• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

2 bad movements in 1 day! - Bad day at the mailbox

bignasty

16/3/06
Ziggy, RBJ, or anyone else that knows!

I received two sub reps today, both same Asian 21J movement.

First 21J movement problem:
Wanted to know if you could tell me why the Quickset Date would stop working? When I opened up the first watch and went to set it and check functionality the date set worked, then just quit? It winds OK and it sets time OK, you can even set the date by rolling the hours ahead (the slow way). Quickset just does not work, pain in the arse.

Any thoughts? Is the movement junk? Do I need to spend $125 to repair a $120 watch?

Then the second 21j movement problem:
Date set works, time set works, winding works but the watch stops randomly. I've removed the movement. And reinstalled following your techniques to make sure their isn't stress on the crown mechanism. Still same problem. I've had another Asian 21J does this to me before and the dealer swapped.

So I recieved two watches today, both are DOA. I'm gonna have to stop buying these CN movements, at least the automatics. I'm not going to reveal the dealer as I would like to give a chance to make this right. So far in my previous purchases he has done me right, hopefully this time he will again.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jon

BlueFin

15/3/06
I have seen this DOA problem in three of my asian rep (hope they are happy in thier home, i gave them away). All problem led to the plastic movement retainer binding with the movement. Reseat and see if this is causing the problem. It did fix the problem on mine.

cwai02

Renowned Member
16/3/06
Try what Bluefin said about the plastic seat.

If it doesn't work, I guess it is better to trash it.

bignasty

16/3/06
I've already reseated the movement, several times :( Didn't work. The ring in this watch is metal not plastic. I even reinserted the crown, screwed down so it wouldn't bind, then screwed in the holding screws.

Still no luck :cry:

Oh well. We'll see what happens.

Jon

DrmMaster

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
2/1/06
Dont trash em...Pm me...ill make an offer!.. :D

10acErnie

Known Member
6/4/06
Let me know if you find a fix for the date problem. I have a Rolex Sub I'm sending back in the morning. It sounds like my watch has the same issue......I would really hate to be without it for a couple of weeks if I can fix it myself.

bignasty

16/3/06
Good News, I worked it out with the dealer and will be upgrading to Swiss Movement! No more problems.

:D

swiss728

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/3/06
I was going to say, why mess around with a 21J Asain when you can buy an ETA 25 jewel movement in the same watch?