• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

2836-2 vs 3186 Version

dsevo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/7/10
Hi guys. I've been lurking for a long time, but now I am ready to join the conversation. I am trying to find the right GMT II, but am having trouble deciding between the "Ultimate" version with the 2836-2 and the "Ultimate Best" version with the 3186 clone. I have searched and can't find any hard info on which movement is better and more reliable. I don't care at all about the movement trying to look real, but it seems that the watch with the 3186 has a more correct ceramic bezel, and better stainless steel, which does matter to me. I also know the hand stack is wrong on that movement. If in fact the 2836-2 movement is better, is it possible to get that movement in the newer "ultimate best" watch, or is that not how it works? I'm just trying to find the best GMT II that I can, and purchases in the replica world are confusing. Thanks for your help.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Better stainless steel?
I think you've been reading dealer advertising hype.
The 31XX movements are just a decorated 2836. They will fool no one - especially anyone who knows enough to actually open the case back and look - and the attempt to make it look like a Rolex movement has arguably made it less reliable and more prone to problems.
Ceramic bezel differences are often more a difference in photography than actual materials.

dsevo

6/7/10
That's exactly the info I was looking for. Like I said, the clone movement means nothing to me, I just want reliability. As for the SS, I just noticed that the new version has 316F, and the previous version has 316L. I assumed that the 316F was better, but haven't researched it. So it sounds like the only difference is the ceramic bezel, which the above poster says is not really much of a difference. That is leading me to believe the previous version with the 2836-2 is a better buy.

I also noticed TT sells a version with the correct hand stack and the 2836-2. Is that the same noobfactory "ultimate" version with a different hand stack, or is it something else? Thanks again.

bigdeal

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/10
I don't know the answer to your question, but welcome...

JamDot

I'm Pretty Popular
22/6/11
Look up a guy named Wiz, I think he builds GMTs. I just bought an amazing one form him. Otherwise, I heard Marvellous has a good GMT.
GL

dsevo

6/7/10
Thanks for the help guys, this is great info. I'll look up wiz and check his stuff out. Right now it looks like the 2836-2 version with the incorrect hand stack is the one I'm looking for.

Other than Wiz, is there anyone that builds high quality GMT's like BKLM does with Subs. I'm willing to spend $500 plus if there is a noticeable improvement in quality and accuracy.

dsevo

6/7/10
I just looked up Wiz, and his work looks great. I'll be sure to post pics if I'm able to buy something from him.

Matheusair

Looking Around
1/7/11
It is easy see the difference between asian 2836 and a swiss 2836? and about the quality the asian 2836 is a bad movement, i've looked in the forum but I did not found a clear reply about this.
thanks

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
According to the guy I buy my parts from there are three different "grades" of the clone 236 and 2824 movements. I always buy the top level and I can't tell the difference without tearing them down...

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
The clone 28XX movements are arguably as good as the lower-tier gen movements, and probably better than the "gen" ETA movement you are likely to get in a rep.

D

d4m.test

The clone 28XX movements are arguably as good as the lower-tier gen movements, and probably better than the "gen" ETA movement you are likely to get in a rep.

I think this is the answer you are looking for! The clones are cheaper and can be serviced with genuine ETA parts. If you choose for a "Swiss" or "ETA" movement in your rep, you run the chance of getting either - the clone anyway, a reconditioned and old ETA movement with clone parts. There is too much to loose, so when I buy a rep I always go for the clone as it saves me money, and is most likely going to be better than the apparent genuine Swiss movement.

Do you really think rep watch makers are using brand new Swiss or ETA movements in questionable locations making something which is illegal in China?

mbjoer

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/09
The issue is whith the GMT gearing and that goes for both movements.

Some do not get the GMT had to move properly. I have just sent mine back to the dealer for that reason.

The recommendation I have received (too late) is to go with the 21J as the sweep on that is pretty good.

But if you persist with a high beat movement, make sure that the dealer runs the watch for 24 hours before shipping to inspect if the GMT hand moves as it should.

D

d4m.test

I did exactly that with my GMT with MR. He agreed to monitor the watch and informed me of no problems. He even managed to get the +/- seconds to 5 from 8! I was very impressed with this.

MR had no problems keeping an eye on the watch for me and his service was exceptional :)

dsevo

6/7/10
I think this is the answer you are looking for! The clones are cheaper and can be serviced with genuine ETA parts. If you choose for a "Swiss" or "ETA" movement in your rep, you run the chance of getting either - the clone anyway, a reconditioned and old ETA movement with clone parts. There is too much to loose, so when I buy a rep I always go for the clone as it saves me money, and is most likely going to be better than the apparent genuine Swiss movement.

Do you really think rep watch makers are using brand new Swiss or ETA movements in questionable locations making something which is illegal in China?

So what you're saying is the "Asian Clone 2836-2" is the best choice for this watch? Just to confirm, that is the second one down on the movement selection list on this website: http://www.timeshops.net/product.php?id_product=8189

Sorry if it is obvious, I just want to make sure I am getting the right watch.

dsevo

6/7/10
One more question. When I spoke with Wiz about having him work on a GMT once I get it, he said "The only Rolex GMTs I work on are the ones with modified movement (with longer cannon pinion, second wheel axis and hours wheel), like the ultimate version. With the other ones, the result of the re-assembly is just too unpredictable." Does the Asian clone 2836-2 movement meet these criteria, or the swiss ETA 2836-2 the only one that does? Thanks again, I think this is a very helpful thread for potential GMT buyers.

D

d4m.test

Yes, I am saying that the Asian Clone 2836-2 is the best choice. :)
Just so you know, there is a promotion on this watch for RWI members. And MR is offering this watch for $178. :) It's exactly the same and I personally recommend MR.

In regard to Wiz, well I don't understand but he might be suggesting he only works on the Asian 3135 Rolex "Clone" I would ask him would he work on the Asian ETA clone. I would be surprised if he wouldn't! And if he said no the Clone then he would say no the "Swiss" version too. But just so you know, as this watch ($178 from MR, and less from TS Promotion) is quite cheap it may just work out better if it ever did break to just get another rep. Chances are you'll want a different one!

"Like the ultimate version" That could be either the ETA-Clone or the Rolex-Clone version. Just so you know, the Rolex clone version is a ETA clone, that is decoreated to look like the Rolex movement. But no one will be fooled.

sneed12?

I'm Pretty Popular
13/2/11
One more question. When I spoke with Wiz about having him work on a GMT once I get it, he said "The only Rolex GMTs I work on are the ones with modified movement (with longer cannon pinion, second wheel axis and hours wheel), like the ultimate version. With the other ones, the result of the re-assembly is just too unpredictable." Does the Asian clone 2836-2 movement meet these criteria,

Yes.

Or more accurately, it has nothing to do with clone or Swiss.

Any GMT IIc with jumping GMT hand will fit the bill.

dsevo

6/7/10
Where can the TS GMT promotion be found? I've looked all over this forum and haven't found any mention of it.