• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

16613/116613 What to buy where to get it?

Ruprekt

I'm Pretty Popular
18/11/10
I get PM'd this question so often I thought I'd start a thread on it. First off, I don't do cheap crap reps or try to save a buck or two on cost. Do it right once, and it'll last longer. There's plenty of low cost 16613's on the dealers sites you can buy if you want cheap. Purplish dials, wrong date fonts, etc. If that doesn't bug you then you can stop reading right here and go spend your money.

Hands down the best 16613 is the WM9, but we all know how rare and expensive that can be. That said, they pop up every once in a great while on the sales forums. If you really want a good rep, be patient and keep a sharp eye out. Alternatively, the MBW is a very good choice, and a lower price too. Beyond that, the only real alternative for this watch is to build one. First step in this process is to set aside your sanity and a sizable chunk of your cash flow. WM9 and MBW side by side. Can you tell which is which?

e7a5eter.jpg

The biggest problem here is the bracelet. Reg (Narikaa) used to be able to get the MBW tt bracelet, but apparently that's not available any more. So you can try to source a tt bracelet through one of a few dealers who can get a wrapped version by itself. Trial and error with more than a few dealers will get you a result. Probably....

The elusive MBW bracelet.

ydahyvyg.jpg

I'd go with a TC case for the base of a 16613 build since it's gen construction and basically the best one available since the Sean case went away. You may have to contend with SEL fitment issues (loose or tight) because of a non TC tt bracelet.

The bezel is another sticking point. Apparently a WSO bezel from eBay may work, although it can be tricky to get it on a non WSO retainer. Or you can try to source a gen bezel off eBay or TRF. Get in line for that one..... They don't come up often and when they do they are gone fast.

If you're not dissuaded from trying a 16613 build yet, your either very determined or need therapy. (getting laid may help as well) In the end if you can stand the bumps in the road you will be rewarded with something like this. Gen parts galore here, but the investment was ridiculous. More of a "could I do it" than "should I do it" deal.

9e5ybydu.jpg

eqena5yp.jpg

In my opinion it's less stressful to go with the new 116613 from BP. (It also involves much less financial sodomy) Overall it's a good solid watch, and can be built to a pretty high standard with a bit of work. If you're a fan of the black and gold version of the 116613, then life is much easier. The blue version has a major flaw in the blurple dial. It has a weird purple tinge to it that although it's kind of cool looking, is completely wrong. The remedy for this is the WM9 tt blue dial. Fortunately both BK and TC both have these dials for sale. But as always, there's a hitch. The WM9 dial doesn't fit, it's too big. Sooo... Make it fit! My way of doing this is low tech and simple. The stock BP dial is 1.09" in diameter. (pictures below) I used a wooden dowel and a bit of hot glue to secure the dial to a cordless drill. I used a fine emery board and slowly sanded down the diameter of the WM9 dial until it was exactly the right size. The center and edges of the dial may lose a bit of color but it's minimal and a blue sharpie plus a steady hand fixed that perfectly. Mounting the BP markers on the WM9 dial is pretty straight forward. The holes in the dial need to be enlarged to fit the BP pins. I secured the markers from the back with jewelers epoxy.

jeqy8ase.jpg

5y6e6a2y.jpg

nepyjeba.jpg

ehyte2at.jpg

You can either live with the pale gold lettering on the bezel or do a gold paint mod. I chose the latter and got a much more gen like look.

upereru2.jpg

Also, the BP's seem to suffer from the hands being a bit weaker lume than the markers. A very thin coat of white paint on the back side of the hands evens it out completely. Now the lume looks even and much more gen like.

je7aqube.jpg

Here's the end result. So far.....

yqa3y8eg.jpg

yzy6a5e7.jpg

Sent from my iCrap

Reactions: KJ2020

barth

Put Some Respect On My Name
5/10/12
Nice post, and what an amazing outcome ! Thx for sharing

justlounging

I'm Pretty Popular
14/10/10
Fantastic stuff Rup! Rep points incoming. :)

