• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

15202 Gen vs JF

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
you mean you find the JF 15202 rep not palatable even at $400? lol. Then you are harsher than me. I was judging it as a $400 watch and thought it looked ok, flaws and all. ;)

LOL, no, for 400$ it is good as a watch if you don't care about the gen.

However if you care about the gen or want to compare (like in my case) it has so many flaws that it is just not the same watch... unlike the 15400 (that is far from prefect as well), this looks like a blind man tried to replicate it while someone verbally describe the watch on the phone :)

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
LOL, no, for 400$ it is good as a watch if you don't care about the gen.

However if you care about the gen or want to compare (like in my case) it has so many flaws that it is just not the same watch... unlike the 15400 (that is far from prefect as well), this looks like a blind man tried to replicate it while someone verbally describe the watch on the phone :)

well yes I do agree with you. If you read my original statement, it says that I like it as a $400 watch, but without comparing it to the gen. Of course, you are correct about the flaws of the JF 15202. The rep may as well have a different logo printed on it, as far from the AP 15202 as it is.
I agree that the 15400 is far better repped than this, but you will be happy if you are an owner of a gen 15202. You do not want a 1:1 repped version of your watch available at $400, and when you walk down the street, your watch will become scarred battling against hordes of JF 15202s.

Reactions: Allure and csthe

naturaqua

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/7/18
Really hope they release a V2 soon... once you see the center of the hands on the JF it cannot be unseen....

Reactions: csthe

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Really hope they release a V2 soon... once you see the center of the hands on the JF it cannot be unseen....

Do you really think that v2 will be a perfect 1:1? Or v3 for that matter? Look at the 15400. 5 versions later it’s still flawed and imperfect. Even more versions for the diver and still very flawed. I too hope that v2 will have significant improvements but my hopes aren’t high going by past precedents of JF releases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure

naturaqua

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/7/18
Do you really think that v2 will be a perfect 1:1? Or v3 for that matter? Look at the 15400. 5 versions later it’s still flawed and imperfect. Even more versions for the diver and still very flawed. I too hope that v2 will have significant improvements but my hopes aren’t high going by past precedents of JF releases.

Yeah, I know, you're right, V2 won't be perfect either... I can live with the bad printing on the dial, a date window thats not perfect and flaws on the movement but the center pinion annoys me so much that I cannot spend my money on it. I've had the quartz version (from Sead) before, it was far from perfect - but it didn't have these kind of issues :)

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Yeah, I know, you're right, V2 won't be perfect either... I can live with the bad printing on the dial, a date window thats not perfect and flaws on the movement but the center pinion annoys me so much that I cannot spend my money on it. I've had the quartz version (from Sead) before, it was far from perfect - but it didn't have these kind of issues :)

Yes sir the irony that a cheap quartz watch gets right what the more expensive JF version fails to do.
The good news is that the “pinion” (technically hands base as pinion is the vertical stem the hands get attached to)can be trimmed, beveled and polished. But there are other tells like the horrible dial print, the date wheel, even the markers, are all poorly replicated and major letdowns.

theREALgoat

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
14/8/14
Is the JF really THAT off? I photoshopped the pinion cap and the date on the JF. I think correcting the date alone would do a lot for this model.

98a607f0869bc8305ff4394100b13465psed.jpg

Reactions: Revolper

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
Is the JF really THAT off? I photoshopped the pinion cap and the date on the JF. I think correcting the date alone would do a lot for this model.

98a607f0869bc8305ff4394100b13465psed.jpg

I second that. My 15202/5402 franken is based entirely on the jf base, unlike all other ap frankens I currently have. I’m absolutely happy with the jf base unlike many others around here even if I’m that AP obsessed guy that always searches for perfection. Instead of constantly criticising the 15202 offering I’d suggest people join the AD waiting lists - let me know how that goes for the majority of you:popcorn2:

theREALgoat

Patron
Certified
14/8/14
I second that. My 15202/5402 franken is based entirely on the jf base, unlike all other ap frankens I currently have. I’m absolutely happy with the jf base unlike many others around here even if I’m that AP obsessed guy that always searches for perfection. Instead of constantly criticising the 15202 offering I’d suggest people join the AD waiting lists - let me know how that goes for the majority of you:popcorn2:

Assuming the 2121 and the 9015 have dates that flip in the same direction. You could possibly use a custom/updated date wheel as an overlay for your current one.

asanibal

Renowned Member
19/10/08

Do you know if the JF 15202 is same dimension case as 15300?
could it be used for a 15300 franken ?

BIONONE

28/4/17
Do you know if the JF 15202 is same dimension case as 15300?
could it be used for a 15300 franken ?

The 15300 got a different movement (3120) than the 15202.

additionally the 15300 got a different shaped case with a different angle on the bezel, a different crown (iirc) and of course a different clasp (assumably the bracelet on its own is also different)...

the answer is no - the 15202 is not a base for a 15300 franken.

