• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

1 day old PO and crystal cracks overnight???

Glt9007

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/8/11
Got my WBK watch yesterday in the mail. I posted to his post that I had received it and noted that it had a small chip between the 1 & 2 position.

Yesterday:

6061837062_2eee0f1403_z.jpg

And woke up this morning, got shower and dressed and went to watch box to take this one out and here's what it looked like:

6061838322_601a2bc930_z.jpg

Was in near perfect shape last night and this this morning. Any thoughts on why this would have happened?

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Wow spectacular, first time i see something like that, its like the crystal has melted!!! I really cant imagine what caused that felling apart...

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Holy crap! It happens with dome crystals but usually on Pams, not POs.
Impurity in the crystal would be my guess in this case.

Comc

Renowned Member
18/5/11
Really feel for you Greg. You must have been pretty excited to wear it, then to find this in your watchbox must be real annoying.

If it's any consolation, this kind of crystal failure has been known to happen previously, and I am pretty sure Stan at WBK will treat you well. The only difficulty you may have is actually communicating with him.

I have an issue with a watch I received from him and now 7 days later, still no response.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
WBK travels a lot in his day job which is why comms can be out for a time, he'll catch up soon enough.

Col.

rol_man

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
25/7/08
I had the exact same thing happen last year to one of his Seamasters. Doesn't even appear to be mineral glass. Sent back but never heard from him so make sure you keep after it.

frankt8242

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/06
Look at the bright side!!...>>

The whole watch turned into gold overnight!!....At $1800+/oz, you're rich!!!
Just kidding of course, but Stan will make you OK .....He's one of the "good guys"

Glt9007

11/8/11
Gold over night..... That's good!!

I'll email & PM him on this and see what he'll do. Can't hurt at this point.

Really was looking forward to wearing it today, but wearing my modded DSN PAM00177 on my strap today so it's still all good!

Comc

Renowned Member
18/5/11
Sent back but never heard from him so make sure you keep after it.

So you sent back a faulty watch and you never heard anything from him, not even a refund? I thought WBK was "one of the good guys"?

If he is travelling for work purposes, why can't he keep the forum informed of this? Saves us all speculating.

Last update was that he was travelling until the 8/8 and it is clear from this forum that he has dispatched a watch since then, but still no communication with myself or others with problems. My patience is running out..............

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
WTF?? Thats weird, now I've heard of PAM crystals exploding (crystal popping out) at high altitudes (like when flying) but for it to explode and shatter, well I'm finding that hard to believe. I do see the scratch in your first pic, however look at your second pic, its pretty obvious it didn't break where your indicating its scratched and theres no way that tiny chip caused that damage.:lol1:

I don't know what your thinking, but I don't see how WBK could possibly be responsible for that.

Inushuk

19/10/10
+1 ...

Why did you let your PO so close under a 2500 Watt spot light ?.... It just melt :)

Glt9007

11/8/11
Man! this site is full of a bunch of rocket scientists I see now....

Did I start the thread by accusing him or even suggesting I wanted to return it? No. I simply asked for input of what it could have been - OTHER THAN DROPPING IT or MELTING IT! I bought a Rep. Doesn't make me a dumb-ass!!! Some of the posts here however.....

Inushuk

19/10/10
sorry no offense ... jute a "joke"... but it really look like it melt ..
Amazing ... never saw such thing on a watch ... :)

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
Man! this site is full of a bunch of rocket scientists I see now....

Did I start the thread by accusing him or even suggesting I wanted to return it? No. I simply asked for input of what it could have been - OTHER THAN DROPPING IT or MELTING IT! I bought a Rep. Doesn't make me a dumb-ass!!! Some of the posts here however.....

LMFAO, and thank you. I am rather smart.:sub4me:

I never said you accused him of anything. But you said you emailed him to see what he would do. WTF?? What should he do with a smashed watch?? Nothing.:daydreaming:
sincerley,
dumbass (sub4me):chatterbox:

WTF?? Thats weird, now I've heard of PAM crystals exploding (crystal popping out) at high altitudes (like when flying) but for it to explode and shatter, well I'm finding that hard to believe. I do see the scratch in your first pic, however look at your second pic, its pretty obvious it didn't break where your indicating its scratched and theres no way that tiny chip caused that damage.:lol1:

I don't know what your thinking, but I don't see how WBK could possibly be responsible for that.

Anbody else think Im a dumass for posting this OR does MY version seem more likley??:err:

Glt9007

11/8/11
No worries Inushuk. Didn't mean to snap. Better judgement told me not to even start this post looking for ideas. Newbie and all, but......

But, sub4me, you're an idealistic person I can see. And smart? You really flatter yourself don't ya. Once again, you've shown just "how smart" you are by forming your own conclusions as to my motives of which are not stated nor implied. By emailing him and PM'ing him, I did exactly what I set out to do in this topic. To see if he had any ideas as to why this could have happened and possibly point me to a good deal on another crystal. $100 wasted doesn't matter if it's a smashed watch or a match thrown on a c-note. It's wasted either way... YOU, however, are the one that thinks I'm trying to hold him responsible and feels compelled to keep pointing that out. And, there again. The chip I mentioned in the first picture. Did I say it CAUSED the crack? Nooo. Did I say it cracked in the same spot? Eh, no again...

But thanks for your input for what that's worth...

petemoss

16/12/10
Just a guess but maybe the crystal was put on before the paint or lume had a chance to dry. The trapped fumes may have caused the cystal to "melt".

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
My experience with one of Stan's pieces a little less than 2 months ago-

Ever see a crystal do this?

eta- in the end Stan replaced the crystal, but it wasn't too close to what was originally in place (lower height, not quite even with insert).

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
Better judgement told me not to even start this post
sub4me, you're an idealistic person I can see. And smart? You really flatter yourself don't ya.

You should have listened to your better judgement.:huh:

Yes I do flatter myself, thank you very much.:cute:

But really to go and on as if you don't realize what you posted and don't understand how anybody could think what I said is well just silly and to say your not expecting WBK to replace or repair free of charge is BS, thats exactly what your looking for. You decided to post pics of your smashed watch in HIS SALES forum, I mean WTF?? Was that really necessary?? Did you think for a second that was the right place to post that?? Then you go and start another thread about the same topic, which is blatant attempt to pressure WBK into doing what you want. Dude you ain't the first guy to try a pull sh-t over on a dealer.:realmad:

Comc

Renowned Member
18/5/11
Got my WBK watch yesterday in the mail. I posted to his post that I had received it and noted that it had a small chip between the 1 & 2 position.

Yesterday:

6061837062_2eee0f1403_z.jpg
Soooooooo......are we saying that we dont believe Glt when he said that he received the watch from the dealer with a chip on the crystal??
Ok so the crystal has ultimately been destroyed, however, would you not rightly have a slight issue with a dealer who posted a watch to you with a chip on the crystal?
I sure as hell know that i would, and would like to think that a basic QC would reveal such flaws.
I am actually waiting on a pumpkin PO coming from WBK so here's hoping it is in as good a condition as the first rep I got from him months ago.

Awra best!