable folks here. I attempted a dial swap today on an old noob Daytona. All seemed to go okay until I closed it up and realized the movement stops when the crown is closed. When it’s deployed into the first position(winding position) the watch moves fine. It also feels gritty when trying to wind it.

I would appreciate any insights or ideas. Hope I didn’t screw the pooch too bad.

Dohdoh

Renowned Member
30/10/13
Hi all, I would appreciate any insights from the knowledgeable folks here. I attempted a dial swap today on an old noob Daytona. All seemed to go okay until I closed it up and realized the movement stops when the crown is closed. When it’s deployed into the first position(winding position) the watch moves fine. It also feels gritty when trying to wind it.

I would appreciate any insights or ideas. Hope I didn’t screw the pooch too bad.
Old noob Daytona with a A7750 I assume? No expert on that movement but have you tried to re-insert the stem? I assume it's the same stem?

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Did it feel gritty before? Could be in need of a service, maybe dirt/dust got in while open.

Make sure that the movement sits nicely in the case and test its function before completely securing it with the movement holders. Just loosen the movement holder screws up a bit and gently test if there is any improvement when you slightly wiggle the stem/movement. Maybe there is some strain on the stem or it does not fully click into position (keyless issue) at the moment when the crown is screwed in.

dynastydoc

I like meteorite....
4/3/24
United States
Did it feel gritty before? Could be in need of a service, maybe dirt/dust got in while open.

Make sure that the movement sits nicely in the case and test its function before completely securing it with the movement holders. Just loosen the movement holder screws up a bit and gently test if there is any improvement when you slightly wiggle the stem/movement. Maybe there is some strain on the stem or it does not fully click into position (keyless issue) at the moment when the crown is screwed in.
It was not gritty before… I will try that. It does feel like maybe the stem is not perfectly seated. Thank you.

derjenigewelcher

Watch enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
First we should know about the movement.
If its a 4130 which where also used in Noob then it can be that you pulled out the stem while not in winding position? That would/could pull the keyless works apart.

Other problem could be (if you removed the crown also) that crown is t fittet totally on the stem now and its to long now.

All in one i think something is with the keyless works.

Reactions: Rx4Time and Reaps

dynastydoc

I like meteorite....
4/3/24
United States
First we should know about the movement.
If its a 4130 which where also used in Noob then it can be that you pulled out the stem while not in winding position? That would/could pull the keyless works apart.

Other problem could be (if you removed the crown also) that crown is t fittet totally on the stem now and its to long now.

All in one i think something is with the keyless works.
It's 4130. If it's keyless works how would I know and how do I fix it?

dynastydoc

I like meteorite....
4/3/24
United States
I think its about the keyless works. When it feels greedy never good, would not wind it anymore and bring it to a doc ornopen it up and check keyless
I appreciate your help. I reset the keyless but something is still wrong as it doesn't want to wind and stops still when crown is all the way in. I'm out of my depth here so I'll send it to a watchmaker.

Reactions: derjenigewelcher

Karbon74

Pika Factory - Currently in hiatus
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region

Pics?
Did you change the stem?

Karbon74

Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
i did not change the stem. i only changed the dial so didnt really open up the movement, so not sure what pics would be helpful

Wanted to see the length of the stem unscrewed.

I can see a few reasons.

If the stem has been damaged/worn, it will turn freely and not catch the winding wheel

If the crown does not turn or very stiffly, it can be the ratchet wheel or spring that is unseated or dry

It might also be the mainspring that is fouled.

Reactions: derjenigewelcher

dynastydoc

I like meteorite....
4/3/24
United States
i havent had a chance to take it all apart but definitely something feels wrong with the stem now like it is not winding and not stopping at the particular click. the stem just pulls completely out without pressing the release. i assume I will need to reset the keyless again but I think its something more than that. I've attached a pic of the stem, but I'm unsure that its the issue. It feels like its not catching in the movement.

Karbon74

Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
i havent had a chance to take it all apart but definitely something feels wrong with the stem now like it is not winding and not stopping at the particular click. the stem just pulls completely out without pressing the release. i assume I will need to reset the keyless again but I think its something more than that. I've attached a pic of the stem, but I'm unsure that its the issue. It feels like its not catching in the movement.
Square part looks worn. Explains no wind
Mid part. Explains no lock in

Hard to be sure with low res pic

New stem to be tested indeed

Reactions: Reaps

dynastydoc

I like meteorite....
4/3/24
United States
Square part looks worn. Explains no wind
Mid part. Explains no lock in

Hard to be sure with low res pic

New stem to be tested indeed
After looking at it under magnification, it looks like the threading on part of the stem is all screwed up. Thank you for helping, I will get a new stem and see how it goes!

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
You need to properly reset the keyless works, there's no way around that. There is a tutorial here on RWI but unfortunately the pictures seem to be not available any more. When the keyless reset is done the stem will click into position and stay there until you press the release again. You have most probably pressed the release too hard and fouled the keyless that way.

Wear and tear is not impossible, but a bit unlikely unless you use much force when manually winding it by habit. The threads have nothing to do with it, they are merely there to hold the crown.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Karbon74

Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
You need to properly reset the keyless works, there's no way around that. There is a tutorial here on RWI but unfortunately the pictures seem to be not available any more. When the keyless reset is done the stem will click into position and stay there until you press the release again. You have most probably pressed the release too hard and fouled the keyless that way.

Wear and tear is not impossible, but a bit unlikely unless you use much force when manually winding it by habit. The threads have nothing to do with it, they are merely there to hold the crown.

Best of luck.

You are right. I had assumed that the keyless was properly reset 😂

Reactions: Plaasbaas