• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

1680 RED JKF by Marvellous

wolfg13

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/5/19
A few days ago, I have placed another order from M for a vintage submariner.
Hope to receive soon QC pics, I will let you know once we will proceed.
Regards

wolfg13

22/5/19
Hi! Yes I received the watch, I have been really busy in the last few month so I haven't updated.
Here are some pics, for the moment I have only made a little bit of aging to the bezel, lowered the crystal, remove the cyclope and a service to the movement. I will soon make the case reshaping and maybe work on / change the dial.

• Love
Reactions: jasonsouza77

jasonsouza77

15/12/13
LOOKs fabulous. thanks for taking the time to take these pics. may i ask you something? why did u remove the cyclops? did you consider buying the sea dweller since that one does not have the cyclops. also do you think that the vintage non date sub 5512(?) and the DRSD look alike>? thought of getting them both.

Reactions: wolfg13

wolfg13

22/5/19
After a long search and examine with M between the all variant of jkfs 1680, 5512, 5513 the best done was this 1680 red since I didn't want to make a ultra franken. I ruled out in the beginning the DRSD because I don't like the case that is thicker and the gas escape valve.
The decision to remove the cyclope is very personal, but I can guarantee that the original one was orrible.
the final result that I want to obtain is like this, and as you can see It hasn't the cyclope......
Hope I have clarified all your doubts, in case you find me here

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
After a long search and examine with M between the all variant of jkfs 1680, 5512, 5513 the best done was this 1680 red since I didn't want to make a ultra franken. I ruled out in the beginning the DRSD because I don't like the case that is thicker and the gas escape valve.
The decision to remove the cyclope is very personal, but I can guarantee that the original one was orrible.
the final result that I want to obtain is like this, and as you can see It hasn't the cyclope......
would you have a link to where you bought the domed crystal? 😍

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
I used to own a gen 1680, and removing the cyclops was a thing that a lot of folks were doing. Not sure if it was a short term trend or just a regular thing, but there was some debate about it and advocacy for it.

The cyclops is iconic, for sure, but even with a gen I can read the date better without it. I guess I tend to look at my watches from an angle, rather than straight on.

buck212

Horology Curious
21/7/22
This looks great. Is that the original JKF dial? The red really pops.

wolfg13

22/5/19
I used to own a gen 1680, and removing the cyclops was a thing that a lot of folks were doing. Not sure if it was a short term trend or just a regular thing, but there was some debate about it and advocacy for it.

The cyclops is iconic, for sure, but even with a gen I can read the date better without it. I guess I tend to look at my watches from an angle, rather than straight on.
Usually in my built I never get away from the gen, but in this case I wanted to try and I have to say that I like it more without the cyclope.

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
whenever you attack the case profile, lugs and crown guards, I would love having your approach to shaping

do you have a model? or do you do it by instinct?