• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

218239 Legit check

dodact

Слава Украине!
Supporter
Patron
Certified
12/4/24
CT
Hey folks, got this case here stamped ref 218239. Has a serial which matches 2007-2008.

Don’t have a crown or any other parts for it.
Crystal has a Rolex logo at the bottom.
Has a serial engraved in Rehaut but also between lugs (which I thought it was one or the other)

Please help me judge as I’m at a loss.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Patron
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Can you get some better pictures of the hallmarks by the lugs? They look pretty nondescript in a picture above. They should be pretty clear. You can Google what the hallmarks should look like for that model. The concern I have is the laser etched crown and the crystal, while it should be there, it should not be that readily visible. Some background on this piece would be helpful. I'll let others chime in as I am admittedly not an expert, but what I'm seeing I'm not confident in.

Edit I see someone who is more familiar has posted above while I was typing

Reactions: dodact

dodact

Слава Украине!
Supporter
Patron
Certified
12/4/24
CT
Can you get some better pictures of the hallmarks by the lugs? They look pretty nondescript in a picture above. They should be pretty clear. You can Google what the hallmarks should look like for that model. The concern I have is the laser etched crown and the crystal, while it should be there, it should not be that readily visible. Some background on this piece would be helpful. I'll let others chime in as I am admittedly not an expert, but what I'm seeing I'm not confident in.

Edit I see someone who is more familiar has posted above while I was typing

Here are some more photos. Only one of the Rolex hallmarks are clear and the stamped “750” is clear.

Tried my best to get a shot of the laser etched crown in the crystal.

This was a “shot in the dark” purchase off of eBay for $200. The seller did not claim whether or not it was genuine and simply that he got it from a lot sale. I figured for the price, I’d either luck out or strike out.

dodact

Слава Украине!
Supporter
Patron
Certified
12/4/24
CT
It’s a rep, and a very bad one

Would love a bit more feedback, not that I don’t trust your opinion but would love to know for myself what to look out for.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Patron
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Yeah you struck out. Just Google the hallmarks for the genuine daydate and you'll see how poorly those are done versus a genuine

dodact

Слава Украине!
Supporter
Patron
Certified
12/4/24
CT
Yeah you struck out. Just Google the hallmarks for the genuine daydate and you'll see how poorly those are done versus a genuine
Looks like there are a lot of inconsistencies between day dates. But I do see your point. Do you think it is worth removing the bezel and checking for Rolex stamp?

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
No, it’s not. The caseback is wrong, the serial is completely off, the tube is rep, the bezel is bad. Nothing is even cose to how a genuine day date should look like

dodact

Слава Украине!
Supporter
Patron
Certified
12/4/24
CT
No, it’s not. The caseback is wrong, the serial is completely off, the tube is rep, the bezel is bad. Nothing is even cose to how a genuine day date should look like
Got it! Regarding the tube, it should have splines correct?

Appreciate all of your deep depths of knowledge and help. Into the junk drawer it goes!

asusundevils1971

Your Parents Warned You To Stay Away From Me.
Supporter
23/2/23
Canada
Surprise no one above mentioned the elephant in the room about the case obviously being made of stainless and not white gold. The other stuff didn't even need to be mentioned.

dodact

Слава Украине!
Supporter
Patron
Certified
12/4/24
CT
Surprise no one above mentioned the elephant in the room about the case obviously being made of stainless and not white gold. The other stuff didn't even need to be mentioned.
Okay so this is going to sound crazy and i will totally take the brunt of the blow for it… but how the heck can I tell visually if something is made from SS or white gold? Been looking at pictures of the 218239 on chrono and other sites trying to understand the differences between the abomination on my desk and the real thing - the finish looks the same to me.

asusundevils1971

Your Parents Warned You To Stay Away From Me.
Supporter
23/2/23
Canada
White gold (lighter color) then stainless has a totally different look to them and you will learn to spot the difference. Even white gold plated watches do not look the same as solid 18K. When white gold ages it gets a nice patina hue that separates itself from the aged stainless.

You mentioned that the serial is from 07 - 08 and if 18K white gold it would have an aged look and the color and weight of your case is a lot lighter then solid gold. If you have held a DD before you would notice that the case you have isn't close to the finish that Rolex uses.

dodact

Слава Украине!
Supporter
Patron
Certified
12/4/24
CT
White gold (lighter color) then stainless has a totally different look to them and you will learn to spot the difference. Even white gold plated watches do not look the same as solid 18K. When white gold ages it gets a nice patina hue that separates itself from the aged stainless.

You mentioned that the serial is from 07 - 08 and if 18K white gold it would have an aged look and the color and weight of your case is a lot lighter then solid gold. If you have held a DD before you would notice that the case you have isn't close to the finish that Rolex uses.
This is super helpful. I’m going to see if any of my local AD’s have any 18k DD’s so I can really see/feel the difference.

Your last point definitely makes sense to me as well, 2008 is a while ago and this watch should certainly reflect that if original. The only full gen Rolex I have ever handled was a 5 digit at a local AD. Closest otherwise is my franken DJ with gen case.

Def need to step up my game and hawk eyes before trigger-happy purchases on eBay again. Thanks again @asusundevils1971 and everyone else who chimed in!

Reactions: asusundevils1971