• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ginault owner's comparison to reps?

a5539925

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/7/18
Invicta masteer race

Ginault = 50% pagani design

Last edited:

a5539925

29/7/18
At least the pagani is waterproof unlike ginault or reps

Carbon Summit

Renowned Member
10/12/19
United States
How many people who have commented on this thread have owned a Ginault?

As the OP I'd remind you all that I was asking Ginault OWNERS how it compares to other reps.

Like I said in the the beginning "No interest in the "controversy of Ginault" either. Plenty of that online already, just looking for a rep vs Ginault comparison from people who have owned them both."

exia78

8/2/14
That's good they changed the movement to something of value. Unfortunately there still doing those Invicta watches discount strategy but at least the movement is a great step.

If you are going to troll Ginault, at least use real facts.

Invicta's discount strategy that you mentioned is they set the retail price of their watches high, say around $899, and then sell it for $189 or something like that giving people the illusion they got a great deal for it.

The Ocean Rover II's retail is around $1,500 depending on the model. And during the pre-order promotion, you get a 20%-25% discount roughly off the retail. The OR2's are traded on the secondary markets for around $1,100-$1,300. There was even a period of time the prices on the secondary market surpass the retail because they were such high demand for the OR2 but low supply.

For the OR1, it's retailed at $1,299 for the no-date, and $1499 for the date version. They offered a steep discount (50%) for a limited amount of time when they first launched the brand to the world. In return, they ask the early adopters to give their honest reviews. The discount was then lowered to 40%, 30%, 20% and finally no more discounts were offered on the OR1. And they were sold at full retail. They made it clear to their customers each discount bracket would only last for a limited amount of time, and they would not go back on it. For people who got the discounts (especially the earlier ones) it was really a great deal, not an illusion, or marketing ploy like Invicta.

Many early adopters including myself actually made money flipping the OR1 now. If you have to compare Ginault's pricing and secondary market value a, it's actually more like Rolex than Invicta.

On a side note, the reviews for the OR1 were overwhelmingly positive. Ginault shocked the watch world the type of quality a Sub homage can and ought to be. But that doesn't really surprise the crew here at RWI because we have known TC's skills, and ability already. Dude is one of the most talented and skilled watchmaker this industry has seen.

For people like us who want to buy Ginault, we are happy they are offering pre-order discounts.

The above information are all historical facts and can easily be verified independently. I know Ginault's existence most likely got in the way of certain interest groups but trying to troll a good quality brand this hard with fake BS information is really poor taste.

Last edited:

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Like I said in the the beginning "No interest in the "controversy of Ginault" either. Plenty of that online already, just looking for a rep vs Ginault comparison from people who have owned them both."

Well just look at the price, Ginault (TC) is around double the price of the average NWBIG rep, I seriously doubt that double the price means double the quality in the 500-1500 price range.

In the end it's up to you, and even if the quality is better, it's gonna be marginally so, the function price - quality is (usually) not exponential or even linear, it's more like a logarithmic curve.

Finally the question becomes: would you really pay double for way less than double the quality?

And if you pay attention, that's also what drives some rep buyers to buy reps instead of gens, would you really pay 20 times the price for way less than 20 times the quality?

Last edited:

exia78

8/2/14
At least the pagani is waterproof unlike ginault or reps

Your comment is laughable! TC Subs were tried and trued to the rated WR by so many of us here who walked before you. No reason Ginault is any different. Do a search on the Ginault forums plenty of people have taken the Ocean Rovers I and II to diving sessions.

If you don't know, don't chime in. Don't waste precious web resources and energy posting BS.

ZFFrfj.jpg
ZFF8Q1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Perpetual

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
As the OP I'd remind you all that I was asking Ginault OWNERS how it compares to other reps.

That's not how the forum works - you cannot moderate who is and who isn't allowed to post in 'your' thread.

Based on your criteria, you have 1 owner (Hincliminci) who has provided you with a detailed, fair, and balanced opinion.

exia78 thinks a Ginault is as good as a Rolex. That viewpoint is trash - I don't need to own one to tell you that, and neither does anyone else.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
That's not how the forum works - you cannot moderate who is and who isn't allowed to post in 'your' thread.

Based on your criteria, you have 1 owner (Hincliminci) who has provided you with a detailed, fair, and balanced opinion.

exia78 thinks a Ginault is as good as a Rolex. That viewpoint is trash - I don't need to own one to tell you that, and neither does anyone else.

Hale Berry > Gin & Tonic > Invicta > Ginault > Muiramas > Rolex > Oscar the Grouch > Ginault Movement

(from now on this is how I will express myself, I really like it!)

Reactions: derjenigewelcher

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
If you are going to troll Ginault, at least use real facts.

Invicta's discount strategy that you mentioned is they set the retail price of their watches high, say around $899, and then sell it for $189 or something like that giving people the illusion they got a great deal for it.

The Ocean Rover II's retail is around $1,500 depending on the model. And during the pre-order promotion, you get a 20%-25% discount roughly off the retail. The OR2's are traded on the secondary markets for around $1,100-$1,300. There was even a period of time the prices on the secondary market surpass the retail because they were such high demand for the OR2 but low supply.

For the OR1, it's retailed at $1,299 for the no-date, and $1499 for the date version. They offered a steep discount (50%) for a limited amount of time when they first launched the brand to the world. In return, they ask the early adopters to give their honest reviews. The discount was then lowered to 40%, 30%, 20% and finally no more discounts were offered on the OR1. And they were sold at full retail. They made it clear to their customers each discount bracket would only last for a limited amount of time, and they would not go back on it. For people who got the discounts (especially the earlier ones) it was really a great deal, not an illusion, or marketing ploy like Invicta.

