• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

2nd purhase with Hont a disappointment

mpg54

Known Member
29/8/09
I just received my 2nd purchase from Hont, a Rose Gold Rolex Datejust. Unfortunately the Crystal is not lined up correctly. :shocked: The Date Window is not aligned properly with the Date Number and Crown, it's off center. You can also notice this with the Rolex Symbol etching that this over the 6 symbol, it is off very noticeably. The crystal was not aligned properly, don't know how this was missed as I noticed it almost immediately when removing it from the package.

Also, the green sticker in the back was not put on correctly, it's alignment is also off significantly. Yes, it's just the back of Watch and no one see's it, but the lack of care when placing it is hard to forgive.

I know it's just a $100 watch, but I was expecting everything to be lined up correctly. This one's a real disappointment after having my 1st purchase with him work out so well.

This was purchased as present for my Dad, who has never had anything more the a Casio or Timex. I thought he'd get a kick out of a fake. This is too embarrassing to give him, his Timex would be nicer in quality then this.

I'm going to bring it to a Watch Repair shop down the Street. Does anyone have a better suggestion? :unsure: I don't like the thought of sending back to Hont. I'll post some pictures when I get home later tonight.
:(:(:(:(

Just added the picture of it in a post below. Thanks.

jy6221

7/7/09
Hmmm, if it was me i would send it back. i know it's a pain and means forking out more money for shipping. Though, it maybe cheaper that taking for repair.

Obvioulsy this depends on how much money you have right now, however, to make the return shiping more efficient, you could purchase another watch from him and ship it back within the same box. A dealer did this for me recently. I also got a better deal on the second purchase.

As you send, your first purchase from him was good!

aceman_1

Known Member
14/12/08
Send it back to him. My first purchase from him was an expensive rep ($300+) and I found that the chronograph didn't work. I forked over the $20 or so to get it shipped back via USPS and although it took me two months to get my replacement (this was during CNY so this kind of delay is standard) it was definitely worth it.

Ask him to take a picture of the replacement before he sends it. I'm waiting on a IWC Top Gun v1 from him currently - he sent me a picture of the one he was going to send and I found scratches/nicks on the case so I rejected it before he even sent it.

I think Hont is a good seller. The QC could be better, but considering the business I think he's near the top when it comes to making things right.

steve12345

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
4/9/06
I had a qc problem with him about a year ago and he was trying to say to me that I wore it and it was used (not true) . The 7750 had no power reserve. i only remembered this as I was cleaning up my emails and saved the whole email back and forth to him. Ultimately he refunded the purchase and I sent the watch to a guy in the USA to fix and then he resold it as used. Since then I only deal with SEAD in the USA. he does QC and sends a pic to you before shipping . He also winds the watch and sets the time and checks back a day latter to see if the time is correct. i find a trend with most dealers is that they are quick to get back to you on pending new order but if there is a problem they blow you off and their fluent English becomes broken Chinese .

steve

mpg54

Known Member
29/8/09
Here's the picture. This is even more noticeable in if your actually holding it.

3986188722_b848b0b1ea_o.jpg

suzook

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/9/09
Wouldnt you be better off having the crystal reseated localy? Probably $20, and your done with it.

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
Yeah, that looks to me like a pretty big flaw. Definitely big enough to see without a loupe! I can accept trivial flaws but I'd send that one back.

Hambone

Banned
24/11/06
Sorry, it is my firm belief that if you are going to play this game and expect a perfect watch for a hundred bucks, you are never going to be satisfied. There are several grades of rep manufacturing quality and you get what you pay for. A decent rep is at minimum 150.00 plus. There is quality craftsmanship in this game, but not for 100 dollars.

mpg54

Known Member
29/8/09
Hambone,
I understand it's $100 Watch, but simple symmetrical alignment is really a minimal expectation for me. This is not about craftsmanship, it's simple QA I think.

Suzook, I'm going to try your suggestion, but intend to let Hont know also.

Exploder

I'm Pretty Popular
23/3/08
I would say that is not acceptable, and I agree with the above. Try to find a local watchsmith to re-seat the crystal (pretty easy job), but tell Hont what you are doing so that he can give you a discount of the amount on your next purchase. Hopefully D4Me can chime in - he is the "Hont expert"

About the green sticker: Everybody takes the off anyway, be it rep or gen!

Hont is otherwise very good to do business with and usually one of the best when it comes to quality control. Sad that he let this one slip through, even though it's a cheapy.

Cheers, Xplodr

steve12345

Banned
4/9/06
This watch should never have been shipped and the problem was not caused in shipping. It was poor QC at the factory. Many Dealers say the watches are hand inpected. yes they are by the facotry worker who could not care less. You want THE DEALER to check the watch out.

Steve

Exploder

I'm Pretty Popular
23/3/08
This watch should never have been shipped and the problem was not caused in shipping. It was poor QC at the factory. Many Dealers say the watches are hand inpected. yes they are by the facotry worker who could not care less. You want THE DEALER to check the watch out.

As far as I understand Hont does not dropship. He probably ships a lot of watches out so I understand that once in a while something like this slips through. Still not acceptable for the individual buyer though. If you ask for it Hont takes a photo of the actual watch he is shipping you before sending it off. Or at least he did. Haven't bought anything from him for a year or so.

Cheers, Xplodr

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
Yes, disappointing. And yes it's only 100 bucks... But since when is 100 bucks peanuts? It's still good money, and you'd expect something so basic to be done properly or noticed before shipping. But shit happens.

Look, this is such an easy thing to fix. Don't send it back just for that. If I were in the US I'd align the crystal for you for free. But I'm in the UK. Hopefully someone else based in the US will notice this thread and offer to do it for you. There are a lot of nice folks around here. The problem with local watchmakers is that many of them don't want to touch reps...

fitz146

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/5/09
100 dollar watch

Hi,i would expect much better for 100 dollars.i have bought watches for much less and i know that they are not totally accurate but everything is in the right place. that watch looks like what i was offered for 25 dollars on the street in Spain.i would send it back and you should be compensated for the postage.if the dealer was made responsible for the return postage the QC might improve.

3035Dream

Known Member
4/9/09
Crystal

Have you thought of getting a $14 crystal off ebay and replace it yourself? Then you don't have to worry about the cornet at 6 either. Your date magnification would be the only thing to worry about lining up. What if you did get the crystal moved back to correct location for date magnification would the 6 o'clock cornet aligned properly as well? What I'm saying is I've seen the date windows match up perfectly and the cornet still be off a hair.

Another thought.... Maybe a case back opener (ball or rubber handle) would maybe move the crystal enough that you wouldn't have to take it out or send it back.

I would send it back before going to a watch smith. Just my two cents.

drfcfighter

I'm Pretty Popular
19/11/06
send it back, and get a refund, and use that money to get a Seiko. It would be a nice upgrade from Casio.

Or, spend another $200 and get a real high quality rep.

Otherwise, it will just repeat over and over again.

Or, spend that same $300 and get a Movado from Overstock.com for your dad. I'm sure he'll be more than happy with it. For most people, that's a significant upgrade from a Casio. He'll feel like a million bucks.

Remember, we are the only goofs who sweat over the details over haute horologie replicas.

mpg54

Known Member
29/8/09
I have a watch repair guy re-seating it now.

Fakemaster, why do you say that? Seems it would. Am I missing something?

I'll post a picture when I get it back.
Thanks.