• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Can one of the pam guru's

hpy540

Renowned Member
17/10/08
Can One of the Pam Guru's tell me the difference between the a 203a and a 004 PVD? I mean besides the date manufactured adn the serial number on the caseback?

Fiddo

-----
Patron
Certified
16/2/09
In a Causal Loop
In general overall appearance, not much. The 203A is a Pre-Vendome watch (made between 1993-1996/97 before Panerai was purchased by the Vendome group) The genuine 203A is rare watch selling today for about 70K+. Only 200 were made.

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
Well, assuming that you're talking about a Pre-A 004, I agree with what has been said above.

The pre-A 004 uses the same dial as the 203/A, just with the addition of "T-Swiss-T" printing below the 6.

If you're talking about an A series 004, this would have the thinner indices/numbers with the more rounded 6, instead of the more squared-off 6 of the Pre-V and Pre-A watches and would have "T Swiss T" printing.

If you're talking B series 004, that would most likely be a Luminova dial, instead of tritium, with the same skinny indices/numbers like the A series dials.

Movement decorations are different, but that's pretty much just down to the decoration of the bridges and all of these were long before the swan-neck regulators were ever involved.

hpy540

Renowned Member
17/10/08
Thanx Hooligan

Well, assuming that you're talking about a Pre-A 004, I agree with what has been said above.

The pre-A 004 uses the same dial as the 203/A, just with the addition of "T-Swiss-T" printing below the 6.

If you're talking about an A series 004, this would have the thinner indices/numbers with the more rounded 6, instead of the more squared-off 6 of the Pre-V and Pre-A watches and would have "T Swiss T" printing.

If you're talking B series 004, that would most likely be a Luminova dial, instead of tritium, with the same skinny indices/numbers like the A series dials.

Movement decorations are different, but that's pretty much just down to the decoration of the bridges and all of these were long before the swan-neck regulators were ever involved.

One more quick question. I have read the difference on the "Swiss movement" Thread. The differences between the so called "Swiss" movements and th eAisian clone's. But i have had a few issues withthe Red gear 21j's lately. In your opinion is the Swiss movemnt in a 6497 woth the money? I mean i have read that the 6497 is a tank anyway. So why pay the money for a "Swiss" when the asian rarely fails. Right?

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
Personally, for the 6497 specifically, I wouldn't pop for the Swiss movement. The 6497 design *is* a tank, and the A6497s are getting quite good.

Drulee

Renowned Member
7/5/09
Personally, for the 6497 specifically, I wouldn't pop for the Swiss movement. The 6497 design *is* a tank, and the A6497s are getting quite good.

Agreed here. Especially if you get your Asian 6497 serviced. Then it would probably be better than what the dealers, or even some of the "Swiss" ones from Offrei and Esslinger. The reason being what most consider "Swiss" to designate:

Real "Swiss" - Assembled with new Swiss components, serviced, and sealed (if it isn't sealed by manufacturer, don't be fooled into buying as "Genuine Swiss")
Typical "Swiss" or "ETA" - Assembled with old or NOS Swiss components, but not serviced and may be re-furbished or taken out of old watches
Asian - Assembled with new Asian components, definitely not properly oiled or serviced, but components nearly equal in quality to the Swiss components