• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

2824 Seconds hand ticking, Hour/minute hands stopped?

Cooper627

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/11/22
Ohio, USA
So title, I had to open up a JKF 1680 with a 2824 inside the other day and reset the keyless as the stem wouldn't go in, this required removal/reinstall of a datewheel disc, now I'm noticing my hour and minute hands stop at weird times while the seconds hand keeps turning, i can only realistically assume this is because of the DW change mechanism engaging, this has happened 2 days in a row, 1st time at 9:45 and today at 8:02 so I'm second guessing myself now.

Any thoughts on this or similar threads with solutions? I couldn't seem to find any

Thanks!

316lad

Renowned Member
8/8/23
UK
So title, I had to open up a JKF 1680 with a 2824 inside the other day and reset the keyless as the stem wouldn't go in, this required removal/reinstall of a datewheel disc, now I'm noticing my hour and minute hands stop at weird times while the seconds hand keeps turning, i can only realistically assume this is because of the DW change mechanism engaging, this has happened 2 days in a row, 1st time at 9:45 and today at 8:02 so I'm second guessing myself now.

Any thoughts on this or similar threads with solutions? I couldn't seem to find any

Thanks!
Difficult to say - your work on the Keyless wouldn't do anything to stall only Hour/ Minute.
Did you reinstall the Dial Washer on to the Hour Wheel? I know it's only a flimsy thing but it's important to maintain pressure. With that missing or with you upsetting the Hour Wheel and or Minute Wheel - that would be enough to stall those hands but leave the Second Hand ticking as you haven't stalled the whole Train.
I would suggest taking the dial off again and just taking some time to make sure those Wheels are meshed comfortably and the dial is sitting down nicely atop the movement.

Reactions: Cooper627

Cooper627

29/11/22
Ohio, USA
Difficult to say - your work on the Keyless wouldn't do anything to stall only Hour/ Minute.
Did you reinstall the Dial Washer on to the Hour Wheel? I know it's only a flimsy thing but it's important to maintain pressure. With that missing or with you upsetting the Hour Wheel and or Minute Wheel - that would be enough to stall those hands but leave the Second Hand ticking as you haven't stalled the whole Train.
I would suggest taking the dial off again and just taking some time to make sure those Wheels are meshed comfortably and the dial is sitting down nicely atop the movement.
thanks for the reply! Funnily enough I don't think it had one actually! i have put it back together as of now and am going to let it run today, see if it stops again tonight and go from there.

At least now I have a potential lead if it goes bad!

Will Update later...

Reactions: 316lad

316lad

Renowned Member
8/8/23
UK
thanks for the reply! Funnily enough I don't think it had one actually! i have put it back together as of now and am going to let it run today, see if it stops again tonight and go from there.

At least now I have a potential lead if it goes bad!

Will Update later...
For the 2824 and it's finicky Hour wheel it definitely needs one on there!
They're easily lost and you don't notice they're not there.
If it goes back together and runs fine on all three hands it's only a matter of time (excuse the pun) before they stop again.

To test; if it stops try tapping the watch on top to see if the Hour/ Minute hands move again then you'll know for certain as you'll be tapping the wheels back down into their place.

Cooper627

29/11/22
Ohio, USA
For the 2824 and it's finicky Hour wheel it definitely needs one on there!
They're easily lost and you don't notice they're not there.
If it goes back together and runs fine on all three hands it's only a matter of time (excuse the pun) before they stop again.

To test; if it stops try tapping the watch on top to see if the Hour/ Minute hands move again then you'll know for certain as you'll be tapping the wheels back down into their place.
gotcha! Will test later today if this is the case, do you know by chance what size/specific dial washer is required? Not too versed in movements, at least in the case of the 2824. 😣

316lad

Renowned Member
8/8/23
UK
gotcha! Will test later today if this is the case, do you know by chance what size/specific dial washer is required? Not too versed in movements, at least in the case of the 2824. 😣
About the size in the pic - note comparison to the diameter of the Hour Wheel.

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
I had an issue like this on a build.

I was advised that it might be the cannon pinion that got loose. Or indeed the hour wheel not set properly.

I tightened the cannon pinion with a robust pair of hair tweezers 😅
then cleaned and reoiled the wheels and full keyless works. Plus added that washer that I had lost somehow (cheap and easy to source)

watch works perfectly now

Cooper627

29/11/22
Ohio, USA
I had an issue like this on a build.

I was advised that it might be the cannon pinion that got loose. Or indeed the hour wheel not set properly.

I tightened the cannon pinion with a robust pair of hair tweezers 😅
then cleaned and reoiled the wheels and full keyless works. Plus added that washer that I had lost somehow (cheap and easy to source)

watch works perfectly now
may I ask exactly how you did the cannon pinion manuever? I think thats what it is, movement keeps stopping a tad after 8pm, also need to source the washers it seems or shim it with something.

Zeta7

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
9/11/23
Where do you guys get parts from?

316lad

Renowned Member
8/8/23
UK
Where do you guys get parts from?
Depending where you are. UK and EU Cousins for pretty much everything. Loads of ETA spares these days after the unpleasantness of the last few years.

316lad

Renowned Member
8/8/23
UK
may I ask exactly how you did the cannon pinion manuever? I think thats what it is, movement keeps stopping a tad after 8pm, also need to source the washers it seems or shim it with something.
If it's stopping at the same time - 8PM AND ONLY 8 PM (and not 8 am as well) then it's not the canon pinion and it's not a Hand-Binding issue. You need to have that movemnt out and inspect the wheels for debris/ fluff/ etc. It could also be a date works issue.
Sorry, it's not straightforward with a problem like that.