• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

4130 Clone + Gen parts = swiss excellence or swiss cheese

rmxap310

Known Member
Certified
2/11/11
My objective is reliability, feel, looks ( in that order )

Too much or not enough? These parts add up quick!

A gen movement is hard to find and 10k now?

Parts list:

120​
Balance Bridge
880​
Hammer
834​
Jumper for counters
241​
Yoke Spring
301​
Click spring
110​
Train Bridge
815​
Clutch
865​
Clutch Jaw
145​
Automatic Device
360​
Second Wheel
820​
Chrono Wheel
190​
Chrono bridge
860​
Operating Lever
855​
Column Wheel
432​
Balance
204​
Angle Wheel
205​
Sliding Spool
305​
Ratchet Wheel
315​
Barrel with mainspring
856​
Column Wheel Jumper
861​
Operating Lever Spring
5855​
Screw column wheel
822​
Friction for Chronograph wheel
225​
Spring for setting lever
201​
Winding Stem
871​
Spring fly back

Last edited:

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
Obviously replacing all of the parts is a losing proposition.
Check out what freddy did here
Start with the balance and the reversing wheels and see how it goes.

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
Obviously replacing all of the parts is a losing proposition.
Check out what freddy did here
Start with the balance and the reversing wheels and see how it goes.

rmxap310

Known Member
Certified
2/11/11
yeah im trying to find the right balance

without going into the technical reasons, the rep parts are great for what they are but theres a reason the swiss movement has a 10 year service interval

my parts list adds up to 1/3 the cost of a complete gen movement

Last edited:

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
I installed a gen balance in one a few days ago and it runs like a dream. I have no intention to install more gen parts at this time, but you never know.

rmxap310

Known Member
Certified
2/11/11
Hopefully someone will find this useful

Reliability Stage 1 - 815 (Clutch) + 880 (Hammer) + 540 (Reverser Wheel) x 2

Reliability Stage 2 - 142 (Auto Device Module) includes rotor + reverser wheels x 2 + intermediate wheel + driving wheel

Reliability Stage 3 - 315 (Barrel + Spring) + 204 (Angle Wheel) + 205 (Sliding Pinion) + 305 (Ratchet Wheel) + 834 (Jumper for Counters) + 201 (Winding Stem)

Performance Stage 1 - 120 (Balance) big upgrade over rep part

Performance Stage 2 - 360 (Second Wheel) + 820 (Chrono Wheel) Updated LIGA gears with special teeth very cool

Performance Stage 3 - 335 (Center Wheel + Cannon Pinion) + 340 (Third Wheel) + 840 (Minute Counter) + 825 (Intermediate Chrono Wheel) + 850 (Hour Counter)

Shock/Jewel Upgrade - 110 (Train Bridge) + 120 (Balance Bridge) + 190 (Chrono Bridge)

Feel Upgrade - springs and levers

Last edited:

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
5/6/23
DE
Hopefully someone will find this useful

Reliability Stage 1 - 815 (Clutch) + 880 (Hammer) + 540 (Reverser Wheel) x 2

Reliability Stage 2 - 145 (Auto Device Module) includes rotor + reverser wheels x 2 + intermediate wheel + driving wheel

Reliability Stage 3 - 315 (Barrel + Spring) + 204 (Angle Wheel) + 205 (Sliding Pinion) + 305 (Ratchet Wheel) + 834 (Jumper for Counters) + 201 (Winding Stem)

Performance Stage 1 - 120 (Balance) big upgrade over rep part

Performance Stage 2 - 360 (Second Wheel) + 820 (Chrono Wheel) Updated LIGA gears with special teeth very cool

Performance Stage 3 - 335 (Center Wheel + Cannon Pinion) + 340 (Third Wheel) + 840 (Minute Counter) + 825 (Intermediate Chrono Wheel) + 850 (Hour Counter)

Shock/Jewel Upgrade - 110 (Train Bridge) + 120 (Balance Bridge) + 190 (Chrono Bridge)

Feel Upgrade - springs and levers
The reliability stage 2 full set should be 142. 145 is rotor only.

Reactions: rmxap310

Reaps

I'm Pretty Popular
25/9/22
I mean I'm not one to tell you how to spend your money, I'm sure it'll be a great franken but you can replace everything and itll still always be a rep, with that kind of money you can buy a new rep every 3 years and still spend less money in 10 years...

Plus reselling these super frankens are always a pain in the ass, they sit for a long long time...

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
5/6/23
DE
I mean I'm not one to tell you how to spend your money, I'm sure it'll be a great franken but you can replace everything and itll still always be a rep, with that kind of money you can buy a new rep every 3 years and still spend less money in 10 years...

Plus reselling these super frankens are always a pain in the ass, they sit for a long long time...
Your rationale sounds but for me, that specific franken Daytona will always be a watch that I spent time studying, tried hard to put together and the one and only one "My Daytona" which I franken it my way. It is not only a watch to wear, but also a pleasure time I spent making it piece by piece. And you know what? I don't plan on selling it.

Also, I don't know how much you are thinking about, but for me, my plan on frankening my Daytona involves something like 5-6k. maybe 8k tops. TBH this is only a little less than a quarter of a gen Daytona and not a such a big amount that I need to carefully calculate how much I'm gonna spend on my hobby for the next 10 years. So i think it is fine.

Reactions: Reaps

Reaps

I'm Pretty Popular
25/9/22
Your rationale sounds but for me, that specific franken Daytona will always be a watch that I spent time studying, tried hard to put together and the one and only one "My Daytona" which I franken it my way. It is not only a watch to wear, but also a pleasure time I spent making it piece by piece. And you know what? I don't plan on selling it.

Also, I don't know how much you are thinking about, but for me, my plan on frankening my Daytona involves something like 5-6k. maybe 8k tops. TBH this is only a little less than a quarter of a gen Daytona and not a such a big amount that I need to carefully calculate how much I'm gonna spend on my hobby for the next 10 years. So i think it is fine.
If I were you I would put money into the dial and crystal instead of the movement. But each to their own, good luck and post your build!

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
5/6/23
DE
If I were you I would put money into the dial and crystal instead of the movement. But each to their own, good luck and post your build!
Thank you! That will be my plan too but the dial is a bit pricey and difficult to get, so I am going to change the xtal, hands, crown and pushers.

Reactions: Reaps

rmxap310

Known Member
Certified
2/11/11
everyone has different priorities. i'm more of a movement snob

the clone movement
- chrono sweep is jittery
- the pushers have a hollow sound/actuation
- winding feels/sounds more like a toy
- swiss rotor is quiet and no vibration

I ended up swapping everything possible, even the screws. everything was swapped except the mainplate and 1 or 2 small parts.

the swiss movement parts total cost was $6695

Last edited:

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
5/6/23
DE

the clone movement

I ended up swapping everything possible, even the screws. everything was swapped except the mainplate and 1 or 2 small parts.

Thats amazing!

For 6k something to make progress like this, I can live with that :)

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
5/6/23
DE

the clone movement

Just out of curiosity, which parts do you use Swiss and which parts do you use gens?

wisedennis

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
11/11/22
CONUS USA

the clone movement

How’s the performance of this dream Swiss movement ? Would you have any timegrapher readouts?

Thanks!
Dennis