• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

2836 issue (keyless)

ugalord

Metalcore Addict
Patron
Certified
29/6/20
Europe
Hi guys, my brain is dead now and i cant find a solution so im trying my luck here.
I got an non working omega from a friend to fix. It wont wind and basically wont work.
As i stripped down the movement i fount an open mainspring barrel and A LOT of oil in the movement. i cleaned everything up and assembled the whole movement and wanted to try it out.
It turned out that the joke wont push the sliding pinion to the winding pinion and if it does, it winds a few turns and jumps away again.
I tried another working keyless, i tried another sliding and winding pinion (all from a working spare 2824) and a new blistered stem. but nothing really helps. all other funktions (date and time) working like a charm. also the movement runs great again after a new mainspring plus barrel and a full cleaning and oiling.

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Make sure the sliding pinion is oriented correctly. It’s easy to install backwards if you’re not paying attention.
Is the balance stop in correctly?
Is the yoke jumping out of the pinion?

Reactions: Plaasbaas

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Make sure the sliding pinion is oriented correctly. It’s easy to install backwards if you’re not paying attention.

Very good advice from an expert here. Some time ago had a similar issue and turned out that I in fact had put in the sliding pinion backwards.

On another occasion I found out merely by accident, that part of the stem was worn to a degree that it had not enough grip. Had not noticed that with my bare eyes. I put in a new stem and it worked like a charm.

ugalord

Metalcore Addict
Patron
Certified
29/6/20
Europe

thanks for your answer :)

sliding pinion is correct, balance stop too.
no, the joke just wont move "far enough" i guess. it moves when setting date and time but it doesnt move all the way back. if i move him the last bit with my tweezers i can wind. its jsut a tiny bit

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
thanks for your answer :)

sliding pinion is correct, balance stop too.
no, the joke just wont move "far enough" i guess. it moves when setting date and time but it doesnt move all the way back. if i move him the last bit with my tweezers i can wind. its jsut a tiny bit

Do you have pictures?

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
Is the whip spring on the set jumper properly engaged with the tail of the yoke?

Last edited:
Reactions: Plaasbaas

ugalord

Metalcore Addict
Patron
Certified
29/6/20
Europe
Is the whip spring on the set jumper properly engaged with the tail of the yoke?

Yes, everything as it should be. Like I said I tried a new stem, all parts of the keyless of another movement and numerous times of resetting everything.
Could this be an oiling issue? I followed the guide of mark on YouTube and used a microscope to get the proper amount. If I thought it was too much I wiped it with rodico. But I'm pretty sure it looked similar to the video.
Maybe both keyless works are trash but one was working fine when I disassembled it. Strange....

this was before cleanig.

thats how i found the mainspring.

could be a general issue with the movement maybe xD

ugalord

Metalcore Addict
Patron
Certified
29/6/20
Europe
ISSUE FIXED

I had to bend the spring of the setting lever so there is more tension to the joke - strange that both didnt work. If you try this be careful, this spring breaks very easily - the first one is garbage now xD
And i had to find the tightness sweetspot of the setting lever screw. Works perfectly now :)

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
ISSUE FIXED

I had to bend the spring of the setting lever so there is more tension to the joke - strange that both didnt work. If you try this be careful, this spring breaks very easily - the first one is garbage now xD
And i had to find the tightness sweetspot of the setting lever screw. Works perfectly now :)

From the pic, it looks like the yoke pivot post is worn, probably why it needed extra tension

ugalord

Metalcore Addict
Patron
Certified
29/6/20
Europe
From the pic, it looks like the yoke pivot post is worn, probably why it needed extra tension

I guess so xD the movement itself was worn and not treated well in previous revisions i think.