• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

1 gen high-end watch or multiple reps?

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
95% of the threads have already been posted and discussed 100% of the time. Watch forum is one continous tape loop, like an old echoplex.

Z
EP-3_02.jpg

What an awesome and obscure reference! :thumbsup:

Reactions: sunnydale

Tonyy

Renowned Member
3/7/13
Reps are good to purchase to see how you like it before dropping dough on a genuine.

In my case: I have a genuine 14060 and wore it all the time until I found out about this forum. I now have quite a few watches where I can rotate, it keeps things fresh.

P4GTR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/9/07
I like to tinker. I like the hobby. Can't do either with a single, solitary gen.

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
I would take one high end Gen. But high end would mean a Patek, AP, Gold Rolex.

+1.
I would go for a good VC, Patek, Lange or JLC as a keeper, other than that, reps all the way for variety of choices.

nlnlnlnene

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/10
high-end is usually taken to mean PP, Lange, VC, Breguet, Blancpain, GP, FP Journe, Richard Mille, JLC, etc and some better watches (in terms of movements, not diamonds or gold) from luxury brands.

I mean let's not lose perspective.
High-end watches start around 20k+.

Haute horlogerie usually 30k from JLC or 50k+ from VC/PP/AP.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
Yeah. That was my point as well. Can't see how I'd get bored with wearing a nice Patek, or an IWC Perpetual Calender.

nlnlnlnene

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/10
Yeah. That was my point as well. Can't see how I'd get bored with wearing a nice Patek, or an IWC Perpetual Calender.

Yeah same here.

Also the two are not mutually exclusive.
If you own a high end gen, servicing can cost 1500 after parts so adding a 500 dollar rep or two is not a big deal.

Taze00

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
7/8/13
There are so many other high end watchmakers that aren't being mentioned here. Although a lot of good ones have been mentioned.

Patek so oftenly referenced anymore its almost sickening. But its noted that the reason they are so popular and exclusive and haute hologerie is because of the calibre of workmanship.

It all depends whether you find a model you know will get some real wrist time. For me I'd definitely be a speedmaster professional with the 321/861/1861.

Again though its a matter of perspective. The term high end means different things to different people. To me its a term of quality. Accuracy, innovation, timelessness.

I may get some flak for this but I don't care. Longines is a great company that has been reliable for years. Although many people wouldn't call them high end, I would certainly give some of their pieces that status.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

DreambreaX

Renowned Member
26/11/12
I would take one high end Gen. But high end would mean a Patek, AP, Gold Rolex.

the most problem as a human being is, you never satisfied for only 1 watch as a hobby.

i pick multiple reps, later, after having many reps, you can choose only 1 for the gen. the rep is like a tester.

smokiedabong

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/8/12
I get more joy from a $90 homage I've built than I get from the expensive gen.

carlton

Put Some Respect On My Name
2/10/11
The excitement is only there before getting the watch, after getting the watch and a while of use, the feeling will start to fade off and I will be looking for another purchase. If i'm getting a high end gen, I might have use up most of my available fund for it and will not have enough fund for my next hunting so I will go for multiple rep.

theflyingdutchman

I'm Pretty Popular
20/3/06

No you wouldn't... after 200 plus reps I went gen! All these little, very little or BIGGER rep issues started killing me....

7enaryju.jpg

jumu7epu.jpg

Alex_P1

I'm Pretty Popular
11/5/12
For me, the answer is 'both'!

I bought myself a gen pre-owned pre-Bond SMP 300 as a 30th birthday present and still love that watch. I very soon noticed that it was picking up dings and scratches through everyday wear and, as the value was going up (due to being out of production), I decided to get a second watch to 'share the wear'.

I looked around at about the $1000 mark but didn't find anything I liked as much as the Pumpkin PO which was out of my budget.

I was Googling one day to try to find any watch fairs where I might be able to buy something at trade prices and started to see replica sites coming up. I'd only ever seen Canal St type 'fakes' before on the beaches of Turkey so was initially impressed by the scam sites until I started recognising pictures of POs from the Omega website!

That lead me here and to a $100 POrikaa which got me into a hobby I now love, and which takes up much less space than building cars which I was doing before!

I've owned about 15 reps and have 8 in the box at the moment. None have felt as nice to operate as my gen, but a couple of my PAMs look of a similar quality on the wrist.

Will I buy another gen? Yes, but probably only when I've had it as a rep and loved it!

ratpatrolteam01

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
10/12/10
I like the idea of me getting a real watch... when I got it I didn't get the thrill.

When I have the TC sub, I feel like I still have the thrill of saving up for the gen... but I'm sure that when I get teh real thing, i'll be like.. eh.