Many early adopters including myself actually made money flipping the OR1 now. If you have to compare Ginault's pricing and secondary market value a, it's actually more like Rolex than Invicta.

On a side note, the reviews for the OR1 were overwhelmingly positive. Ginault shocked the watch world the type of quality a Sub homage can and ought to be. But that doesn't really surprise the crew here at RWI because we have known TC's skills, and ability already. Dude is one of the most talented and skilled watchmaker this industry has seen.

For people like us who want to buy Ginault, we are happy they are offering pre-order discounts.

Well thank you for confirming that ginault offers discounts just like Invicta. I appreciate you putting similar % in there too.
However you then compare their pricing model to Rolex which I don't believe offers discounts lol....At this point I don't know what you are smoking but it seems to get better as we read long ....

"Ginault shocked the watch world"...... Really bud? Very few know what a Ginault is and the ones who do know their stuff are not impressed by the price point, Asian movement, and lack of creativity....

"Dude is one of the most talented and skilled watchmaker this industry has seen" ..... I can tell with that amazing in house movement.... Come on man Noobs 4130 clone is more important than whatever TC has done.

Carbon Summit

Renowned Member
10/12/19
United States
Well just look at the price, Ginault (TC) is around double the price of the average NWBIG rep, I seriously doubt that double the price means double the quality in the 500-1500 price range.

In the end it's up to you, and even if the quality is better, it's gonna be marginally so, the function price - quality is (usually) not exponential or even linear, it's more like a logarithmic curve.

Finally the question becomes: would you really pay double for way less than double the quality?

And if you pay attention, that's also what drives some rep buyers to buy reps instead of gens, would you really pay 20 times the price for way less than 20 times the quality?

mari115 Do YOU own a Ginault???

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
O my fucking god.
Its so simple:

1. Buy a Ginault
2. Dont buy a Ginault
3. Post either "Ginault is great" or "Ginault is BS" here.

Its like religion, just dividing people.
Its a Rep Watch Fan Forum here. We should be a community, not a bunch of teenie chicks brawling for a bottle of white wine.

white wine > red wine > rolex > his forum

Carbon Summit

Renowned Member
10/12/19
United States

I'm not trying to moderate this post as much as keep it on topic. I just asked for info from a certain group of the forum. I said up front I don't care about the drama and history of TC but here you guys are beating that dead horse. The point of my thread was to establish from someone who actually owns a Ginault how it compares to reps they have owned. And if you scroll back through again you'll see that Hincliminci wasn't the only person who posted with first hand owner knowledge.

I wanted first hand opinions. No different if this was a Porsche forum and I was asking about how the new 911 992 compares to the 997.2 variant. People giving me their opinion based on what they've read or what they imagine is really useless information. I want to hear from the guy who has a 992 and owned a 997.2.

mari115 your logic tells me I shouldn't own the gen watches I own because really they are not 30 times better than the rep of the same watch.

I was curious about Ginault because I've heard the reputation of TC watches in their day, and read the reviews on the Ginault OR II and its all very favorable short of the "history" which I could care less about, and anyone on this forum who does is a hypocrite.

1. I don't want to be "the fake Rolex guy"
2. I'd rather not lie to my coworkers/clients
3. I don't want to get stabbed in some Latin American country because of a fake Rolex
4. I actually like the look of the Rolex Submariner

Hinclimincli I agree with this a lot. Probably the reason I ended up ordering a Ginault. I own reps and enjoy them but there is #1. As a result when I find a rep I really love I usually end up buying the gen. Luckily for my wallet I haven't fallen in love with some ultra expensive watches!

Bottom line this is a hobby we all play in with expendable income. It doesn't have to make sense, the logic doesn't have to be perfect. It just has to make us happy.

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
I owned a Ginault and believe I gave you a very fair and balanced view of it. It is not above VSF quality wise. But they're two very different watches. 5 digit and 6 digit subs are widely different watches even though they share the same name. If you like the aesthetic it is a worthy option. It is very simple. Do you like how Ginault mixes current gen upgrades on a 5 gen case? Then you'll love it. If not, then no. But buying it cause its a step up from VSF (it will definitely beat your ARF, as VSF does as well) is the wrong way to approach it cause that's not the case.

Every other argument is trivial and unnecessary. If you like the aesthetic you will have a nice high quality watch. What else needs to be said really?

Last edited:

Carbon Summit

Renowned Member
10/12/19
United States
O my fucking god.
Its so simple:

1. Buy a Ginault
2. Dont buy a Ginault
3. Post either "Ginault is great" or "Ginault is BS" here.

Its like religion, just dividing people.
Its a Rep Watch Fan Forum here. We should be a community, not a bunch of teenie chicks brawling for a bottle of white wine.

white wine > red wine > rolex > his forum

I ordered one last week! Just wanted some first hand opinions before I pulled the trigger. The first hand opinions were all positive. Not one person who actually owned the watch had anything bad to say. So either its good or they have just drank the Kool Aid.

I agree with we should be a community.

I probably won't see my it until June or July, but when I do I'll wear it for a month and report back if "Ginault is great" or "Ginault is BS" here. :p

If it ends up I think "Ginault is BS" then I'll sell it. There are a lot of guys on the FB Ginault forum who are waiting to drink the Kool Aid and used watches seem to sell pretty quickly there.

Reactions: derjenigewelcher