But i remember that one of the franken-master-modders slaughterer62 posted a franken 15300 in his own section on here and it looks truly breathtaking.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Well R as you know in such matters it’s always highly subjective. What matters is how the watch looks to YOU. What anyone else thinks does not matter.
In any forum you’re going to get a myriad of opinions. :)

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Instead of constantly criticising the 15202 offering I’d suggest people join the AD waiting lists - let me know how that goes for the majority of you:popcorn2:

I did ask the AP sales rep if he could allocate a 15202 for me and how long it will take. He told me that he could and that it will take 3-4 months. I am however not a fan of the 15202 due to the delicate movement.
On a side note, T, for the sake of education can you help me with the following questions please?

1. Does the original 15202 and the the current one have the same movement?

2. Visually are the dials the same color for both the vintage and modern 15202?

3. What are the other differences besides the datewheel color?

I never did research on the 15202 and figured that I can just ask someone with much better knowledge than me in the model. Thank you kindly! Beautiful 15202 franken btw!

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
I did ask the AP sales rep if he could allocate a 15202 for me and how long it will take. He told me that he could and that it will take 3-4 months. I am however not a fan of the 15202 due to the delicate movement.
On a side note, T, for the sake of education can you help me with the following questions please?

1. Does the original 15202 and the the current one have the same movement?

2. Visually are the dials the same color for both the vintage and modern 15202?

3. What are the other differences besides the datewheel color?

I never did research on the 15202 and figured that I can just ask someone with much better knowledge than me in the model. Thank you kindly! Beautiful 15202 franken btw!

You Sir are an esteemed AP client and I bet they could shorten any waiting list timeframe for you. Here in Europe the waiting times tend to be much longer, particularly if one is not an established client. Anyway. I too once thought the 15202 reference to be too odd and small sized but it takes a little day-to-day wearing to fall in love with it.

In terms of your questions:
1. The original 5402 used exactly the same movement as the modern 15202. Cal 2121 was developed in the late 60ies by I think JLC and was used by AP as cal 2121, PP as cal 28-255 and VC as cal 1121. Later on AP acquired the exclusive rights to the movement and they still use it unchanged. I’m aware of some minor modifications to the balance wheel and setting lever but nothing else. I’m no watchmaker though so I might be mistaken;

2. The dial colour changed quite dramatically over time. The new 15202 (post 2014) is a rather dull dark blue that radiates in direct sunlight. The original 5402 blue was more vibrant dybamic blue from what I’ve seen. But of course there are many variations over the years as with any dial colour. One particularity I’ve discovered in my research on the 5402 ans 15202 models is that the Beast dial tapisserie and colour of a given year always follows the Jumbo tapisserie pattern and colour hues. That’s what made me interested in the Beast at the beginning. For instance the 25th anniversary dial is 1:1 to the modern 15202 in terms of tapisserie size and colour.

3. I’m only aware of a slightly increased thickness as the 5402’s 7-ish mm monobloc construction was gradually transformed to the 8mm 15202 using an open caseback. And then again there are variations - some 15202 are monobloc even with the display caseback.

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
You Sir are an esteemed AP client and I bet they could shorten any waiting list timeframe for you. Here in Europe the waiting times tend to be much longer, particularly if one is not an established client. Anyway. I too once thought the 15202 reference to be too odd and small sized but it takes a little day-to-day wearing to fall in love with it.

In terms of your questions:
1. The original 5402 used exactly the same movement as the modern 15202. Cal 2121 was developed in the late 60ies by I think JLC and was used by AP as cal 2121, PP as cal 28-255 and VC as cal 1121. Later on AP acquired the exclusive rights to the movement and they still use it unchanged. I’m aware of some minor modifications to the balance wheel and setting lever but nothing else. I’m no watchmaker though so I might be mistaken;

2. The dial colour changed quite dramatically over time. The new 15202 (post 2014) is a rather dull dark blue that radiates in direct sunlight. The original 5402 blue was more vibrant dybamic blue from what I’ve seen. But of course there are many variations over the years as with any dial colour. One particularity I’ve discovered in my research on the 5402 ans 15202 models is that the Beast dial tapisserie and colour of a given year always follows the Jumbo tapisserie pattern and colour hues. That’s what made me interested in the Beast at the beginning. For instance the 25th anniversary dial is 1:1 to the modern 15202 in terms of tapisserie size and colour.

3. I’m only aware of a slightly increased thickness as the 5402’s 7-ish mm monobloc construction was gradually transformed to the 8mm 15202 using an open caseback. And then again there are variations - some 15202 are monobloc even with the display caseback.

Thank you T for the very detailed explanation. I guess your knowledge of royal oak is the epitome of what we find here or anywhere else. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer!

As for waiting lists, I think that it’s just a lot easier in Asia somehow as compared with Europe. Ironical considering the origin of the brand. I don’t think I’m treated specially, but in my region, i think that it’s just a lot easier for us to obtain coveted models as opposed to yours. We are segregated by markets and not really personal influence I think.

And so you went the sensible route and built your own 15202 franken. With the gen caliber you took care of at least 3 issues: the date wheel font, the instant date change and of course the look from caseback view. Your watch and a stock JF one are like heaven and earth so it does not count as a JF. ;)