• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

15202 Gen vs JF

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
And so you went the sensible route and built your own 15202 franken. With the gen caliber you took care of at least 3 issues: the date wheel font, the instant date change and of course the look from caseback view.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, those are three big issues to remedy for a proper 15202.
The cal. 2121 also allows you to thin the JF base watch a little more.
With the 2121 you get to use gen hands, with proper thin pinion size
With the 2121 you can also mount a gen 5402/15202 dial of your choice and dial swap as your tastes change or your "dream dial" finally becomes available.
All in all, using the cal. 2121 is the way to go if you are serious about this model.
Too bad prices for all of these parts have skyrocketed since tosoboso posted his sales thread for the parts he finally made into his own Franken. I am sure he is happy he used those parts for his project, rather than sell them off in his garage sale.

Reactions: legend

zaeim

I'm Pretty Popular
15/2/16
You Sir are an esteemed AP client and I bet they could shorten any waiting list timeframe for you. Here in Europe the waiting times tend to be much longer, particularly if one is not an established client. Anyway. I too once thought the 15202 reference to be too odd and small sized but it takes a little day-to-day wearing to fall in love with it.

In terms of your questions:
1. The original 5402 used exactly the same movement as the modern 15202. Cal 2121 was developed in the late 60ies by I think JLC and was used by AP as cal 2121, PP as cal 28-255 and VC as cal 1121. Later on AP acquired the exclusive rights to the movement and they still use it unchanged. I’m aware of some minor modifications to the balance wheel and setting lever but nothing else. I’m no watchmaker though so I might be mistaken;

2. The dial colour changed quite dramatically over time. The new 15202 (post 2014) is a rather dull dark blue that radiates in direct sunlight. The original 5402 blue was more vibrant dybamic blue from what I’ve seen. But of course there are many variations over the years as with any dial colour. One particularity I’ve discovered in my research on the 5402 ans 15202 models is that the Beast dial tapisserie and colour of a given year always follows the Jumbo tapisserie pattern and colour hues. That’s what made me interested in the Beast at the beginning. For instance the 25th anniversary dial is 1:1 to the modern 15202 in terms of tapisserie size and colour.

3. I’m only aware of a slightly increased thickness as the 5402’s 7-ish mm monobloc construction was gradually transformed to the 8mm 15202 using an open caseback. And then again there are variations - some 15202 are monobloc even with the display caseback.

We always learn from you bro, thanks

Last edited:

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
I second that. My 15202/5402 franken is based entirely on the jf base, unlike all other ap frankens I currently have. I’m absolutely happy with the jf base unlike many others around here even if I’m that AP obsessed guy that always searches for perfection. Instead of constantly criticising the 15202 offering I’d suggest people join the AD waiting lists - let me know how that goes for the majority of you:popcorn2:

Brother, where did you get your gen parts for your franken 15202. Im looking to getting one built too.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Brother, where did you get your gen parts for your franken 15202. Im looking to getting one built too.

I don't think this is a question which should be asked or replied openly. It can severely compromise the source and channel. Try a PM and see if you get a reply.

Reactions: Allure

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
I don't think this is a question which should be asked or replied openly. It can severely compromise the source and channel. Try a PM and see if you get a reply.
Why? It could serve other members as well