*edit: Pics of my 16613

htchw4.jpg

prwcp.jpg

rols16610

Put Some Respect On My Name
20/4/12
Great info mate, very useful, this is one of my favourite Rollies :cheers:

Rudy40

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/10/12
Nice right up! I had rsh do a BP 16613 build for me ....Turned out very nice ...but couldn't get a past the wokky rehualt...How is the rehault on the MBW? Is it the same angle as the WM9 or TC case sets?
my close friend mitch baria done a similar build on a TC case it turned out great...but he had a lot of trouble with the WSO bezel ring...but after three days of sanding it finally turned out!
Rep points coming your way!

Cromag

Renowned Member
11/8/12
Thanks for posting this info! Proper models of these are the most challenging to find in the rep world. Congrats! Wear it well.

Mad rep points! :)

Cromag

Renowned Member
11/8/12
Here's a pic of the be 116613LB with updated sapphire dial.
mezu4y9u.jpg

DBG138

Horology Curious
15/8/13
So which maker has the best 11613? And which dealer sells them?

Manwellsp

Known Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
19/6/14
will bp's 11613 accept a Gen crystal or bezel? Does the BP have gold also on the sides of the bracelet links?

Manwellsp

Known Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
19/6/14
I bought a BP 116613 but bk says the bezels he sells (wm9) are no good for this mod because the are way too thin, different material and pearl. Is he wrong and I should buy one anyway or I have misunderstood the thread?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Ruprekt

I'm Pretty Popular
18/11/10
BK is right. The 116613 bezels are different from the 16613. Try eBay.

Manwellsp

Known Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
19/6/14
But in this thread they say it is possible? Or am I misreading?

Er colombo

Criegg

Renowned Member
23/4/13
Florida
Great write up on my favorite watches! 100% correct in having to set aside a large chunk of cash to do the build right or buy the wm9... I have owned both the MBW and many WM9s.. The MBW is on the left in your first pic because it has rehaut engravings and a tad different/thicker CG..

I'll add on with some photos of my wm9!!

1080x1440.jpeg.2edc41b421dd4ea39255e3794fd760dc

1080x1440.jpeg.31190ad62e8b453a8386052302ad6d9d

1080x1440.jpeg.c18ba6f4d3cd4113b3887d1f630ed9a7

525x700.jpeg.3e43694610aa4afd8f09f1a79eee5d29

Rudy40

Banned
6/10/12
Well bro they made a couple of different MBW that had rehualt engraving and some didn't...Some are gen construction bezel assembly some are not! But still can be molded to look awesome! But the WM9 still rules the roost with the best features and gen construction!
A Amazing watch for sure if built right!

Rudy40

Banned
6/10/12
Stock MBW without rehualt engraving!
e4ahyga2.jpg

etygeraj.jpg

udepudy7.jpg

zygyze7u.jpg

asape2ys.jpg

Sent from my Rolex thinking brain!

Rudy40

Banned
6/10/12
MBW with mods! Watch guys build!
Specs:/ Running on the Swiss 2836-2 which they come with!
TC hands
TC dial
Gen Rolex insert
Gen Rolex crown
Gen Rolex TT Jubilee bracelet
Gen spec tube
CGs worked by watchguy
All other mods also performed by watchguy!
So these builds can also turn out nice! Even thought the bezel construction isn't gen SPEC ..And the gen spec TC dial was a direct fit also the gen insert was a direct fit!... The rehualt depth looks nice..and the chamfering on the lugs look close as any other! The real difference in between this MBW and WM9 is the construction CGs lugs and it's ability to take gen crystal bezel assembly etc..
the rest of this build is stock MBW with what some say has triple gold wrapped plating on the bezel ring and other stock gold parts on the MBW
nu5ezy5a.jpg

y7evunez.jpg

u9emybab.jpg

They can be moded to look dangerously close...and the WM9 can be moded to look dead on almost it!

Sent from my Rolex thinking brain!